Passenger Plane Crashes in French Alps.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 08:12 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:
Does anyone know what a prosecutor is doing on an investigation board ?
A prosecutor is leading the investigation - here, in Germany, as well as in many other countries. (All investigations are being led by the public prosecution service, the prosectution ("Staatsanwaltschaft") is the so-called "Herrin des Verfahrens". [Police is an 'aiding organisation', "Hilfsorgan der Staatsanwaltschaft".]
The German prosecution office of Düsseldorf has taken over the investigation for/in Germany.
Ionus wrote:
Before a decision is reached by a neutral investigation ?
Any "neutral investigation" e.g. by 'flight inspectors' etc is done to help the prosecution.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 08:28 am
The flight club, where the first officer had been a member, had posted yesterday a condolence on the main page - since noon today, the complete website is down.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 08:31 am
@Ionus,
Why is he speaking publicly at all at this point? that seems foolish and inappropriate
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 08:32 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Prosecution and police are searching his flat in Düsseldorf, where he lived since some time, just now.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 08:34 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
Why is he speaking publicly at all at this point? that seems foolish and inappropriate
Might be so. But it's the usual procedure here (and in France).
ehBeth

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 08:43 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Usual does not equal sensible or smart.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 08:54 am
@ehBeth,
It has been said in various press conferences here as well - Merkel will do it in five minutes.

"We" expect the prosecution to give results as soon as possible. (Though they can't and don't a lot when they just start investigating - some English speaking reporters asked the prosecutor about results in Düsseldorf when they just started their job ...)
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 08:58 am
@ehBeth,
French Law is basically if the Police arrest you, you have to prove you are not guilty . Trial without Jury can have 3 judges, though they have jury trials too . I can only assume that the prosecutor investigates 'accidents' to see if charges are to be laid or not, in keeping with if the Police arrest you, you have to prove not guilty .

He is the Marseille public prosecutor and I dont know if he has even seen an aircraft crash before .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosecutor#France
Quote:
France

In France, the Office of the Prosecutor includes a Chief Prosecutor, or Procureur de la République (or procureur général in an appellate court or in the Supreme Court) assisted by deputy prosecutors (avocats généraux) and assistant prosecutors (substituts). The Chief Prosecutor generally initiates preliminary investigations and, if necessary, asks an examining judge, or juge d'instruction, be assigned to lead a formal judicial investigation. When an investigation is led by a judge, the prosecutor plays a supervisory role, defining the scope of the crimes being examined by the judge and law enforcement forces. Like defense counsel, the chief prosecutor may petition or motion for further investigation. During criminal proceedings, prosecutors are responsible for presenting the case at trial to either the Bench or jury. They generally suggest advisory sentencing guidelines, but it remains at the Court's discretion to decide its own sentence, increased or reduced as it sees fit. In addition, prosecutors have several administrative duties. Prosecutors are considered by French law as magistrates (as in most civil law countries). While the defense and plaintiff are both represented by common lawyers, sitting on the ground in the courtroom, the prosecutor sits on a platform as the court does, although he doesn't participate in deliberation. Judges and prosecutors are trained in the same school, and regard each other as colleagues.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 09:10 am
@Ionus,
Oh my God, the French have a different legal system. How dare they?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 09:12 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

French Law is basically if the Police arrest you, you have to prove you are not guilty .
Your opinion is based on what? There are several French laws about that (latest is the Loi Guigou in the Code de procédure pénale)
Olivier5

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 09:13 am
@Ionus,
Quote:
I cant say if that is right or wrong, but I caution people about believing French Prosecutors when a French Company is involved .

That's total BS. Plus there's no French company involved.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 09:14 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:
He is the Marseille public prosecutor and I dont know if he has even seen an aircraft crash before .
He is one of the prosecutors in the Marseille office.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 09:16 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Zut alors! C'est incroyable!
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 09:21 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Plus there's no French company involved.
Airbus is based in Blagnac, France, a suburb of Toulouse, with production and manufacturing facilities mainly in France, Germany, Spain and the United Kingdom.

Oli, better check before calling bullshit or it will just make you look stupid .
Ionus

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 09:25 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
He is one of the prosecutors in the Marseille office.
I have only news reports that say he is THE prosecutor . I would be grateful for a reference . Thanks in advance...
eg
Marseille's public prosecutor Brice Robin
The public prosecutor of Marseille, France,
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 09:26 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Are you going somewhere with that ?
Ionus

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 09:29 am
@Walter Hinteler,
It is not my opinion . We had a man arrested in France for assault despite being outnumbered and the victim of the assault . His case made the papers here . He had to prove he was not guilty because he had been charged by the Police .
ehBeth

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 09:29 am
@Ionus,
I'm familiar with it. In Canada, Quebec follows a Civil Code, while the other provinces follow Common Law principles.
Ionus

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 09:32 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
I'm familiar with it. In Canada, Quebec follows a Civil Code, while the other provinces follow Common Law principles.
Now THAT would make for some interesting disputes with multiple jurisdictions, say a national class action .
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 09:37 am
@Ionus,
Just laughing my ass off at your parochialism.