Potty-Mouthed Princesses Drop F-Bombs for Feminism by FCKH8.com

hingehead

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2014 09:33 pm
@maxdancona,
No, I think you're getting confused - I am definitely talking about my collection of labels.

A woman may not want to be called a feminist, but if she passes the seagull **** test I will label her a feminist, in my own little head.

There are a bunch of people I label as assholes. But I wouldn't go out of my way to call them assholes, even if they haven't expressed the view that they don't want to be called assholes.

I've given you my definition of feminist. Anyone who doesn't fit it I won't label a feminist. You can use your definition. But if we are going to have a conversation about what a feminist is - I'm going to stick by my definition and justify it. You can try the same.
glitterbag

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2014 10:06 pm
@hingehead,
Not to muddy the waters, but up until recently I truly belied Bill Cosby was America's favorite Dad. I'm betting he doesn't like to think he's a creep who drugs women so he can violate them at leisure. On another thread, hawkeye claims that Feminists worship Cosby, he actually believes there is some organization that can give a feminist stamp of approval to shows, causes or individuals, ergo Feminists now have egg on there faces. Poor Hawk, he thinks women are stupid.

I however do not believe lady-like or gentlemanly are negative terms. I'm not a man, I don't want to be thought of as manly, I prefer strong, polite, courteous. These are not negative qualities in a man or women. The key is respect, if you don't respect yourself you probably don't respect anyone else either. I feel for Max, he's longing for a 'Father knows Best' return to when everything was perfect because women never got angry, they just wanted to make you a sandwich. I hope in his next life, he gets to return as a mother of 4 in 1952, married to a General Motors guy who paints Chevys on an assembly line. I get warm and fuzzy just thinking about it. Sigghhhhhhh

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2014 10:18 pm
@hingehead,
I accept that Hingehead. You can slap whatever label you want on a woman whether she wants it or not. She can't do anything about it (and neither can I).

I just think it is a little funny, this being a thread on feminism, that you would do such a thing.
hingehead

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2014 10:20 pm
@maxdancona,
Really? I find it disturbing that you think feminism is a label with bad connotations and reject it being applied to yourself.
hingehead

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2014 10:24 pm
@hingehead,
In my own little catalogue of the world I think of feminism as part union/part instersection with humanism. Anyone I call a humanist gets labelled 'good people'.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2014 10:36 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I just think it is a little funny, this being a thread on feminism, that you would do such a thing.

Well, I think it's funny "this being a thread on feminism (sic)". You think you have anything useful to add.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2014 10:47 pm
@glitterbag,
Useful? Ha Ha
glitterbag

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2014 11:00 pm
@maxdancona,
Yeah, made me laugh out loud as well. But I did get my husbands approval before I responded.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2014 11:09 pm
@glitterbag,
That's interesting Glitterbag...

If you decided that you didn't want the "feminist" label, would your husband support your decision? Or would your husband force this label on you even if you didn't want it. (Hingehead insists you accept the "feminist" label whether you want it or not).

I think the decision is solely yours to make.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2014 08:15 am
@maxdancona,
I get that I will never change your minds on this, but I hope you at least see the humorous contradiction here.

You, as feminists, are trying to force women to accept the feminist label... even if they don't want to. And you deride any woman who chooses to reject this label.

Come on now! Admit it. That's funny.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2014 10:08 am
@maxdancona,
Have you ever received a pm from anyone congratulating you on one of your funny posts Max. If the answer is "No," I'd leave the whole area of humour well alone. Even if the answer is "Yes," I'd still avoid it, because that person is clearly delusional.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2014 10:09 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

But I did get my husbands approval before I responded.

Now that's funny. Shot over Max's head though.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2014 11:04 am
@izzythepush,
Actually, I think it went over your head Izzy. The contradiction is obvious (and amusing). I will try to explain it again.

If Glitterbag's husband tells her she should be a feminist even though she doesn't want that label... don't you agree that he should respect her choice? You, Izzy, seem to be telling women they have free choice as long as they agree with you (which isn't really much of a free choice).

This little argument is about a woman's choice to be a feminist or not. I think a woman should be able to choose how she labels herself.

If we could agree on that simple principle... that of a woman's free choice... maybe we could make some progress. Apparently you and Hingehead have a problem with that.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2014 11:15 am
@maxdancona,
Gb was making a joke about having to ask her husband something. Clearly she doesn't, that's the joke.

Your long spiel shows you didn't get it. That in itself is not a problem, it only becomes a problem when you try to lecture the rest of us who actually did get it.

Has anyone ever pmd you about your hilariously funny posts?
maxdancona

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2014 11:17 am
@izzythepush,
The basic issue is this.

Do woman have the right to not be feminists? Can a woman reject the "feminist" label (as many do) and still deserve respect for their decisions.

Hingehead and Glitterbag apparently think women shouldn't have this freedom.

What do you think Izzy?
izzythepush

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2014 11:23 am
@maxdancona,
People can call themselves whatever they want, and interpret something however they want. That can apply to a word, a person or a group. That's just how things are.

In what way do you think Hinge and Gb have robbed women of their freedom?

Why do you keep dodging the question about pms? A simple yes or no would suffice. Has anybody ever pmd you to tell you how funny one of your posts was?
maxdancona

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2014 11:26 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Why do you keep dodging the question about pms?

That is an awfully personal question Izzy.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2014 11:41 am
@izzythepush,
I am trying to discuss principles. You are trying to win a schoolyard mudslinging fight.

The principles behind my point of view are:

- Women should have equality, safety and respect.
- You can believe in equality and respect without using the "feminist" label.
- People who reject the "feminist" label should be allowed to do so and be given respect.
- The principles of equality and respect are far more important than any "label". Labels can be misunderstood and misused. Clearly stated principles can not.
- It is a bad thing when a label becomes more important than principles, especially when different people attach different meanings to the label. It makes any discussion on the principles more difficult and any discussion more argumentative (as evidenced here).

There really is no need for petty personal attacks about husbands or pms.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2014 11:46 am
@maxdancona,
Not really, you were casting yourself as some sort of expert on humour. So you should have pms confirming such.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2014 11:52 am
@maxdancona,
I've not attacked anyone's husband.

And you're getting bogged down on this labelling issue. If you really believe women deserve "equality, safety and respect," then you're advocating feminism. Now you can reject that if you want, because you mistakenly think feminism is all about hating men, but you can't stop other people applying that if they want to.

That's just how things are, and unless you want to live in a dictatorial state where people are forced to think in a particular way, that's how things will continue to be.