Germlat

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 07:20 pm
@edgarblythe,
When I was a kid I wanted to be her!!..even though a different generation...I thought she was beautiful, sexy, sophisticated.. I wanted to be her Laughing
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 07:24 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:
Unexpected shocking and very sad news today.
Our world just got a lot more poorer. We lost an irreplaceable talent
and a great human being. Rest in peace dear Robin!
I don t believe that he is going to start RESTING
just because he molted off and shed his outer covering.
No one who has returned from death of his human body
has ever asserted that he began to REST when he got free of it,
altho it DOES feel better to get out.

David
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 07:25 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Just saw Lauren Bacall died today. Aged 89.

She shopped at the same bakery as Jane and I in New York. It was on our block. But never bumped into her.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 07:25 pm
@Germlat,
When I was a kid, I wanted to be Roy Roger's friend. Wink
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 07:31 pm
Lauren was her own person. A great lady.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 07:32 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:
I'm not sure it serves any useful purpose to publish a suicide note.
I understand many enjoyed his talent, it just that his fans are not next of kin,
we really don't need to know.
U dont NEED to have a rug on the floor or a TV either,
but we have them anyway. We have never been limited to our NEEDS.

Because he was a world wide known personality
and BECAUSE HE KNEW THAT, it is very possible and probable
that he left a parting message for his public and for his personal friends,
of whom he had many. He knew that too.

Chances are that he said: "Good-bye" and more than that.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 07:50 pm
in a 1987 interview Lauren Bacall is quizzed about he constantly picking " troubled" men, to which she says " ya but that is interesting isn't it, a lot more interesting than untroubled".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5QevHTlfHQ
2:38

Robin was troubled, but he probably would not have amounted to much if he had not been.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 08:03 pm
@hawkeye10,
How do you arrive at these conclusions? Are you a doctor MD or PhD in psychology/psychiatry?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 08:07 pm
Quote:
Back in September, Williams explained why he was returning to television for the first time in about 30 years with CBS' "The Crazy Ones," alongside actress Sarah Michelle Gellar.

“The idea of having a steady job is appealing," he told Parade. "I have two [other] choices: go on the road doing stand-up, or do small, independent movies working almost for scale [minimum union pay]. The movies are good, but a lot of times they don’t even have distribution. There are bills to pay. My life has downsized, in a good way. I’m selling the ranch up in Napa. I just can’t afford it anymore.”

https://gma.yahoo.com/look-robin-williams-estate-tragic-death-211044510--abc-news-celebrities.html

A ranch that he tried to sell last year for 35 mil and could not move, and has been listed since April for 30 mil and has not moved. Add in his lack of income potential because his career had largely died and I think we have our answer. THe man was out of money, the career was over, life was not fun anymore....time to go.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 08:43 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
Back in September, Williams explained why he was returning to television for the first time in about 30 years with CBS' "The Crazy Ones," alongside actress Sarah Michelle Gellar.

“The idea of having a steady job is appealing," he told Parade. "I have two [other] choices: go on the road doing stand-up, or do small, independent movies working almost for scale [minimum union pay]. The movies are good, but a lot of times they don’t even have distribution. There are bills to pay. My life has downsized, in a good way. I’m selling the ranch up in Napa. I just can’t afford it anymore.”

https://gma.yahoo.com/look-robin-williams-estate-tragic-death-211044510--abc-news-celebrities.html

A ranch that he tried to sell last year for 35 mil and could not move, and hasbeen listed since April for 30 mil and has not moved. Add in his lack of income potential because his career had largely died and I think we have our answer. THe man was out of money, the career was over, life was not funanymore....time to go.

Interesting. There are 3 Robin Williams films being released this year. You think he was worried about money? It's nice you gave it a try, dr. Hawk.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 08:54 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
Robin Williams admits his finances are far from a laughing matter.

The comedian has been left on the verge of bankruptcy after two costly divorces.

