Passenger Plane Crashes in French Alps.

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2015 10:33 am
Killer: "Doc, I am having trouble with my eyes"

Doc: "no, you have trouble with your head, again".

I am sure that did not go down well with this guy prone to delusions of grandeur. .
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2015 10:42 am
Quote:
It’s true that the crash of Mozambique Airlines flight 470 in Namibia two years ago was much like the Germanwings tragedy: One pilot went to the bathroom and was locked out by the other.*

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/foreigners/2015/03/how_to_prevent_the_next_germanwings_disaster_all_airlines_should_adopt_the.html

If I once knew this I had forgotten. Saletan makes a pretty good argument that not leaving only one person in the cockpit is a good idea, though I still dont like it.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2015 10:48 am
@hawkeye10,
I notice the GF gave an interview to the police where she reportedly said that they had not broken up.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2015 11:19 am
@ehBeth,
I agree that's interesting, re 'eye doctor', but I take that as probably an outside assessment of the person's job.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2015 11:23 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I didn't know that. Wonder if that is true here.
I have a friend who a long time ago did medical illustration for a neurosurgeon's book, which is neither here nor there, but makes me wonder about differences in being a neurologist vs. a neurosurgeon, if any.

My 'eye doctor' (ophthalmologist) also has a doctorate in physics. I've read about his training online, and there's no data for his being a psychiatrist as well. So, I take it neuro ophthamology (I'm probably messing up the spelling) is a separate field? All neurologists are also psychiatrists? I'm obviously confused here, but interested.

ehBeth

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2015 11:30 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
1. but makes me wonder about differences in being a neurologist vs. a neurosurgeon, if any.

2. So, I take it neuro opthamology (I'm probably messing up the spelling) is a separate field?

1. huge differences

2. yes
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2015 11:32 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Psychotherapy is not an accepted professional practice here. Anyone can say they are a psychotherapist - there is no control over training requirements - no licensing.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2015 11:35 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

ehBeth wrote:
I wonder what an "eye doctor" is supposed to be.
Should be an ophthalmologist in English (it's the literal translation of the German "Augenarzt")

if that is the case, they are definitely not qualified to provide any commentary on anyone's psychological state (or at least, no more qualified than any member of the general public)

I wouldn't recommend using eye doctor as a term here. Literal translations are dangerous. It's a definite problem for me when I'm having a bad EFL moment.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2015 11:36 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
All neurologists are also psychiatrists?

definitely not
ossobuco

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2015 11:38 am
@ehBeth,
So, if I follow, neurologists in Germany are also psychiatrists, but not so in Canada, and I'm almost sure not in the U.S.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2015 11:40 am
@ehBeth,
I am understanding now.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2015 11:42 am
@ossobuco,
No idea about Germany but neurologists in the US and Canada are not also psychiatrists unless they are cross-qualified. It would be a rather odd cross-0ver as the principles of practice are quite radically different.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2015 11:49 am
@ehBeth,
It certainly has to do with the history of these medical subjects here in Germany ... since 1808.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2015 11:54 am
@ehBeth,
Here in the U.S., a lot of people call their optometrist their 'eye doctor', which also muddies the waters re qualifications.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2015 11:58 am
@ossobuco,
That's why the original CNN Euro article was so funny (to me). Eye doctor is a totally meaningless term - some people use it for their optometrist, some people use it for the guy/gal at the optician who does eye measurements but isn't a doctor of any type, others use it for ophthalmologist.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2015 12:35 pm
@ehBeth,
The funny thing about the 'eye doctor' of the old lady we care for is that he not only has a doctorate in medicine but in engineer sciences as well.

http://i57.tinypic.com/29d7l0k.jpg
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2015 09:22 pm
They are reporting here they have found a video taken from inside the cabin . Probably wont change much but it would be a horror movie for the relatives .
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2015 10:02 pm
@Ionus,
Too bad who ever had it did not have the decency to not show anyone. Some things should be secrets.
Ionus

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2015 10:10 pm
@hawkeye10,
Yes, I agree it would be horrific but a tape of the Mt Erebus crash was also found and it eventually made its way onto the screen . Probably a low level investigator picked it up out of the debris field .
0 Replies

carloslebaron

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2015 07:51 am
@Ionus,
Quote:
I have a scenario that does not involve suicide and fits all of the facts KNOWN AT THIS TIME .

They had just reached cruising height when the pressure differential caused the nose wheel seal to pop . The Captain left the cockpit . The cockpit depressurised slowly .

The Captain returned and the co-pilot, disorientated moved the switch to lock out the Captain . The captain, thinking he had been deliberately locked out, never returned to the entry panel to enter the code . At the time he was supposed to be re-entering the code, he is heard smashing on the door, probably with a fire extinguisher, but at least with something metal .

The co-pilot has slumped forward in his harness, just pushing the column forward enough for a steep rate of descent . The forces feedback from the controls keep the column hard up against the co-pilot . His breathing is heard because he is struggling in the thin air . He never recovers in time .

Or a case of suicide and pre-meditated homicide to kill his ex-girlfriend who dumped him... perhaps the fly attendant or a female passenger...