Charleston Church Massacre: Thug, Terrorism, Disturbed Loner?

izzythepush

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 12:43 pm
Quote:
A fundraising website launched by the sister of a gunman who killed 9 people at a US church has been taken down after heavy criticism on social media.

A page set up in the name of Amber Roof had called for donations to pay for her wedding, which was cancelled after the attack on the church in South Carolina.

She said her wedding day had been "tainted by the actions of one man".

Dylann Roof was charged with nine counts of murder for the attack on African-American church in Charleston.

Ms Roof was due to marry her partner Michael on 21 June, four days after the attack on the Emanuel AME Church.

Writing on their fundraising page, the couple said their "lives were forever changed" by the event, adding that the media "abused our privacy" by publishing details about their wedding.

They said they had cancelled their wedding "to protect our family and mourn the lives of those lost".

The money would help "to cover lost wedding costs, to pay bills, and to send us on our dream honeymoon", they wrote.

The couple added that they would give 10% of funds raised to the church in Charleston.
Just before the page was taken down on Thursday afternoon they had raised about $1,600 (£1,025) of their $5,000 target.

GoFundMe told the BBC that the page had been taken down by the user, not the company.

One person who had donated wrote: "I can't imagine what you are going through. I too have a selfish brother that has ruined a few of my special days."

But on Twitter, many users accused the campaign of being insensitive, with one saying: "If the public of Charleston has spare money it should not be going to you."

Dylann Roof was arrested the day after the shootings, more than 200 miles (320 km) away in North Carolina.

He appeared in court in Charleston on 19 June and was charged with nine counts of murder and one weapons possession charge.

South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley has called for the 21-year-old to face the death penalty.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-33373459<br /> <br />
glitterbag

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 03:57 pm
@izzythepush,
If my brother had been the racist that murdered 9 people because he wanted to start a race war, I would have changed my name and moved to an isolated area. I don't think I've ever seen anything so shallow as "my brother killed 9 innocent people and ruined my wedding", so can you chip in and send us on our dream honeymoon. I'm astounded that she even thinks it's possible for her to live a normal life after this atrocity. I know she didn't commit the crime, but this is hanging over her families heads for the rest of their lives.

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 04:07 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
I know she didn't commit the crime, but this is hanging over her families heads for the rest of their lives.

Unfairly. Why are you condoning injustice?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 04:44 pm
@glitterbag,
Yeh, she's a real piece of work. "Lets see if I can cash in on this terrible incident".
Everything seems to fly over hawkees head
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 04:51 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Yeh, she's a real piece of work. "Lets see if I can cash in on this terrible incident".
Everything seems to fly over hawkees head

I did not dispute that she is a piece of work, I was talking about this concept that a relative doing evil should hang over her head, as if she has any responsibility for the bad act.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 05:24 pm
@hawkeye10,
You didn't show that much concern for the relatives of Michael Brown. Actually I don't think you showed any.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 06:15 pm
@izzythepush,
The fact that his sister could view herself as deserving charity because her brother killed 9 people speaks for itself. Like it or not, when her obituary is written, it will mention her brother went on a killing spree in an historic black church in 2015.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 06:22 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
Like it or not, when her obituary is written, it will mention her brother went on a killing spree in an historic black church in 2015.

fair or not....

relevant or not.....

We are responsible for our actions, not for others.
roger

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 06:30 pm
@hawkeye10,
She is indeed responsible for hers.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 06:31 pm
@hawkeye10,
Yes, everyone knows that. However, in actual real life, not the utopia you suddenly are describing, horrendous murders and family members of the perpetrators are never really forgotten.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 06:49 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

Yes, everyone knows that. However, in actual real life, not the utopia you suddenly are describing, horrendous murders and family members of the perpetrators are never really forgiven.

fixed.

And wrong is still wrong
glitterbag

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 09:46 pm
@hawkeye10,
asshole, i said forgotten not forgiven.....dont you ever misquote me again. I don't give a good god damn if you like me or loath me, but misquoting my statement framed by glitterbag wrote is a wussy move, and you know it, shame on you, you spineless jerk.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2015 01:09 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

We are responsible for our actions, not for others.

And she decided to exploit her brother's murderous rampage by setting herself up as a charity case.

That tells you all you need to know about her in a nutshell.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2015 01:10 am
@glitterbag,
Hawkeye prefers lies to truth, it's the only way he can ever win an argument.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2015 02:06 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
That tells you all you need to know about her in a nutshell.

super. Then blame her for what she has done, not for what her brother has done
roger

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2015 02:25 am
@hawkeye10,
That's all anyone around here has been doing.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2015 03:10 pm
Quote:
With our monuments lying about secession, our textbooks obfuscating what the Confederacy was about, and our army honoring its generals, no wonder so many Americans supported the Confederacy until last week. We can literally see the impact Confederate symbols and thinking had on Dylann Roof, but other examples abound. In his mugshot, Timothy McVeigh, who bombed the Murrah Building in Oklahoma City in 1995, wore a neo-Confederate T-shirt showing Abraham Lincoln and the words, "Sic semper tyrannis!" When white students in Appleton, Wis., a recovering sundown town that for decades had been "all white" on purpose, had issues with Mexican American students in 1999, they responded by wearing and waving Confederate flags, which they already had at home, at the ready. Across the country, removing slavery from its central role in prompting the Civil War marginalizes African-Americans and makes us all stupid.

De-Confederatizing the United States won't end white supremacy, but it will be a momentous step in that direction.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/commentary/ct-confederate-myths-20150702-story.html#page=2

Tell you what.....if you are sure that the textbooks and monuments are wrong then go get me 90% of the top American history experts to sign a paper with you stating thus. Till then I will consider the claim to be highly improbable, because that would mean that the field of history is corrupted, and since I dont know that I will not assume it either. I do believe that the education system is corrupt, so I have no doubt that "educators" would lie to the students.

As for this bullshit "confederate thinking turns moderns into killers" WTF, just how dumb do you think we are?
roger

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2015 03:28 pm
@hawkeye10,
Oh, come one now. You couldn't get 90% of them to sign anything vaguely controversial. That's just plain rhetoric.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2015 03:30 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Oh, come one now. You couldn't get 90% of them to sign anything vaguely controversial. That's just plain rhetoric.

Then the one person making the claim needs to do the best they can. I am not going to take one persons opinion as meaningful, history is written by committee.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2015 03:40 pm
I've read this thread with interest. What strikes me about the coverage of the racist murderer Roof is the seeming tendency to attribute motivations other than those that are obvious and even confessed to by the racist murderer. Why all the hand-wringing angst about whether he's crazy or sane? Why can't he just be a racist murderer with no more profound 'reason' than that he's just an evil person? Those exist, you know.