The Case For Biden

Frank Apisa

Tue 8 Sep, 2015 03:14 am
http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/laughing/crying-with-laughter.gif
0 Replies

McGentrix

Tue 8 Sep, 2015 11:45 am
Biden is a plagiarist and a liar. He is the worse sort of politician and really in the same class as Hillary. He is slick and smarmy and completely disingenuous. It would be a shame if he gets the nod over Sanders.
RABEL222

Tue 8 Sep, 2015 05:09 pm
@McGentrix,
Gee, another ultra conservative heard from. And no, Im not saying you dont have the right. Its an open forum.
0 Replies

Lash

Tue 8 Sep, 2015 05:18 pm
@McGentrix,
I haven't heard this. Can you give specifics?
snood

Tue 8 Sep, 2015 05:21 pm
@Lash,
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/history_lesson/2008/08/the_write_stuff.html

Biden's downfall began when his aides alerted him to a videotape of the British Labor Party leader Neil Kinnock, who had run unsuccessfully against Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher. The tape showed Kinnock delivering a powerful speech about his rise from humble roots. Taken by the performance, Biden adapted it for his own stump speech. Biden, after all, was the son of a car salesman, a working-class kid made good. Kinnock's material fit with the story he was trying to sell.

At first Biden would credit Kinnock when he quoted him. But at some point he failed to offer the attribution. Biden maintained that he lapsed only once—at a debate at the Iowa State Fair, on Aug. 23, when cameras recorded it—but Maureen Dowd of the New York Times reported two incidents of nonattribution, and no one kept track exactly of every time Biden used the Kinnock bit. (Click here for examples of Biden's lifting.) What is certain is that Biden didn't simply borrow the sort of boilerplate that counts as common currency in political discourse—phrases like "fighting for working families." What he borrowed was Kinnock's life.

Biden lifted Kinnock's precise turns of phrase and his sequences of ideas—a degree of plagiarism that would qualify any student for failure, if not expulsion from school. But the even greater sin was to borrow biographical facts from Kinnock that, although true about Kinnock, didn't apply to Biden. Unlike Kinnock, Biden wasn't the first person in his family history to attend college, as he asserted; nor were his ancestors coal miners, as he claimed when he used Kinnock's words. Once exposed, Biden's campaign team managed to come up with a great-grandfather who had been a mining engineer, but he hardly fit the candidate's description of one who "would come up [from the mines] after 12 hours and play football." At any rate, Biden had delivered his offending remarks with an introduction that clearly implied he had come up with them himself and that they pertained to his own life.
Lash

Tue 8 Sep, 2015 05:29 pm
@snood,
Oh dang. That smarts. Nobody's perfect - and he did attribute in the beginning,... damn. Like they say: stealing that deep into another man's life shows some defect.

Maybe it was a moment in time thing. What do you think?
roger

Tue 8 Sep, 2015 06:11 pm
@snood,
You mean, there weren't no 'lunch bucket'?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Tue 8 Sep, 2015 06:12 pm
The fact that Biden is seriously considering that he could save the parties chances of getting the chair is proof positive that the D's are thoroughly fucked. This is on par with going to get Lindsey Lohan to represent Hollywood at a Senate hearing ("what, you could not get ANY of the 9840 people who would be better??").

Apparently this is where we are at.

EDIT The similarity is that Lilo cant keep her pussy covered anymore than Biden can keep from wearing his clown suit and emoting.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Tue 8 Sep, 2015 06:28 pm
@snood,
I recall that story. It is interesting to speculate and likely that Biden (or many others in such situations) started out with barely sufficient qualifiers and attributions, but as the story was retold it became more and more familiar and "his own", at least in his rationalizations. Lies are often like that: they start small and grow with time and self-delusion.

Even if Hillary continues to fall and Biden does run, I think the coming election offers ample opportunities for surprises all around. Very hard for me to see Biden as a winner, but I don't yet see any obvious winners on the other side of the fence either.

Offhand I agree with Frank that Hillary should be, by far, the Democrat's best bet. However that is looking less and less assured, both because of the legacy of self-serving Clinton sleaze and lies, and because she is proving to be at best a mediocre campaigner. Interestingly observers are lately starting to recall that fact from her 2008 campingn.

hawkeye10

Tue 8 Sep, 2015 06:34 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
very hard for me to see Biden as a winner,

With all of the elites people zeroing out but for Hillary, and her sinking fast, UM YA!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Tue 8 Sep, 2015 06:43 pm
I assume Biden grew up.

