The Case For Biden

snood

Wed 27 Mar, 2019 03:34 pm
@Brand X,
Brand X wrote:

Biden's poll numbers will faceplant like Jeb Bush, Bobby Jindal and Chris Christie's did shortly after he enters race.

Yeah, or not.
0 Replies

hightor

Wed 27 Mar, 2019 07:10 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
I think they’d rather lose to trump again than have Bernie in office.

Who are "they" — the DNC? I don't get the sense that the DNC is as powerful and influential in this campaign cycle. Compared to '16, no current candidate commands "establishment Democrat" support as HRC did. Meaning, I don't think they're in a position to "push" any one candidate.

I'm not sure that people who don't support Sanders are really "desperate to get anyone other than Bernie in office". Most Dems would be fine having him in office; they just don't want to see him nominated because they don't have your confidence that he can win. I think that if he did win it would not be with a big enough majority in either house to ram things through in FDR fashion. And the courts would be fighting him all the way.

Quote:
Bernie can definitely win.

It would be very difficult for me to summon up that much optimism. I think he's the "strongest" candidate right now, but you have to factor in his existing base of financial supporters who contributed to the '16 campaign. He has a ready source of small donations. His campaign will need more than money. And his victory will require really broad support. The coasts and the college towns aren't going to be enough.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Thu 28 Mar, 2019 08:34 pm
Interesting commentary between Lash and hightor regarding Sander's candidacy.

Clearly Bernie created a core of energetic followers during the last campaign, and has subsequently made himself one of the currently leading Democrat contenders for the next election. However the subsequent emergence of some very articulate, but truly loonie, far left advocates among Democrats have created a fairly difficult dilemma for Sanders. He can hardly reject their hyperbole, while, at the same time, they make more vivid the central weakness of the previous (and current ) Sanders campaigns= namely the unanswered question of just how he (or the country) will pay for the many attractive giveaways he promises. How this will play out I certainly don't know.

On the other side, I believe the emergence of Biden as a serious candidate reflects the anxiety of some Democrats that their left wing, powerful as it may be among Democrat contenders now, may not enable them to win a national election. Biden has the reputation as being more centrist, and that a viable Democrat candidate. As hightor has emphasized, Biden was on the stage as an alternative candidate even during the late stages of the last campaign, however it cannot be denied that he has recently reemerged as a serious candidate, probably based on the point above. That appears ( to me at least) to be the chief reason for his recent reemergence as

The DNC, based on its charter is focused on a Democrat win, no matter who may be the candidate. The norm is for them to work to create a Democrat platform that all the candidates can support, and give their backing to the winning candidate. Interestingly the head of the DNC (Perez) appears to be visibly aligned with the more left wing elements of the party, and it remains to be seen how he may shape the emerging platform on which all will rum.

I don't think that Biden will wear well as his time in the spotlight passes. He has long been a gaffe-prone blowhard, who says what is needed but too often comes across more often as one who doesn't understand his own words. ( his recent comments about white & male privilege in which he spoke about an incorrect (indeed somewhat absurd) version of the origin of the term "rule of thumb" comes to mind. ) That, along with his (now forgotten, but likely soon to be recalled) plagiarism of a speech about his own youthful upbringing that turned out to be a near word for word plagiarism of a speech previously given by a then prominent British Labor party politician, Neil Kinnock, undid him before and is likely to do so again.

There are many contenders in the Democrat field and none, in my opinion, has as yet emerged as a leader with the potential to win and election. In many ways their situation today mirrors that of the Republicans in 2016 - many candidates along with the upsurge of a rather strident extreme wing of the party.

Nancy Pelosi is a seasoned and canny politician, and it appears clear that she will work hard to create a winning platform for Democrats for the next election. Whether she is able so succeed is, as yet, an unanswered question.

farmerman

Thu 28 Mar, 2019 08:41 pm
@georgeob1,
once again we Democrats show our love of the comedic and the chaotic.
georgeob1

Thu 28 Mar, 2019 08:51 pm
@farmerman,
They aren't alone. I believe this occurs whenever there are real (or merely perceived) shifts in the views and alignment of the voters of the respective parties. I think that situation also existed in 2016 within the Republican party, and it evidently does now among Democrats.
0 Replies

revelette1

Fri 29 Mar, 2019 08:52 am
I think Biden will come across as the normal one of the bunch and one who knows what he is doing with pragmatic reality. He may be prone to gaffes, but I think that has been way overstated, he was trusted on both sides, republican and democrats in the senate. I think one of his main drawbacks is his age.
maporsche

Fri 29 Mar, 2019 08:54 am
@revelette1,
I can't imagine his gaffes will come close to 'grab 'em by the pussy' which is apparently nothing to get upset over anymore.

