The Case For Biden

oralloy

Thu 4 Feb, 2021 08:39 am
@MontereyJack,
It never fails that people who hate civil liberties invoke some variant of "common sense".
Builder

Sun 7 Feb, 2021 02:07 am
All quiet on the "home front".

Joe "sign me up" doing a bang-up job for boss man Barry/
hightor

Sun 7 Feb, 2021 03:05 am
@Builder,
What exactly is the "home front" — in quotation marks, no less?

Quote:
boss man Barry/

Give us the details. Show us examples which you think demonstrate Obama's direct influence on the policies of the Biden administration. Explain why the new administration hasn't developed its own response to the problems facing the country in 2021, the primary one being the damage done by four years of Trumpian misrule. Where's the hand of Obama here? Give us the details. How is he pulling the strings?

As usual, you're simply spouting nonsense. Finish your can of Fosters and go to bed.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Sun 7 Feb, 2021 08:19 am
@oralloy,
conservative gun zealots hate common sense.
oralloy

Sun 7 Feb, 2021 08:45 am
@MontereyJack,
Every time I hear the term "common sense" invoked, I know that what will follow will be an argument against freedom and civil liberties.

Yes. I could do without such nonsense. I reject "common sense" with every fiber of my being.
hightor

Sun 7 Feb, 2021 09:09 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
I reject "common sense" with every fiber of my being.

That's obvious.
oralloy

Sun 7 Feb, 2021 09:19 am
@hightor,
Facts and logic are so much better than common sense.
MontereyJack

Sun 7 Feb, 2021 09:39 am
@oralloy,
In other words, you support gun violence and murder. Noted.
MontereyJack

Sun 7 Feb, 2021 09:40 am
@oralloy,
Facts and logic ARE common sense. That's why it's common sense.
Frank Apisa

Sun 7 Feb, 2021 09:59 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:
I reject "common sense" with every fiber of my being.

That's obvious.

**** man...not when I am drinking orange juice.

I just had to clean the keyboard to respond. Wink
0 Replies

oralloy

Sun 7 Feb, 2021 10:14 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
In other words, you support gun violence and murder. Noted.

That is incorrect. I oppose murder.

I do however support self defense.
0 Replies

oralloy

Sun 7 Feb, 2021 10:15 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
Facts and logic ARE common sense. That's why it's common sense.

That is incorrect. Facts and logic are the direct opposite of common sense.
0 Replies

hightor

Sun 7 Feb, 2021 10:30 am
@oralloy,
someone wrote:
It never fails that people who hate civil liberties invoke some variant of "common sense".

This sounds rather specious; let's look at the claim:

1) Authoritarians hate the universal recognition of civil liberties.

2) Authoritarianism is often grounded in religious dogma or a systematic political ideology.

3) Authoritarians — the Spanish Inquisitors, Leninists, contemporary dictators — have been known to invoke racism, nationalism, conformity, and obedience to doctrinal rigidity as justification for repressive actions with no appeal to "common sense".

4) The claim that people who hate civil liberties invariably invoke some variant of common sense in every case — i.e. "without fail — is demonstrably incorrect.

someone wrote:
Facts and logic are so much better than common sense.

They're not mutually exclusive. Nor is one a substitute for the other.

Quote:
Since the Age of Enlightenment the term "common sense" has frequently been used for rhetorical effect, sometimes pejorative, and sometimes appealed to positively, as an authority. It can be negatively equated to vulgar prejudice and superstition, it is often positively contrasted to them as a standard for good taste and as the source of the most basic axioms needed for science and logic. It was at the beginning of the 18th century that this old philosophical term first acquired its modern English meaning: "Those plain, self-evident truths or conventional wisdom that one needed no sophistication to grasp and no proof to accept precisely because they accorded so well with the basic (common sense) intellectual capacities and experiences of the whole social body." (Sofia Rosenfeld)

Wikipedia
Walter Hinteler

Sun 7 Feb, 2021 11:26 am
@hightor,
Common sense is nothing else than the average mind of a sane person.
revelette3

Sun 7 Feb, 2021 01:01 pm
Quote:
Senator Pat Toomey (R-PA) offered a frank assessment of how Donald Trump’s impeachment is likely to go when the Senate begins the trial on the former president’s incitement of insurrection.

In a broad-range interview with CNN’s Jake Tapper, Toomey was asked whether he intends to hold Trump accountable for egging on his supporters who violently stormed the U.S. Capitol in an unlawful attempt to overturn the 2020 election. Tapper also asked Toomey whether he sees any real possibility that the Senate will see enough votes to successfully impeach Trump.

Toomey answered by rejecting the argument many his GOP colleagues have put forward: that it is unconstitutional to impeach Trump now that he’s out of office (even though the proceedings against him began while he was still president). However, he prefaced this by saying conviction is “very unlikely,” judging by the layout of the Senate’s previous vote on whether to dismiss the trial on procedural grounds.

“You did have 45 Republican senators vote to suggest that they didn’t think it was appropriate to conduct a trial, so you can infer how likely it is that those folks will vote to convict. I disagreed with their assessment. I think it is Constitutional. I think it’s clearly Constitutional to conduct a Senate trial with respect to an impeachment. In this case the impeachment occurred prior to the president leaving office. My job will be to listen to both sides of this, evaluate the arguments and make a decision.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/gop-sen-toomey-pushes-back-on-colleagues-attempts-to-dismiss-trump-trial-out-of-hand-it-s-clearly-constitutional/ar-BB1dteOb?ocid=msedgdhp
0 Replies

oralloy

Sun 7 Feb, 2021 04:24 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
3) Authoritarians -- the Spanish Inquisitors, Leninists, contemporary dictators -- have been known to invoke racism, nationalism, conformity, and obedience to doctrinal rigidity as justification for repressive actions with no appeal to "common sense".
4) The claim that people who hate civil liberties invariably invoke some variant of common sense in every case -- i.e. "without fail -- is demonstrably incorrect.

I have seen lots of people oppose civil liberties over the years.

I've yet to see one of these enemies of human freedom fail to invoke some version of "reasonable" or "sensible".

hightor wrote:
They're not mutually exclusive. Nor is one a substitute for the other.

I disagree. "Common sense" is merely people's gut instincts.

When facts and logic are available to be relied upon, "common sense" should be disregarded completely.
oralloy

Sun 7 Feb, 2021 04:25 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Common sense is nothing else than the average mind of a sane person.

Perhaps. But people who have average minds should not be allowed to think for themselves.
neptuneblue

Sun 7 Feb, 2021 04:42 pm
@oralloy,
That's nice, dear.

Run along now.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sun 7 Feb, 2021 04:44 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Perhaps. But people who have average minds should not be allowed to think for themselves.
Who does your thinking?
oralloy

Sun 7 Feb, 2021 05:19 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
Who does your thinking?

I do.

That should be clear from the fact that people can almost never point out errors in my posts.

If I let other people think for me there would be far more errors in my posts.
0 Replies