The Case For Biden

BillW

Tue 23 Feb, 2021 01:26 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:
I have argued for doing away with the up-vote/down-vote for years. Actually, I have no problem with voting up or down on comments...but there should not be up or down on the thread itself. And the notion of anonymous up or down votes is an abomination. Every vote up or down should be user identified.

Yup. What we are seeing here is someone successfully preventing certain posts being visible without members making the extra click to view them. Someone's obviously on a mission of some sort as it's only a few political threads where this effort is made. I don't know how difficult it would be to do away with the thumbs entirely but eliminating the threshold of visibility would make the reputation abuse moot. It's sort of funny — you just know the person doing this is a self-appointed defender of freedom and enemy of censorship!

From my understanding a few years back the original creator and primary programmer of A2K turned the site over to others and now there is very little if any "upgrades" performed. I believe this is correct, if so; I doubt there will be a change in "thumbing".
Builder

Tue 23 Feb, 2021 03:26 am
@BillW,
The dogpile crew here (you know who you are) gang up on anyone who doesn't agree with their stance on anything, and tries to vote them off the feed.

Not too funny when they're on the receiving end of the same treatment, though.
hightor

Tue 23 Feb, 2021 03:40 am
@Builder,
Quote:
The dogpile crew here gang up on anyone who doesn't agree with their stance on anything, and tries to vote them off the feed.

The difference is between the opinions expressed by individuals, one by one, as opposed to the manipulation of the feature to achieve multiple votes by a single operator. I doubt that people coordinate down-votes in order to achieve something which can be easily undone with a click.
Quote:

Not too funny when they're on the receiving end of the same treatment, though.

No, it's not "too funny" — can such a thing exist? — but neither is it the sort of thing that would move anyone to rethink his political philosophy. People notice that the activity is going on and comment on it but I don't see anyone tearing their hair out in frustration. As someone pointed out on another thread, if it were done slowly over the course of a few hours, instead of all at once in an obvious fashion, it wouldn't even get noticed. The question is still raised as to what the activity really accomplishes.
0 Replies

revelette3

Tue 23 Feb, 2021 08:51 am
Did Washington Just Have an Actual Weekend?

Quote:
Mr. Trump has, of course, predicted that the political news complex will crumble without him. Members of that complex say they have some room to breathe and, crucially, to plan.

“As the host of a weekly show, the glaring absence of presidential Twitter scandals means I can plan ahead with the expectation that our plan will actually be implemented,” said Brian Stelter, a former New York Times reporter who hosts “Reliable Sources” on CNN. “Informally, we used to leave a five-minute-size hole in my Sunday show, expecting some sort of big news to break on Saturday night. Now we don’t assume that’s going to happen anymore.”

Other journalists say they welcome the renewed attention on policy.
0 Replies

engineer

Tue 23 Feb, 2021 08:57 am
@Builder,
Builder wrote:

... and tries to vote them off the feed.

This isn't a thing for me. I long ago changed that setting so I see all posts so if this is an attempted form of censorship, it's not working, at least for me. The only reason I choose to use the thumb is if there is a post that I think really makes a good point or if there is one that I think is fundamentally flawed. Occasionally I will do it for crass personal attacks, but honestly those have been on the decline (apparently due to the recent absence of a couple of agitators.)
revelette3

Tue 23 Feb, 2021 01:51 pm
With New Grand Jury, Justice Department Revives Investigation Into Death of George Floyd

I hope he goes to prison a long time.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
MontereyJack

Tue 23 Feb, 2021 09:24 pm
@oralloy,
You mean bullying like the insurrectionists who tried to bully the 80 million voters for biden into accepting their attempt to steal the election and keep the bullying crimnal ex-prez, who tolerated no speech in dissent from hisig wishes ,in poswer? That extreme right-wing bullying of an entire country?
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Tue 23 Feb, 2021 09:29 pm
@oralloy,
love the way you advocate violent denial of free speech at the same time youclaim falsely that that's what progressives do.
oralloy

Tue 23 Feb, 2021 09:47 pm
@MontereyJack,
Most of the protesters were NOT violent.
MontereyJack

Tue 23 Feb, 2021 09:49 pm
@oralloy,
and a th0usand or so were. Over 200 indictments now and counting. So it was in fact a vioilent insurrection.
oralloy

Tue 23 Feb, 2021 10:33 pm
@MontereyJack,
I doubt that you can establish that a thousand people attacked police officers.
MontereyJack

Tue 23 Feb, 2021 11:21 pm
@oralloy,
they attacked the U.S. and the U.S. government going about its constitutionally mandated business, in an attempt trump-incited to stage a coup d'etat.
oralloy

Wed 24 Feb, 2021 04:06 am
@MontereyJack,
That's silly. They were peacefully protesting against progressive bullying.

Let's hope they overrun the capitol again and chase Mr. Biden off the stage live on TV when he tries to give a State of the Union speech.
izzythepush

Wed 24 Feb, 2021 04:24 am
@engineer,
It’s not a thing for you because you have registered and made the necessary adjustments. Casual users who have not registered will find that such posts have been hidden.
hightor

Wed 24 Feb, 2021 04:52 am
@izzythepush,
Welcome back, izzy...good to see you.
izzythepush

Wed 24 Feb, 2021 05:30 am
@hightor,
Thanks, I’ve managed to get a lemon meringue pie just right. Now it all stays on top of the pie instead of half slipping on to the baking tray.

Actually it was lemon and lime meringue pie as I had some limes to use up.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Wed 24 Feb, 2021 05:43 am
@oralloy,
Pretty hard to deny hours of live tv and video tape, but oralloy is still trying to do it. How is living in fantasy land going for you, o? And I see you hate free speech too. but of course disrespect for the constitution is what conservatives are all about.