I don't like his gaffes, but compared to Trump (who'd be the opposition in 2020 obviously) it's not even comparable.
snood

Fri 29 Mar, 2019 10:35 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

I can't imagine his gaffes will come close to 'grab 'em by the pussy' which is apparently nothing to get upset over anymore.

I don't like his gaffes, but compared to Trump (who'd be the opposition in 2020 obviously) it's not even comparable.

Of course it’s not. But you know what happens when our “both sides “ MSM starts magnifying dems gaffes and minimizing 45’s. Witness how the nothing burger of Hillary’s emails served to counterbalance 45’s endless repertoire of fraud, corruption and general sliminess.
maporsche

Fri 29 Mar, 2019 10:45 am
@snood,
You're right.

Kinda goes against the myth of the "liberal media".
0 Replies

Lash

Fri 29 Mar, 2019 02:33 pm
Trump’s ‘pussygate’ was on the MSM constantly. The number of voters in the electoral college that mattered didn’t care. It wasn’t the coverage; it was the voters.
0 Replies

Lash

Fri 29 Mar, 2019 02:37 pm
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:

I think Biden will come across as the normal one of the bunch and one who knows what he is doing with pragmatic reality. He may be prone to gaffes, but I think that has been way overstated, he was trusted on both sides, republican and democrats in the senate. I think one of his main drawbacks is his age.

Marking this for future reference...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Fri 29 Mar, 2019 06:10 pm
Biden will be revealed for the train wreck he is in the days to come. Just today he was once again put on the spot for putting his hands all over people and kissing a woman against her will. He was instrumental killing Glass-Steagal, in setting up prisons for profit -
maporsche

Fri 29 Mar, 2019 06:13 pm
@edgarblythe,
You may be right.

If he's the guy in November 2020 though I hope you'll do the right thing and vote for him.
edgarblythe

Fri 29 Mar, 2019 06:53 pm
@maporsche,
Vote for a guy that was instrumental getting Clarence Thomas confirmed?
maporsche

Fri 29 Mar, 2019 06:55 pm
@edgarblythe,
Versus Donald Trump???

Ab. So. *******. Lutely.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Sat 30 Mar, 2019 08:14 pm
There are worse Democrat Candidates out there, but I don't think Biden will wear well, or for long, in the campaign. Two reasons: (1) he is a gaffe-prone blowhard and it won't likely be wrong before he says something either outrageous or stupid; (2) He's been in the political spotlight for many years and the opportunity for his opponents, particularly his far left opponents, to dig up some adverse stuff is fairly high.

Indeed I'm a bit surprised that, after all the hype early last week, he hasn't yet declared his candidacy: he may already have decided it isn't worth the candle.
Lash

Sat 30 Mar, 2019 08:30 pm
@georgeob1,
Some chick has written an expose about some neck snuffling Uncle Joe did to her, and other women are adding in. Looks like Joe’s #metoo moment has finally arrived.
georgeob1

Sat 30 Mar, 2019 08:40 pm
@Lash,
Sorry to hear it but not unexpected. I also feel sorry for the situation of most men in this crazy era.

This doesn't add to the Democrat's prospects for the next election.
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Sat 30 Mar, 2019 08:47 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
Some chick..

WTF?
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Sat 30 Mar, 2019 09:14 pm
@Lash,
This ISN'T just "some chick." Lucy Flores was running for Lieutenant Governor of Nevada.

Your off the cuff remark shows exactly how backwards this country has become. I am deeply ashamed on how you can dismiss this allegation and the one about dear ole Bernie and STILL think this is ok.

It's NOT.

If this is how you treat your Title I students, they're getting a really horrible education from you.

0 Replies