The 62-year-old is returning to TV and selling his $35 million house to help cover his debts.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2013/09/16/robin-williams-downsizing-after-divorces-has-to-sell-house/

Movies dont pay anything close to what they once did, as studios have decided that stars are not worth the money. And Robin Williams was not much of a star anymore. When Stars do get roles now most movie deals have almost all of the money loaded on the back end, which only gets paid out if the movie does well. Cameron Diaz for instance pulled in $40 mill for Bad Teacher, which cost $20 mill to make and grossed $220 mil. She was paid only $1 mill up front.

Williams had the very big problem of owning a lot of property, and needing to sell it for liquidity but was unable to do so. Paying taxes on that ranch for another year when he had no intention of doing it had to hurt.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 09:02 pm
I liked William's "Dead Poets Society' best because the storyline was about teaching kids to think for themselves and rise above the herd.
Here's a still from the great scene late in the film after he's been sacked when his loyal pupils say goodbye to him by standing like giants on their desks..

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/giants1.gif
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/dead-poets2_zpsa53981f8.jpg~original
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 09:11 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Quote:
I liked William's "Dead Poets Society' best

I used to really like that movie a lot, but it has not worn well with me. Now it seems sappy and superficial.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 10:01 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I suppose it's possible, but if I was on the verge of death (or suicide) I think my concerns would be an explanation to my loved ones, I'm not sure how much time I would devote on a note for fans. However, I don't have a fan base so I would worry about my family, not people I have served on committees or boards. Has any celebrity ever left a suicide note for only the fans? When George Saunders took his life, it was reported the note he left just said "I'm bored".

I don't know why but suicides seem sad to me, our local paper did a story yesterday about twin sisters very good in school, but for unexplained reasons one ended her life. At first I dreaded it would be an all too personal invasion into the family's privacy, but it was a thoughtful piece with advice on how to survive a suicide and the steps the surviving sister had to take to regain her
balance. In the article it stated that each suicide creates 6 wounded survivors.

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 10:21 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
A ranch that he tried to sell last year for 35 mil and could not move,
and has been listed since April for 30 mil and has not moved.
What?? I can t believe that his realty wud not draw $30,000.
That cant be right!
0 Replies

Buttermilk

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2014 02:05 am
Sad part about lal of this, is, from what I've read people are now looking into depression with the comorbidity of substance abuse. Now all of a sudden suicide is not some weakness to "escape" reality. With all due respect to the passing of Mr. Williams it shouldn't have to take an actor of his caliber for society to now understand that suicidal ideation is serious.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2014 02:24 am
@glitterbag,
Hawkeye is convinced he's right when he hardly ever is. Williams was suffering from depression, he was not a Norma Desmond character living in the past, nor did he have significant money worries.

It's not moping to say that depression should be taken more seriously, and we should keep an eye of those we care about who could be susceptible to it.

Yesterday one of the reptiles on Fox News called Williams a coward, not only is that an incredibly crass comment to make on the day of his death, it shows a complete ignorance of depression, which is a mental illness and causes harm. If someone who was feeling suicidal listened to that, they would be less likely to seek help for fear of being branded a coward, and subsequently more likely to commit suicide as a result.
Buttermilk

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2014 02:34 am
@izzythepush,
Exactly....

There are so many people that go through life with suicidal ideation and people don't realize that when you deal with hopelessness and a disregard for one's own life, it's not a weakness it's an inability to cope with life or the lacking of coping skills.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2014 04:22 am
@Germlat,
Germlat wrote:

When I was a kid I wanted to be her!!..even though a different generation...I thought she was beautiful, sexy, sophisticated.. I wanted to be her Laughing

"Beautiful, sexy, sophisticated" all describe her perfectly.

I think she would have liked, "...and one tough broad" also!

0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2014 05:18 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
... nor did he have significant money worries.

Actually, the evidence is proving more and more that his perception was that he had significant financial worries. Whether others besides him thought that was the case is irrelevant.