The Case For Biden

bobsal u1553115

Mon 26 Oct, 2015 04:15 pm
@hawkeye10,
Isn't 3:36PM a little early to be swilling cheap liquor?

Just saying.
hawkeye10

Mon 26 Oct, 2015 05:56 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

Isn't 3:36PM a little early to be swilling cheap liquor?

Just saying.

You can attempt to make a better argument any time you want.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Mon 26 Oct, 2015 06:01 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

farmerman wrote:

someone needs a nap.

Lol

This Jr High stuff from the A2K little boys has always been annoying.
snood

Mon 26 Oct, 2015 06:21 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

snood wrote:

farmerman wrote:

someone needs a nap.

Lol

This Jr High stuff from the A2K little boys has always been annoying.

But haven't you noticed that juvenile humor is the exclusive domain of your hero the Trump.
hawkeye10

Mon 26 Oct, 2015 06:32 pm
@snood,
Quote:
But haven't you noticed that juvenile humor is the exclusive domain of your hero the Trump.

Less talking and more listening would be a good thing for you to work on. I said that Trump is the best of the lot if he really wants te job which he has not convinced me of, but that they all kinda suck in no small part because washington is broken so why would anyone of quality want to waste their time there and we dont treat our public servants very well.

That you can spin that into "Trump is a hero" will reguire you walking through the steps of logic and language.

Start when you are ready.
0 Replies

Lash

Wed 26 Dec, 2018 07:07 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

My feelings about Biden are evolving. Here's an article detailing several reasons why progressive (or liberal if you prefer) voters should run the other way from Biden. It details, among other things:
- how his voting record in congress has drifted steadily to the right since he first came in (in the 70's?)
- his contribution to the creation of the disastrous 'war on drugs' and the explosion of the prison population of non-violent offenders
-his ill treatment of women during the Anita Hill and Lani Guinier hearings

-and other things that give me serious pause. His popularity in the polls just now may be because like Clinton during her Secretary of State Years, he hasn't been bombarded by the scrutiny of the sharpshooting press.

Enough with the Joe Biden nonsense: The real reasons why the D.C. media loves him, but progressives should run away screaming

http://www.salon.com/2015/09/10/enough_with_the_joe_biden_nonsense_the_real_reasons_why_the_d_c_media_loves_him_but_progressives_should_run_away_screaming/
0 Replies

Lash

Wed 26 Dec, 2018 07:10 am
I’ve been reading some stuff about Biden on Twitter, the general web as the D field makes 2020 decisions. I was trying to find a place to deposit an article and found this pretty fair hearing of Biden.

Thought I’d revive it for future reference.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DvTMxrYWwAAo5fT?format=jpg&name=900x900

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DvTMxrYWwAAo5fT?format=jpg&name=900x900
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Wed 26 Dec, 2018 07:36 am
Case for Biden: I got nothing.
Lash

Wed 26 Dec, 2018 08:20 am
@edgarblythe,
I think he’d foul out quite early if he gets in.
0 Replies

Lash

Sat 16 Mar, 2019 03:55 am
@revelette2,
Biden is no progressive. Not by any stretch.
revelette1

Sat 16 Mar, 2019 09:50 am
@Lash,
I agree, now that I have read some history in his past.
0 Replies

hightor

Sun 17 Mar, 2019 06:04 am
Too old.
Lash

Sun 17 Mar, 2019 06:07 am
@hightor,
Nah. Too pedophile-y...
Too gaffe-y?
Too Republican-y. This one!
0 Replies

maporsche

Mon 18 Mar, 2019 09:25 am
I wouldn't vote for Biden in the primaries.
maporsche

Mon 18 Mar, 2019 09:49 am
@maporsche,
Unless it came down to Biden and Bernie when my state has their primaries, then I'd vote for Biden. But that seems rather unlikely, so my general statement still applies.
revelette1

Mon 18 Mar, 2019 10:27 am
@maporsche,
I felt the same way until I read an article about Biden in the seventies being against desegregation. The following is from fairly (maybe more so, I wouldn't know, I forgot where I originally learned of Biden's past.) conservative newspaper.

Quote:
Ronnie Dunn, an urban studies professor at Cleveland State University and author of the book on northern segregation Boycotts, Busing, & Beyond, said Biden was making a case in favor of maintaining segregation. “That’s how I interpret that argument,” Dunn told the Washington Examiner. "That was an argument against desegregation.”

Dunn said opposition to busing was largely motivated by racism and that without the court-ordered policy “we likely would not have had a black president.” Had Biden's arguments prevailed, he might well not have become vice president in 2009. “What I find ironic is that [Biden] was the vice president under a president who, if it hadn’t been for the social interaction that occurred during the era of busing, I argue we likely would not have seen the election of Barack Obama," said Dunn.

He said Biden must address the issue if he runs for president. “People have to be held accountable," said Dunn. "We all evolve in our thinking and grow, but that doesn’t mean we aren’t going to have to answer for our positions we held.”

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/politics/joe-biden-embraced-segregation-in-1975-claiming-it-was-a-matter-of-black-pride

This theme may be a product of either conservatives or activist leftist, but the issue is real and needs to addressed now that it is out there and he sort of announced his run for Presidency. I think.
maporsche

Mon 18 Mar, 2019 10:58 am
@revelette1,
I imagine that he's since come out in favor of desegregation?

Unless Joe Biden in 2019 has stances that turn into deal breakers for me, I'm not going to be too beholden to a position taken 40+ years ago.

People's beliefs can change and often do from one's youth. For example, when I was in high school (20 years ago) I was against gay marriage, and really, thought gay's were disgusting. Then I met some gay people and learned that they're not all that different than any of us and my views changed.
snood

Mon 18 Mar, 2019 11:11 am
@maporsche,
I shudder to think that I would be judged today on how I thought and acted 30-40 years ago.
McGentrix

Mon 18 Mar, 2019 11:14 am
@snood,
Yet, both of you believe that not only should Trump be judged so, so should his father and grand father...
revelette1

Mon 18 Mar, 2019 11:18 am
@snood,
So now we are not going to hold those running for high office accountable for their actions and words in their lives if they are in our party? I assume he was against desegregation for pragmatic reasons considering where he lives. I also assume he is not racist considering he was Vice President to Obama, I doubt Obama would want a racist around him so much. Or perhaps he was racist at that time and has evolved despite his words to the contrary. However, segregation was a big deal when it was going on. People died and sacrificed a lot for desegregation. He needs to own up to his record and address the issue head on.

Just as one example from WikiPedia

Quote:
The Ole Miss riot of 1962, or Battle of Oxford, was fought between Southern segregationists and federal and state forces beginning the night of September 30, 1962. Segregationists were protesting the enrollment of James Meredith, a black US military veteran, at the University of Mississippi (known affectionately as Ole Miss) at Oxford, Mississippi. Two civilians, one a French journalist, were killed during the night, and over 300 people were injured,[1] including one third of the US Marshals deployed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ole_Miss_riot_of_1962