Olivier5 wrote:

I was teasing you...

I know that...I was teasing you back.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 11:30 am
@Germlat,
Quote:
Funny thing is I get selected as a leader at work and rewarded for my enthusiasm in bed.

I don't imagine you meant this to be as funny as it sounds.
Germlat

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 11:40 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:
Funny thing is I get selected as a leader at work and rewarded for my enthusiasm in bed.

I don't imagine you meant this to be as funny as it sounds.

No!! Thank you for making me laugh out loud!! Never entered my mind...still too funny!!
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 04:43 pm
@hingehead,
Eye of the beholder indeed
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 04:49 pm
@Germlat,
I've no doubt she is, and certainly no reason to think otherwise. I'm not sure how it's relevant though. My point is that the days of mothers scolding their daughters for not being "lady-like" is long past. You may have found one of the last of a rare breed.

In any case, I'm not sure why it's so terrible to want your daughter to be "lady like" if your definition of the term is genteel. If it is, boys should be more "lady-like"
Germlat

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 05:19 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
No Finn it's not. I only have a son. But my friends have daughters...I've noticed this trend continuing. The ladylike thing means many things...it can mean to suppress anger, to not be competitive, to be a certain weight...etc. life is hard enough without having idiotic impositions placed on oneself.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 05:57 pm
@Germlat,
Hey, maybe you live in a small town in Alabama.
Germlat

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 06:00 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Hey, maybe you live in a small town in Alabama.

I've lived in 4 different countries....Europe/America. I've had to somewhat adapt everywhere....that attitude was consistent everywhere ( to some degree) even numerous states within the U.S.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2014 09:49 am
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10494687_10152530905963581_3127021319485497147_n.jpg?oh=cd7c863ed8a50f27f37a3d345db6fd2d&oe=5512396C&__gda__=1426632249_35241fcff2f7a4b1c4fa9f5c674f7ce3
maxdancona

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2014 08:49 am
@hingehead,
http://media.salon.com/2010/09/sarah_palins_feminist_revolution-460x307.jpg

Really Hingehead?
Olivier5

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2014 12:49 pm
@maxdancona,
How many female state governors were there 40 years ago?
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2014 05:28 pm
@maxdancona,
I don't even understand the point you're trying to make?

The sentence isn't formed as a question, but has a question mark at the end of it.

Perhaps it should read:

I'm not good at photoshop, or making coherent arguments?
maxdancona

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2014 05:44 pm
@hingehead,
Easy there Hingehead.

I was just poking fun at the claim that every woman is a feminist. The photoshop wasn't mine... it was made a feminist writer who rejects Sarah Palin's claim to feminism.

You might want to lighten up a bit there, mate.

hingehead

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2014 07:47 pm
@maxdancona,
Thanks for clearing that up - I really didn't understand the point.

I think Palin would agree that she wouldn't want to live forty years ago - she would never have got to be Alaska's governor back then. In fact, exactly 40 years ago was the first time any woman was elected to be governor who wasn't the spouse or widow of a former governor.

I'm happy for Palin to call herself a feminist - until she starts telling people how they must act and what they must do, because of their genders.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2014 08:11 pm
@hingehead,
Quote:
I'm happy for Palin to call herself a feminist - until she starts telling people how they must act and what they must do, because of their genders.

Some people are saying that women must be feminists simply because of their gender.

Are you against this or not?

There are a lot of women who emphatically say they don't want to be feminists. It seems to me that women should be able to make up their own minds on this issue.
hingehead

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2014 09:01 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Some people are saying that women must be feminists simply because of their gender.

Oh. Some people. Care for specifics?

But no I'm sure there are women who are sexist, for whatever reason. I won't label them feminists unless they don't think they should be treated like seagull **** on the windscreen of life - because of their reproductive bits.

I don't want to be a human - but I don't have any say in the matter. Labels are labels. Don't confuse the name with the thing.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2014 09:09 pm
@hingehead,
If a woman doesn't want to be called a feminist, that is her choice. This doesn't mean that she want sto be treated like "seagull ****". It just means that she doesn't want this label slapped on to her. In the post you made above with Helen Mirren is the specific example you request of the attitude that women should be feminists merely because of their "reproductive bits".

There are lots of women who don't want to be feminists, and they don't want the feminist label.

Why can't you respect their choice?

(You are man giving your opinion that self-respecting women should be feminists. I hope you at least see the irony in this.)
roger

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2014 09:14 pm
@hingehead,
Seagull **** on the windshield of life? I gotta fit this into a conversation before I forget.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2014 09:15 pm
@roger,
That is "hey should be treated like seagull **** on the windscreen of life - because of their reproductive bits." Don't leave out the "reproductive bits". That is the best part of that quote.
0 Replies