The Case For Biden

oralloy

Fri 20 Nov, 2020 11:38 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:
they are denying him funds and information and office space that is rightfully his

Good. Welcome to the beginning of the next four years.

Hopefully the Republicans will boo and drown out Mr. Biden when he tries to give a State of the Union speech. Maybe they can sound off some air horns too.

When the Republicans retake the House in 2022 they'll be able to block Mr. Biden from even giving a State of the Union speech.
oralloy

Sat 21 Nov, 2020 12:09 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Neither the chancellor nor the president are elected by popular vote.

Does this mean that Germany is not a democracy??
MontereyJack

Sat 21 Nov, 2020 12:12 am
@oralloy,
since trump ruled by executive order, biden on his first day in office can and apparently will toss out all the tfrump e.o.s and reinstall the obama ones and the good ideas he has had and we can get back to some sanity in government and the repubs can bitch and whine all they want and it won't make any difference. And biden has shown himself adept at deal making with repubs, and he and Mad mitch mcconneell have had a deal-making relationship before, so chances are good the next four years under biden and harris will be very good for the country. Biden is a politician and knows how to make political deals, rather than the tin-pot would-be despot we've had the last four years.
oralloy

Sat 21 Nov, 2020 12:26 am
@MontereyJack,
Mr. Trump will make sure that the Republicans stay rallied to undermine and oppose the Biden Administration at every turn for the next four years.

There are only a few areas where Senate Republicans will be inclined to work with Mr. Biden, and that is only because both Senate Republicans and Mr. Biden want the same thing in those cases.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Sat 21 Nov, 2020 12:28 am
@oralloy,
No.
oralloy

Sat 21 Nov, 2020 12:28 am
@Walter Hinteler,
The same also applies to the US.

The Electoral College does not mean that the US is not a democracy.
Walter Hinteler

Sat 21 Nov, 2020 12:34 am
@oralloy,
I didn't doubt that, it was McG. (We have a representative democracy like nearly all modern Western-style democracies.)
0 Replies

oralloy

Sat 21 Nov, 2020 12:43 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
a century ago when they amended the constitution so the senate was directly elected by popular vote

I favor altering this. US senators should be appointed by governors and confirmed by state legislatures, and governors should have the ability to fire US senators that they are unhappy with. That will give state governments a voice in the federal government that they are currently lacking.

The people are given plenty of voice in the federal government when they elect their congressmen every two years.
Walter Hinteler

Sat 21 Nov, 2020 12:57 am
@oralloy,
I should mention that Germany uses degressive proportionality for the seats in the 'upper house' (Bundesrat, representation of the states). (This means the least populous state, Bremen [with 663,000 inhabitants], has three seats while the most populous one, North Rhine-Westphalia [with 18,058,000 inhabitants], has only six seats.)
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Sat 21 Nov, 2020 07:20 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

No cheating involved. Trump has disgusted the majority of americans for four years and we showed our displeasure with him massively the first chance we got. Biden's lead is now up to six million double the margin in 2016, because he is the most divisive hate-filled corrupt liar who ever sleazed his way into the presidency.

What?

I'm hoping you made a sentence structure mistake in this post...and that the "he" in the last sentence refers back to Trump rather than to Biden.
MontereyJack

Sat 21 Nov, 2020 07:48 am
@Frank Apisa,
of course.
Frank Apisa

Sat 21 Nov, 2020 09:04 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

of course.

Whew!

The way it was written, it looks as though you were saying that about Biden.
0 Replies

farmerman

Sat 21 Nov, 2020 09:14 am
@Frank Apisa,
yeh, I read it your way too. Substitute "PLUMP" where the last "he" appears
0 Replies

revelette3

Sat 21 Nov, 2020 09:39 am
@MontereyJack,
Don't mean to throw water on your optimism, but I would be very surprised if McConnell makes any deals with Biden unless Tea party/trump era takes a dive and republican voters are more interested in progress than in winning seats.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Mon 23 Nov, 2020 06:05 am

Biden poised to nominate Antony Blinken as secretary of state

Incoming White House chief of staff Ron Klain said earlier Sunday that Biden intended to begin revealing
members of his Cabinet Tuesday. Blinken is expected to be among the first nominations, people familiar
with the matter said, with Biden intent on sending a signal that rebuilding America's alliances is one of
his top priorities.

Blinken served in the Obama administration as deputy secretary of state and principal deputy national
security adviser. He also served as national security adviser to then-Vice President Biden...
0 Replies

snood

Mon 23 Nov, 2020 11:13 am
John Kerry to be appointed as Climate ‘Tzar’
MontereyJack

Mon 23 Nov, 2020 11:18 am
@snood,
All right. Good choice. Joe hits the ground running . No swamp in his cabinet. Thank the gods we voted the monster from the swamp out.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Mon 23 Nov, 2020 11:34 am

Biden Will Nominate First Woman to Lead Intelligence,
First Latino to Run Homeland Security

Biden will announce plans to nominate Alejandro Mayorkas to be his secretary of the
Department of Homeland Security, his transition office said, and Avril Haines to be his
director of national intelligence.

Biden will also nominate Linda Thomas-Greenfield to be ambassador to the United
Nations and restore the job to cabinet-level status, giving Ms. Thomas-Greenfield, an
African-American woman, a seat on his National Security Council...
0 Replies

revelette3

Tue 24 Nov, 2020 09:05 am
Apparently those kinds of choices aren't enough for some of the more leftist wing of progressives who say that they helped Biden win the election. I have been scratching my head over that and the only I can come to is at least they didn't do another 2016 and didn't encourage any of their base to do it. So in that sense, yes they did help Biden win the General election.

However, It was the likes of ClyBurn who won Joe Biden the primary. After it was all but certain, the rest of democrats all came aboard, including the progressives as well as even anti-Trump republicans.

The social justice protest (is that the right term?) after more senseless deaths of black men by the police was a uniting protest of all democrats and independents, blacks, white, brown, moderate, leftist progressive and left leaning independents came out in support of the protest.

I am just saying diversity and unity has been the name of the Biden's presidential campaign.
snood

Tue 24 Nov, 2020 09:15 am
@revelette3,
I haven't seen protests from the more rabid progressive sct yet, about specific Biden picks, have you? Not that I don't expect there to be some. So far all I've seen is arguments against potential picks, like Rham Emanuel.