The Case For Biden

roger

Tue 8 Sep, 2015 10:20 pm
@RABEL222,
If they all are, let's just point it out on an individual basis. Kind of level the playing field
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Wed 9 Sep, 2015 03:14 am
Biden certainly has his share of faults and negatives...

...but I would prefer him over any Republican.

The one thing this country does not need right now is for a Republican to be nominating the next several Supreme Court justices.
hawkeye10

Wed 9 Sep, 2015 03:18 am
@Frank Apisa,
Super.

But why are you not willing to admit how pathetic your team is?

Note to Frank:if you you want to be taken seriously at A2K by us serious people you need to act as if you comprehend reality.

You are failing.
Frank Apisa

Wed 9 Sep, 2015 03:54 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Super.

I think so also.

Quote:
But why are you not willing to admit how pathetic your team is?

My team???

I am a registered Independent.

I am going to vote for a Democrat mostly because the Republicans field disgusting candidates...and pose a threat to the kind of world in which I want to live.

Quote:
Note to Frank:if you you want to be taken seriously at A2K by us serious people you need to act as if you comprehend reality.

Having you lecture me on something like that is like having Chris Christie lecture me on weight control!

Quote:
You are failing.

What I said above.
hawkeye10

Wed 9 Sep, 2015 04:02 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I am going to vote for a Democrat mostly because

Hmmm, seems that we have been though this before but here we go: Who was the last R you voted for for Washington? I think you are an independent in name only. And yes I trust that you will not lie to me,
Frank Apisa

Wed 9 Sep, 2015 04:04 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
I am going to vote for a Democrat mostly because

Hmmm, seems that we have been though this before but here we go: Who was the last R you voted for for Washington? I think you are an independent in name only. And yes I trust that you will not lie to me,

The last Republican I voted for in a national election was Ronald Reagan...his first run.

I've mentioned this before.

It is the vote I regret the most...lifetime.
hawkeye10

Wed 9 Sep, 2015 04:05 am
@Frank Apisa,
You prove my point.
revelette2

Wed 9 Sep, 2015 07:49 am
The plagiarism is troublesome, but when you think about the rest of his career, he would be a good president.

Political positions of Joe Biden
0 Replies

glitterbag

Wed 9 Sep, 2015 08:15 am
My concerns about our political climate it that we no longer have discussion on the issues. The game now is to completely destroy political rivals. Not just defeat, but total annihilation, destroy their reputations, repeat gossip about 'crimes' until it becomes fact in the minds of people who are to lazy to check things out.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Wed 9 Sep, 2015 08:42 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

You prove my point.

Well then you "point" must have been that I am a registered Independent.
0 Replies

snood

Thu 10 Sep, 2015 10:41 am
My feelings about Biden are evolving. Here's an article detailing several reasons why progressive (or liberal if you prefer) voters should run the other way from Biden. It details, among other things:
- how his voting record in congress has drifted steadily to the right since he first came in (in the 70's?)
- his contribution to the creation of the disastrous 'war on drugs' and the explosion of the prison population of non-violent offenders
-his ill treatment of women during the Anita Hill and Lani Guinier hearings

-and other things that give me serious pause. His popularity in the polls just now may be because like Clinton during her Secretary of State Years, he hasn't been bombarded by the scrutiny of the sharpshooting press.

Enough with the Joe Biden nonsense: The real reasons why the D.C. media loves him, but progressives should run away screaming

http://www.salon.com/2015/09/10/enough_with_the_joe_biden_nonsense_the_real_reasons_why_the_d_c_media_loves_him_but_progressives_should_run_away_screaming/
RABEL222

Thu 10 Sep, 2015 09:45 pm
@snood,
He isent going to run. He stated today that he dosent think he can handle the job with all his mental problems. I still like the guy. Who in the U S can stand the so called veting process in this era of lying politicians and billionares who support the lies. Too bad the government dosent spend a few billion dollars investigating the Koch brothers.
hawkeye10

Thu 10 Sep, 2015 10:03 pm
@RABEL222,
Does sound that way, but with as emotionally unhinged as this guy is one days emoting does not a decision make.