In the meantime we have a falling apart country, not just by language, but culture.

hawkeye10

Tue 8 Sep, 2015 06:48 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
In the meantime we have a falling apart country, not just by language, but culture.

there pretty much is no common culture now, which is a huge ******* problem.
0 Replies

snood

Tue 8 Sep, 2015 06:59 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Oh dang. That smarts. Nobody's perfect - and he did attribute in the beginning,... damn. Like they say: stealing that deep into another man's life shows some defect.

I first heard about this back during Obama's first presidential campaign. It bothered me a lot then. It bothers me now that its being brought up again. I had to weigh it against the good I saw in him then, and if he runs, I'll have to go through that thought process again. I happen to believe that no one - no one - is completely pure, but these items from Biden's past are pretty vexing. His tendency to sputter nonsense without thinking is one thing - 'crazy uncle Joe' - more a mild embarrassment than mortifying. But if he appears to have a shaky relationship with truth and that shakiness looks like it might still be a part of who he is, it may well affect the chances of my supporting any campaign effort.
ossobuco

Tue 8 Sep, 2015 07:19 pm
@snood,
I sort of remember all that, and don't remember my take at the time. Maybe against, but I'm blanking.

I also don't think Biden has a clue who I am, and I'm white with early freckles.

So I would worry, but, he might be the closest to my takes.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Tue 8 Sep, 2015 08:19 pm
I am in despair over our elections. Campaigns are covered like an approaching tornado, and we suck up every single bit of gossip we can. We don't really care if it's true, just keep dishing the dirt and we will be happy. We approach our elections like a lynch mob. I hope everyone here s going to actually vote, because if you don't vote, I don't want to listen to your bellyaching.

We have been at war almost 15 years, but no one talks about it. I suppose we don't have to if we are watching 'The Real House Wives' and futzing about how immoral the other political party is. Those people don't love love this country, our party has the moral upper hand and we really love our flag. Apparently Americans can no longer tolerate opposing views, because if you have a different view than I do, you must be a liar, corrupt, communist, anti-american, atheist, immigrant loving scum. I'm so ashamed of my countrymen and their fickle ideas.
hawkeye10

Tue 8 Sep, 2015 08:22 pm
@glitterbag,
Take a look at last weekends "bright shiny objects" piece. very lose to the truth. The elite get every bit of humiliation and failure that they get.

EDIT: You misjudged me. I am at least as much as traveled and wise as you are. I am waiting for the mea culpa, you owe me.
glitterbag

Tue 8 Sep, 2015 08:30 pm
@hawkeye10,
You are the biggest crybaby I have ever encountered. Do you really want me to apologize because you're a limited tool? Ask your mother for an apology and stuff your elite crap up where the sun don't shine. Oh, I forgot, you actually like that sort of thing. I owe you Jack, ass.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Tue 8 Sep, 2015 09:23 pm
@glitterbag,
Despair or not, the story about Biden's shameless plagarism of Neal Kinnock's speech is true and well documented. He is an amiable person, but his legacy after more than two decades in the Senate is that of a lightweight blowhard. Only a slavishly supportive media could alow him to last more than a few weeks in the spotlight.

Today the country is sufficiently polarized and immune to honest reportage that he could conceivably survive the scrutiny. If Hillary can make it this far, Perhaps ole Joe can make it all the way.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Tue 8 Sep, 2015 09:44 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Maybe, if was just that single incident... Biden Admits Plagiarism in School But Says It Was Not 'Malevolent'

Quote:
The file distributed by the Senator included a law school faculty report, dated Dec. 1, 1965, that concluded that Mr. Biden had ''used five pages from a published law review article without quotation or attribution'' and that he ought to be failed in the legal methods course for which he had submitted the 15-page paper.

The plagiarized article, ''Tortious Acts as a Basis for Jurisdiction in Products Liability Cases,'' was published in the Fordham Law Review of May 1965. Mr. Biden drew large chunks of heavy legal prose directly from it, including such sentences as: ''The trend of judicial opinion in various jurisdictions has been that the breach of an implied warranty of fitness is actionable without privity, because it is a tortious wrong upon which suit may be brought by a non-contracting party.'' Just One Footnote

So, not really an isolated incident.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Tue 8 Sep, 2015 10:16 pm
@McGentrix,
Excuse me sir but do you know of many politicians who arn't slick and smarmy and completely disingenuous? And if you say Ronny Raygun I am going to get sick all over my computer.