blatham

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 03:19 pm
@Germlat,
Calorie-free food?! Seems a fine reason not to be in a big hurry crossing over. Have you ever read Twain's "Letters from Earth"?
Germlat

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 03:25 pm
@blatham,
No...darn it. Reading cliffs notes now!! Wink
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 03:35 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Seems to me that "opting out" ought to be a reasonable and morally inoffensive way to dealing with "life."

I would much prefer to have the means of a peaceful and efficient end available to me if I choose to take that route...rather than some of the ways society seems to prefer.

I am reminded of the note (perhaps apocryphal) left by poet Richard Brautigan, who killed himself with a pistol shot to the head: "Messy, isn't it?"
Pistols jam a lot; unreliable.
Germlat

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 03:38 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Yep...seen people survive after firing a gun in their mouth....ouch.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 03:44 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

He hanged himself with a belt.

The end of the belt was wedged between a closet door and the door frame,
and he was found in a seated position, slightly suspended,
with the belt looped around his neck.

He had also made some superficial cuts on one wrist.
Does that sound like the accident
that befell David Carradine ??

( except for cuts on a wrist )
glitterbag

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 03:55 pm
@firefly,
I have to say I was shocked to hear he died, hearing the manner of death on television it's so desperately sad. It seems incomprehensible, especially for people who don't understand the dynamics of depression, but it's a much more serious problem than just not being able to shake off the blues.

My next door neighbor's killed himself in his parents basement. We all thought he was a happy kid, his mother has never been the same.

In 1978, a was recently assigned to a new branch, in the branch next to me were two people I knew by sight but not by name. It's more accurate to say three people. They all worked the same target, but at some point it became painfully obvious that one man was infatuated by a women who worked there. It seemed to be mutual. What I didn't know that the man and woman were married to other people, and the woman's husband worked with the two lovers. I didn't know the story until the suicide happened. Seems everyone knew, but they liked the husband and he had been so humiliated no one talked about it and the supervisors knew but no one counseled anyone on this affair. One morning the husband was several hours late, highly unusual but no one called for fear he would be too emotional to talk. Sadly, he killed himself at 11 in the morning and the paper on the kitchen table didn't arrive until 10 earlier.

DOD has a policy that if someone doesn't call in within 2 hours of arrival time, a phone call to the employee must be made. If they can be reached by phone, Security officers are dispatched to ascertain nothing is wrong. They didn't do it that day, because they thought they were cutting him a break. That's one rule that no one can ever make a judgement call. I have friends who have gotten sick and would have died if the security folks hadn't arrived.

I have other memories of suicides, I hope I never have to hear about one again.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 04:43 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
The end of the belt was wedged between a closet door and the door frame, and he was found in a seated position, slightly suspended, with the belt looped around his neck.

maybe. maybe not

Quote:
Robin Williams committed suicide by hanging himself with a belt from a bedroom door knob inside his Tiburon, Calif. home, Marin County Sheriff's Lt. Keith Boyd said Tuesday morning

Read more: http://www.ksbw.com/entertainment/watch-live-robin-williams-press-conference-held-by-marin-county-sheriff/27428232#ixzz3ADj47N2o

I must lead a sheltered life, cause it was not till a couple of months ago when someone else famous did it that I even knew that one could hang themselves by a doorknob. In the movies they always need to go high, on a chair, and then kick the chair.

Quote:
L'Wren Scott, a noted fashion designer who has been Mick Jagger's companion for more than a decade, was found dead in her New York apartment Monday of an apparent suicide, according to a law enforcement official familiar with the investigation. She was 49.
Scott's assistant found the designer hanging from a door knob with a scarf around her neck, the official said.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/17/showbiz/celebrity-news-gossip/lwren-scott-designer-obit/

Quote:
Boyd would not say whether Williams left a suicide note

natch
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 04:49 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
I have other memories of suicides, I hope I never have to hear about one again.

do you hope Peter Pan is real too?
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 04:56 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Does that sound like the accident
that befell David Carradine ??