I am thinking Gore is the guy.
0 Replies

revelette2

Fri 11 Sep, 2015 07:20 am
@snood,
Bobsal wrote about the prison some time back, however, this is the first I heard about any ill treatment of women. Most democrats were supportive of Anita Hill weren't they? I hardly remember the Clarence Thomas hearing but I remember believing Anita Hill, she was credible. But if it is true he prevented evidence and witnesses who could have helped her accusations, then you are right, that is troublesome. If true, he is in large part responsible for Clarence Thomas being on the bench.

Also back then when crime was so bad, everybody was looking for answers and being tougher on crime and most people were for the war on drugs as well. I believe some of his positions have changed as regarding drug offenders and prison terms. Both of those seem to be a case of reacting rather than logically looking for real answers. Kind of like the war on terror now.

But now are you for Sanders or Hillary?
snood

Fri 11 Sep, 2015 07:29 am
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:

Bobsal wrote about the prison some time back, however, this is the first I heard about any ill treatment of women. Most democrats were supportive of Anita Hill weren't they? I hardly remember the Clarence Thomas hearing but I remember believing Anita Hill, she was credible. But if it is true he prevented evidence and witnesses who could have helped her accusations, then you are right, that is troublesome. If true, he is in large part responsible for Clarence Thomas being on the bench.

Also back then when crime was so bad, everybody was looking for answers and being tougher on crime and most people were for the war on drugs as well. I believe some of his positions have changed as regarding drug offenders and prison terms. Both of those seem to be a case of reacting rather than logically looking for real answers. Kind of like the war on terror now.

But now are you for Sanders or Hillary?

I'm being very honest when I said my views are evolving. Last night I saw Biden on Colbert's show, and I remembered what it was that draws me to the man; why Obama trusts him; why I believe that at his core he is a decent man who has good motives. I want someone who represents a majority of my positions on issues, but who can be an effective, forceful leader and coalition builder. I see some aspects of those things in all three candidates in question - Clinton, Sanders and Biden (not a candidate yet). I'll probably be weighing things out for a awhile yet. Why is it so important to be "for" someone until at least after the debates?
snood

Fri 11 Sep, 2015 07:30 am
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

He isent going to run. He stated today that he dosent think he can handle the job with all his mental problems. I still like the guy. Who in the U S can stand the so called veting process in this era of lying politicians and billionares who support the lies. Too bad the government dosent spend a few billion dollars investigating the Koch brothers.

I saw him on Colbert last night, and he said he wasn't sure. Do you have a more recent statement?
ehBeth

Fri 11 Sep, 2015 08:27 am
@snood,
http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/biden-colbert-not-yet-ready-commit-2016-n425396
georgeob1

Fri 11 Sep, 2015 08:46 am
I expect there's likely more to the Biden story than we have heard reported. BIden has been a candidate for president, or at least a hopeful contender, several times in the past. That, of course, might have changed over time. However it is also likely that there is a real struggle going oin in the Democrat party over the matter.

A Biden announcement now would quickly sink Hillary's chances, and it is very likely the well-organized and financed Clinton campaign is doing everything it can to prevent that possibility; including coercing potential sources of funding, threats and calling on old political debts. The Democrat primaries were organized as a coronation of Hillary Clinton, with an assumed faux opponent, Bernie Sanders as a mere warmup exercise. Nne of that has worked out as planned, but as long as there is perceived hope for Hillary's candidacy, we can safely assume that those who orchestrated this charade will do all they can to keep it alive.
0 Replies

revelette2

Fri 11 Sep, 2015 09:17 am
@snood,
Quote:
Why is it so important to be "for" someone until at least after the debates?

I suppose it is not important, after all it is still a long way to go until election night. I'll be reading to see how you think along the way. As far as I know you are the only who hasn't really staked out a candidate. Me, I have been all over the place.
0 Replies

snood

Fri 11 Sep, 2015 10:10 am
@ehBeth,

These are the telling two paragraphs from your link:

In a moving interview with comedian Stephen Colbert on Thursday night, Vice President Joe Biden suggested he is not yet emotionally prepared to run for president in 2016, as he is still reeling from the death of his son earlier this summer.

"I don't think any man or woman should run for president unless, number one, they know exactly why they would want to be president and, number two, they can look at folks out there and say, 'I promise you, you have my whole heart, my whole soul, my energy, and my passion to do this. And I'd be lying if I said that I knew I was there," Biden told Colbert, who recently took the helm of on CBS' "The Late Show" from longtime host David Letterman.

Still doesn't sound like a definitive NO to me.