Potty-Mouthed Princesses Drop F-Bombs for Feminism by FCKH8.com

maxdancona

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2014 12:05 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
That's just how things are, and unless you want to live in a dictatorial state where people are forced to think in a particular way, that's how things will continue to be.

I sure wouldn't want to live in a dictatorial state where people are forced to think in a particular way. I suggest the following.

1) We agree that women deserve "equality safety and respect".
2) I respect your decision to embrace the "feminist" label.
3) You respect my decision to reject the label "feminist" label.

That way neither of us is telling the other how we should think. We seem to agree on everything other than the label... and it seems to me that the label far less important than the underlying principles.

Let's say we stop the petty bickering. Let's accept that each person has a right to choose which labels we embrace or reject.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2014 12:20 pm
@maxdancona,
But I have the right to label you a feminist if I want to. You can still reject it, but however much you want things to be, you can't stop it.

And really, if I called you a feminist (I'm not btw) how much pain and suffering would that cause you?
maxdancona

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2014 12:23 pm
@izzythepush,
Of course you have the right. It seems a little disrespectful to slap a label on someone if they don't want it. Imagine how you would feel if someone insisted on giving you a label you didn't like. It wouldn't really hurt you... but it isn't very polite.

But of course, you are free to put whatever label you want on people.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2014 12:26 pm
@maxdancona,
Life isn't polite.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2014 02:16 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Do woman have the right to not be feminists? Can a woman reject the "feminist" label (as many do) and still deserve respect for their decisions.

Hingehead and Glitterbag apparently think women shouldn't have this freedom.

This a pathetic straw man argument. I'm not forcing anyone to do anything. Of course a woman can reject the label, but that doesn't Mean she's not a feminist by my definition. I went to pains to explain this. You're just wilfully barrow pushing in circles. Oh great anti-feminist who thinks his daughter shouldn't be disadvantaged by her gender.

maxdancona

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2014 02:52 pm
@hingehead,
Quote:
Oh great anti-feminist who thinks his daughter shouldn't be disadvantaged by her gender.

I hope that least you agree with me that my daughter shouldn't be disadvantaged by her gender. Of all the principles we have been discussion, this is the most important one for me.

If we can agree on this, the label you choose to attach to yourself doesn't matter to me.
hingehead

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2014 07:03 pm
@maxdancona,
Max, we got to that on page 1 http://able2know.org/topic/257724-1#post-5795386

That you engaged in a battle no one else engaged is an indication of the baggage you carry re feminism.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2014 07:51 pm
@hingehead,
I love irony.
hingehead

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2014 08:04 pm
@maxdancona,
I love all metal-based adjectives.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2014 10:01 pm
@hingehead,
I didn't think I had the power to deny anyone their point of view. My objection was simply a statement (I think) that you have given the word feminist the same negative power as the world 'feminazi'. Some people believe all feminists are angry, shrill, man hating harpys, I don't like that connotation of that label, but i doubt anyone who uses that definition would shrink from pasting that label on me, you're right, it is impolite but it's also not me. Phyllis Shafly is an angry, shrill harpy of a woman who thinks she gets to dictate what a woman's world should look like, Surprise, she doesn't. She seems to think she is smart enough to choose the right path for herself, I wish she believed that other women were as smart as she thinks she is.
InkRune

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2014 10:03 pm
@hingehead,
Oh oh oh! Touche!
maxdancona

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2014 10:11 pm
@glitterbag,
The feminist brand is being damaged by people calling themselves feminists acting irrationally. In my opinion the term feminism has no value. If someone says "I support equal rights for women" that should be enough.

But this isn't the point. The point is that the word feminism now has baggage. This is because people representing the "feminist" brand consistently act unreasonably.

Take a look at what is happening in UVA, where a single, unsourced, illogical story about an alleged gang rape that most likely didn't happen has caused such uproar. There is no victim. There are no perpetrators. There is just a story swallowed by people because it matches their political biases even though it makes no sense.

