Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2015 09:12 am
@carloslebaron,
Carlos has spoken, all hail Carlos.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2015 10:10 am
@glitterbag,
The Germanwings crash was a tragedy for our school. Then the press descended
Quote:
We wanted space to grieve for fellow students and teachers killed in last week’s appalling air crash. But the ruthlessness of some journalists made it impossible
[... ... ... ... ...]
Dear representatives of the press: do you remember the promises that you once gave when receiving your official press pass? Show us that you are still capable of shame and compassion. Do not try to get the most exclusive footage at any cost.

Dear consumers of tabloid media: avoid reading the most sensational news. Reputable portals provide better information, less emotional agitation and are more objective in general.

In the end, it comes down to this: you, the consumers, pay the journalists who are willing to cross any boundary to appear on the doorsteps of affected families.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2015 12:08 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

Carlos has spoken,

Yeah, out of his arse, as always.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2015 08:44 am
@Ionus,
Quote:
They are reporting here they have found a video taken from inside the cabin .
The investigators have found cell phones but deny that one has a recording, but one French reporter is insisting that he has seen it and it exists .
ehBeth

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2015 08:47 am
@Ionus,
there is a report of second black box being recovered

______

I find it hard to believe that there were no calls out by mobile - I hope those calls remain private.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2015 08:54 am
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2015/04/02/germanwings-copilot-depression/70818268/

More here, 2nd black box, but also more info - re his internet searching
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2015/04/02/germanwings-copilot-depression/70818268/
Olivier5

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2015 09:28 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I applaud the German (and French) attitude to this. Tabloids eager to score a scoop can go to hell.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2015 10:16 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

I applaud the German (and French) attitude to this. Tabloids eager to score a scoop can go to hell.
trying to talk to people who have just suffered tragedy is a long practiced part of journalism. It has usually been controversial. The argument is that the peoples right to know competes with the desires of the mourners
Olivier5

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2015 10:23 am
@hawkeye10,
There is a right to know but is this really what this is about? I don't really "need" to "know" any unchecked, sensationalist BS from unprincipled journalists. They are just muddling the water to make a buck.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2015 10:38 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
the peoples right to know

the right to know what?

the cause of the crash

people's feelings in the moments prior to the crash

people's feelings about the death of their friends and family

___

I understand the first one.

Would argue that ''the people'' have no right to know anything about the other two.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2015 10:40 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

There is a right to know but is this really what this is about? I don't really "need" to "know" any unchecked, sensationalist BS from unprincipled journalists. They are just muddling the water to make a buck.

is it their fault or is it our fault? We eat up emotional story telling, we tend to like those stories a lot more than we do fact based stories. And we love our victims too. It is a one/two punch. Who can blame those who want to satisfy our hunger, for profit? Sounds all American to me.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2015 11:24 am
@hawkeye10,
It's both. There is a market for juicy non-news collected unscrupulously, just like there is a market for stolen live organs or looted antique artifacts. Both the seller and the buyer are guilty in my view.
farmerman

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2015 11:32 am
@ehBeth,
My mom used to sy
"When I was a girl, people would just "drop dead" now everybody's gotta know why."
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2015 12:22 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

It's both. There is a market for juicy non-news collected unscrupulously, just like there is a market for stolen live organs or looted antique artifacts. Both the seller and the buyer are guilty in my view.

I agree....I was playing devils advocate.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2015 12:42 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
I was playing devils advocate.

I guessed as much. What people really need to know and what they sort of want to know for the thrill of it, are two different things. In this case, what I personally needed to know was the cause of the crash, i.e. the way it happened and motives of this co-pilot. I travel often and need to know that to feel safe, and I did get sufficient info on that... I don't need to know who his last girlfriend was, whether his father wears briefs, how his mother is feeling, or how people freaked out in that plane moments before their death.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2015 01:03 pm
@Olivier5,
Nobody needs to know what the Kardashians are up to, but we spend a lot of money to find out. You French know who they are, right?
Olivier5

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2015 01:08 pm
@hawkeye10,
Yes, the girl with the big ass. We even have a copy-cat of her in France, forgot her name... Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2015 01:08 pm
@hawkeye10,
She's that woman who was photographed shitting a bin liner.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2015 01:13 pm
@ossobuco,
ahem - the internet searching he did recently was interesting re the cause of the crash, see my last post.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2015 01:29 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

ahem - the internet searching he did recently was interesting re the cause of the crash, see my last post.

It does not explain the 149 murders.
0 Replies