nononono

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2014 02:17 am
@nononono,
Anybody who minimizes the fact that suicide is a problem that predominantly affects men, and anyone who is willing to minimize the fact that men are shamed, or ignored, or made fun of, or looked down on for talking about their depression/unhappiness/issues, is part of the problem.

It's because of people like you that Robin Williams and others like him have chosen to end their lives.

Because if you're a man, you don't get the LUXURY of being depressed (aka being weak) or needing help.

I think that at the very least, the loss of this man who brought laughter to so many others should shed some light on the fact that men don't deserve to suffer in silence simply because society is telling them to shut up about their unhappiness.

If you can't recognize suicide as a predominantly male issue then as far as I'm concerned you're contributing to the problem.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2014 02:31 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Hanging can cause instant death,
but not if the neck remains intact, as it appears to have
in this case, with death resulting from slow strangulation.

David, with this short drop method of hanging, loss of conscious can be quite rapid, within 15 seconds or less, if the ligature is placed to provide sufficient pressure on the jugular vein and/or the carotid artery--it cuts off blood supply to or from the brain rather than causing slow strangulation by obstruction of the airway. The cause of death may still be ruled by the coroner as asphyxiation due to hanging.

You can read about it here.
http://lostallhope.com/suicide-methods/hanging/short-drop/simple-suspension

I have no interest in continuing to discuss this particular topic any further.
0 Replies

nononono

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2014 02:47 am
Life Is Too Short To Not Laugh! Very Happy

I tagged this, and I believe it's true.

Thank you for the laughs Mr. Williams!

0 Replies

kajla00007

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2014 04:19 am
@Butrflynet,
Again we lost a celebrity.
its bad. may god give peace to his soul.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2014 10:07 am
@nononono,
I usually do not agree with a comment that is geared toward one group - ie men/women/white/black - etc.

However, I can see some validity in your comments. In general courts do tend to favor women over men in divorce situations and it can have a devastating impact on the man – financially and often times emotionally especially where children are involved. My husband’s friend went through this – out of nowhere his wife said she wanted a divorce – a complete surprise to him. Ending result was, she was going to get so much of income for alimony and child support plus the house and the children. He would only have the children on certain days. He was going to have to live with his family as he would not be able to afford rent and pay the mortgage and other things. His whole life was turned upside down. He ended up before the divorce was finalized committing suicide as he saw no way out of it. It was very sad and his b* of a soon to be ex-wife didn’t even want to have a service for him and complained of his selfishness.

Similar thing happened to my brother - just financial-wise (fortunately he gets the kids as much as she does - probably because his ex-wife likes her freedom).

Of course not all women are like this that would bleed a man dry and try to take their children away from them and not all men are charmers and considerate either, and sometimes the court system does work (or on rare occassions favors the man), but I’ve seen more men get screwed over than women (on average) during a divorce.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2014 10:32 am
One gets the sense that Williams was dumb about marriage....getting married at all once he became super successful was a risky move, and he seems to have compounded the problem by not having prenups in place. Jim Carrey is the counterexample, for while he has lived with women he has rarely been married to any, and not since 1997.
BillRM

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2014 10:34 am
@Linkat,
Well a married contract is nothing of the kind since we got the wonderful concept of no fault divorces.

As the case you mention a woman can file for divorce for any or no reason and with kids the man end up supporting the ex-wife and the children and getting little or none of the normal benefits of having a family.

Once more the only defense to this is getting to know the woman over a prolong time before handing her a legal shotgun pointed at your heart that she can pull at any time for any reason or no reason.

I learn my lesson with my first wife and did not married my wife until we have a relationship for over 20 years.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2014 11:15 am
He's just resting.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2014 12:12 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawk, We all know you're smart about everything that concerns your personal life. It must be nice to be 'perfect.'
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2014 12:43 pm
Robin Williams wife has released a statement that does help to explain why he was so despondent that he ended his life--he was suffering from the early stages of Parkinson's Disease.

Quote:
Robin Williams Suffered From Parkinson's Disease, Wife Reveals In Touching Statement
The Huffington Post
By Stephanie Marcus
08/14/2014

As the world struggles to make sense of Robin Williams' death, his wife Susan Schneider revealed in a statement that the beloved actor was suffering from early stages of Parkinson's Disease:

“Robin spent so much of his life helping others. Whether he was entertaining millions on stage, film or television, our troops on the frontlines, or comforting a sick child — Robin wanted us to laugh and to feel less afraid.