( except for cuts on a wrist )

Carradine was not known for being a depressive, but he was a well known thrill seaker

Quote:
out calling him for the last several days and advise anybody who has been thinking about reaching out to a loved one to do so," said actor Michael Madsen, who worked with Carradine on "Kill Bill" and in the upcoming "Six Days in Paradise."

"I've just been told that possibly his hands were tied, in either the front or the back, and that there was something in his mouth, stuffed in his mouth, and that he used a rope that is used with the curtains," said friend David Winters

Carradine's Best-Known Roles: "Kung Fu" and "Kill Bill"

Carradine was perhaps best known for his role as Caine, a Chinese martial-arts master wandering the American West in the 1970s television series "Kung Fu." Though he had starred in more than 100 films, his career was most recently revived in Quentin Tarantino's "Kill Bill" (2003) and "Kill Bill II" (2004) in which he played a steely assassin.

The actor spoke openly about his earlier abuse of drugs and alcohol but had reportedly remained sober for several years. Friends and family said he had no history of depression

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/story?id=7763422
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 04:59 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
The end of the belt was wedged between a closet door
and the door frame, and he was found in a seated position,
slightly suspended, with the belt looped around his neck.

hawkeye10 wrote:

maybe. maybe not

Quote:
Robin Williams committed suicide by hanging himself with a belt
from a bedroom door knob inside his Tiburon, Calif. home, Marin County Sheriff's Lt. Keith Boyd said Tuesday morning

Read more: http://www.ksbw.com/entertainment/watch-live-robin-williams-press-conference-held-by-marin-county-sheriff/27428232#ixzz3ADj47N2o

I must lead a sheltered life, cause it was not till a couple of months ago when someone else famous did it that I even knew that one could hang themselves by a doorknob. In the movies they always need to go high, on a chair, and then kick the chair.
That is paradigmatic.
It seems less likely that he decided
to slowly strangle himself.

Quote:
L'Wren Scott, a noted fashion designer who has been Mick Jagger's companion for more than a decade, was found dead in her New York apartment Monday of an apparent suicide, according to a law enforcement official familiar with the investigation. She was 49.
Scott's assistant found the designer hanging from a door knob with a scarf around her neck, the official said.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/17/showbiz/celebrity-news-gossip/lwren-scott-designer-obit/

Quote:
Boyd would not say whether Williams left a suicide note

Quote:
natch
WHATAYAMEAN??
U think that withholding information serves a good purpose ?
glitterbag

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 05:03 pm
@hawkeye10,
Memories of a fictional character are usually pleasant. Remembering the details of suicides or children's funerals not so much. Nobody gets out of here alive, and some people are missed when they go.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 05:23 pm

Pam Dawber has been unlucky in regard to her fellow thespians;
first Rebecca Schaeffer and now this.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 05:35 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
WHATAYAMEAN??

My opinion of the constant efforts of the state to use deception and strategic secrecy towards the efforts of manipulating us citizens into the behavior that it wants to see is well know. " Natch" was intended to be sarcastic.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 06:17 pm
Just saw Lauren Bacall died today. Aged 89.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 06:19 pm
@edgarblythe,
I didn't see that yet, she was so beautiful.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 06:26 pm
@edgarblythe,
I have always enjoyed her movies. Another sad day, but at least she lived a pretty long life.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 06:26 pm
@hawkeye10,
DAVID wrote:
WHATAYAMEAN??

hawkeye10 wrote:
My opinion of the constant efforts of the state to use deception
and strategic secrecy towards the efforts of manipulating us citizens
into the behavior that it wants to see is well know. " Natch" was intended to be sarcastic.
U r a nice guy and all,
but I 'm not gonna get paranoid enuf to believe
that the guys who send black helicopters
are (thru a county sheriff) manipulating the suicide reports
of a known clinically depressed entertainer for political purposes.

I don t live in that world.

David
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 06:56 pm
Unexpected shocking and very sad news today. Our world just got a lot more poorer. We lost an irreplaceable talent and a great human being. Rest in peace dear Robin !
Germlat

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 07:11 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
I'm with ya Fil!!!
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 07:13 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I'm not sure it serves any useful purpose to publish a suicide note. I understand many enjoyed his talent, it just that his fans are not next of kin, we really don't need to know.