That is danger of any "-ism". Once you swallow the narrative the facts become irrelevant. This has happened over and over again.
hingehead

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2014 10:39 pm
@InkRune,
It was goldy, wasn't it?
glitterbag

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2014 11:14 pm
@hingehead,
Hinge, I recently saw another video of the potty mouth princesses, but this time they are still wearing the fairy princess outfits, but the makeup artists gave them black eyes and split lips, bruises and bandages as they decry domestic violence. The director was asked if he was exploiting the girls and he said no, because within 5 years or less these girls will be young women with another problem to face. Unfortunately, he is right, very few young women manage to escape abusive behaviour altogether, but it needs to be said that it exists, and the earlier girls find out it's a possibility the earlier they will recognize it and hopefully still steer clear.

I'm speaking as a woman whose first husband made me believe, really believe he loved me more than life itself. The abuse initially was subtle but became increasingly aggressive until the night he pointed a fully automate weapon with a banana clip in my face and promised he would kill me, my son and himself. I wasn't sure until the next afternoon, that weapon was chambered and ready.
My father took the rounds out and broke down the weapon. That was the last night we ever slept under the same roof. I'm not stupid, but I fell for his wounded soul persona, until I realized I was the one becoming an empty shell. And he never got tired of isolating me, if he hadn't broken his hand then go see my mom to tell her about the former all night horror show, I'm not sure how it would have gone. But when your mother calls at 7 in the morning and demands to know what happened, I could no longer kid myself things would get better.
hingehead

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2014 12:45 am
@glitterbag,
Hi GB

Thanks for sharing your story and the news about the other video.

I imagine some will say we should preserve childhood innocence as long as possible, which seems in vain as kids seem more and more desperate to grow up as quickly as possible.

My own exposure to domestic abuse (in my neighbourhood as opposed to my family) was very disorienting because it seemed like no adult would talk about it - to us kids at least, so we were never sure if was just a one in a million occurrence or perfectly normal, and I had the sense that it would be a bad subject to bring up. Took a fair bit more of life to figure out it was somewhere between rare and commonplace.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2014 04:22 am
@maxdancona,
Feminism, (it's not a brand,) is being damaged by people like you, and Glen Beck who deliberately distort what feminism is.

You now think you have the right to tell all women they should no longer call themselves women.

You clearly do love irony, although you probably don't understand it.

Now you're claiming gang rapes never happen. Carry on like this and you'll soon be up there will BillRM, claiming that 99.999% of rapes are false, brought on by the woman regretting a drunken sexual encounter.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2014 10:39 am
@izzythepush,
Of course Feminism is a brand. If it wasn't a brand, then we would be talking about principles rather than labels. You and I agree with most of the principles... and yet we are arguing because of the label. That is the definition of "brand".

Of course people born female have the right to not be called woman. If someone who was born biologically female asks me not to refer to her as a woman...

I would respect that. Wouldn't you?

This whole thing is about respect. If someone wants to be labeled feminist, then I will call them feminist. If someone chooses to not be called feminist... I won't call them feminist.

I am not Glenn Beck. I am not BillRM. I am politically progressive. I support woman's rights including equal pay. I support respect.

I simply reject the feminist brand. If it weren't a brand, then you would respect my decision to not take on this label (given that I agree with the important principles).
maxdancona

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2014 12:38 pm
@maxdancona,
I like this article and I think she has a good point. It is good to know that young feminists are actually thinking about these things.

http://feministing.com/2013/04/18/what-can-we-do-about-feminisms-brand-problem/
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2014 02:47 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
I am not Glenn Beck. I am not BillRM.

But you stuck your tongue right up Oralboy's arse straight after he posted disgusting things about me and my daughter. So in light of that it's a fair comment. You're more like them than you care to admit.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2014 02:53 pm
@izzythepush,
I don't know what you are talking. In spite of your petty personal attacks, I have been very careful to take the high road. I stick to principles and to ideas. I am proud of that.

Please link to which of my posts you found problematic. If I said anything that could be even remotely construed as a personal attack toward you or your daughter, I will sincerely apologize.

But I don't think there is anything.