Since his passing, all of us who loved Robin have found some solace in the tremendous outpouring of affection and admiration for him from the millions of people whose lives he touched. His greatest legacy, besides his three children, is the joy and happiness he offered to others, particularly to those fighting personal battles.

Robin's sobriety was intact and he was brave as he struggled with his own battles of depression, anxiety as well as early stages of Parkinson's Disease, which he was not yet ready to share publicly.

It is our hope in the wake of Robin’s tragic passing, that others will find the strength to seek the care and support they need to treat whatever battles they are facing so they may feel less afraid.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/14/robin-williams-parkinsons_n_5679283.html

ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2014 01:12 pm
@firefly,
So much joy, lightness, clarity, play, so many associations; sadness, sorrow, and darkness in there too; his brain seeming always in action mode whether or not he was still, quiet..... So much from one man. So much human understanding.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2014 02:48 pm
@firefly,
Parkinson's....there went any prayer of rebuilding the financial accounts. M J Fox gave working with Parkinson's a go and bombed, no one wil try that again for awhile.
Lash

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2014 03:13 pm
Too much on his plate. So sorry for his suffering.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2014 03:24 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
Parkinson's....there went any prayer of rebuilding the financial accounts.
That is false, because it was not visible.
He cud have gotten work; apparently he already had some in progress
and on the way, but we dunno the extent of his financial liabilities.

Insolvent ???????

Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2014 03:58 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
hawkarse is apparently obsessed with the money angle here. You'll never convince him otherwise. A closed mind is a terrible thing.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2014 04:08 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Parkinson's....there went any prayer of rebuilding the financial accounts. M J Fox gave working with Parkinson's a go and bombed, no one wil try that again for awhile.

Michael J. Fox has not only not "bombed", he's continued to work, despite his Parkinson's, consistently and successfully on a number of series over the years--he's currently on 'The Good Wife'. But he's been rather remarkable in that regard.

I also doubt that "rebuilding the financial accounts" was Williams' main concern since he reportedly had assets of $50 million and could have lived quite comfortably if he never worked again. But his ability to work, and his need to work, and his desire to work, may have mattered very much to him, and that would all be eventually imperiled by Parkinson's, as would be his ability to simply function in daily life.

The recent cancellation of his TV series after a single season might have been much more of an emotional blow to this aging actor, who had achieved such early wide success in this medium, than a wounding financial set-back. He had already completed work on 4 yet to be released films. He was continuing to earn good money, but not winning an audience for his TV series may have been a very personal matter for him.

Williams was already a senior citizen at 63, with a history of serious cardiac problems, and he now faced a future that apparently included a severely debilitating and progressive neurological disease for which there is no cure. The anxiety and depression about what lay in store for him, in every area of his life, may simply have been more than he could bear or tolerate.

And we don't know what else he might have been dealing with...

It's just a sad, sad, loss.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2014 04:12 pm
@firefly,
I would also add that he did 'a brave thing.' Caring for a loved one with Parkinson's is very difficult for the caregiver. I personally do not wish to impose that kind burden on my wife.
firefly

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2014 04:20 pm
@cicerone imposter,
And he had seen what caregiving involved with his close friend Christopher Reeve and his wife Dana.

Although I'm sure that Williams' wife and children would have preferred him to remain with them longer.
Lash

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2014 04:23 pm
@firefly,
I think a lot of us would check out early with a diagnosis like Alzheimer's or similar. Parkinson's is in that arena.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2014 04:35 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

Quote:
Parkinson's....there went any prayer of rebuilding the financial accounts.
M J Fox gave working with Parkinson's a go and bombed, no one wil try that again for awhile.

Michael J. Fox has not only not "bombed", he's continued to work,
despite his Parkinson's, consistently and successfully on a number
of series over the years--he's currently on 'The Good Wife'.
But he's been rather remarkable in that regard.

I also doubt that "rebuilding the financial accounts" was
Williams' main concern since he reportedly had assets of $50 million
and could have lived quite comfortably if he never worked again.
HOW can u assert that
without considering his outstanding financial liabilities ?
I dunno how much he owed; do u ?