More American War in Iraq?

JTT

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2014 11:56 am
@Baldimo,
The USA invaded Korea hoping to replace the Japanese as the rapists and pillagers of that land, just as the USA has done the world over.

Do you see the Chinese occupying Vietnam or Korea? Now ask yourself the same question about the USA, Baldimo.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2014 12:44 pm
@BillRM,
There needs to be a sarcasm font.

I would have thought that it was clear that the italicized text in my post was intended to be a parody of the arguments made by those who disagree with you.

Obviously not.

Duly noted.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2014 12:49 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Believe it or not, I read somewhere that it is believed that Assad has actually shared some of the funding he has received from Iran with ISIS, at the request (order?) of Iran. What's in it for Assad is the ability to cast all the Syrian rebels as "terrorists."

The sad thing is that in the Byzantine sphere of Middle Eastern regional politics, this may actually be the case.

The enemy of my enemy... gets a real workout over there.
JTT

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2014 12:52 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
There needs to be a delusional font, Finn, 'cause there sure are a lot of you that just can't seem to face up to reality.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2014 12:52 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Believe it or not, I read somewhere that it is believed that Assad has actually shared some of the funding he has received from Iran with ISIS, at the request (order?) of Iran.
Might be - the Shia–Sunni relations are perhaps more difficult for us to understand than they are in reality.
JTT

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2014 12:56 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
The enemy of my enemy... gets a real workout over there.

You're being terribly hypocritical, Finn.
JTT

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2014 01:05 pm
@JTT,
I guess pointing out that USians are terribly hypocritical is pointing out the obvious to some.

Sadly USians don't realize it, being so incredibly self absorbed.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2014 01:42 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
oralloy wrote:
EDIT: I'm presuming you mean "Syria under Assad".

I mean Syria, since they are doing the bombing (the Syrian airforce)
And Iran is active as well.

Syria is not doing the bombing. People who are loyal to Assad are doing the bombing.

The Free Syrian Army are the group which legitimately speaks for Syria.
oralloy

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2014 01:43 pm
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:
People say we are suppose to learn from history, yet it seems no one really does. One of the main stated reasons of why we were attacked was because we keep interfering in that part of the world.

This needs a lot more context.

The people who attacked us want to conquer the entire world, commit genocide against all non-Muslims, abolish freedom and democracy, and make it a capital offense to teach a woman to read.

The "interference" that they object to is their expectation that we would act to prevent them from conquering the world and implementing their diabolical plans.

Their hopes were that their attack would intimidate us into isolationism as they then conquered the world beyond our borders.

All in all, it wasn't too far different from what Imperial Japan hoped to achieve at Pearl Harbor. And it backfired just as badly.

revelette2 wrote:
I am not saying we should never have any involvement, but, we have got to quit thinking the US knows the best way all the time.

How exactly are we thinking that the US knows the best way? When we say that freedom and democracy is preferable to a brutal dictatorship?

revelette2 wrote:
We don't have to occupy countries to protect ourselves from terrorist nor do we just ignore things hoping it will go away. I don't claim to know all the answers but we live in a modern world full of technological advances. If we do not keep ticking off our allies, we can keep working with together to fight terrorist, plus finding ways to solve problems so that more terrorist are not created.

The solution to terrorism is dronestrikes and detention at the Guantanamo POW camp.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2014 01:44 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Believe it or not, I read somewhere that it is believed that Assad has actually shared some of the funding he has received from Iran with ISIS, at the request (order?) of Iran.

Might be - the Shia–Sunni relations are perhaps more difficult for us to understand than they are in reality.

Not difficult to understand. Assad deliberately welcomed ISIL into Syria so that the West would see Assad as the lesser of two evils, and would decide to ignore his horrific atrocities and accept his staying in power in exchange for his aid in wiping out ISIL.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2014 02:17 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
Do you see the Chinese occupying Vietnam or Korea? Now ask yourself the same question about the USA, Baldimo.

Good question.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2014 02:27 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Syria is not doing the bombing. People who are loyal to Assad are doing the bombing.

What's known as "distinction without difference".

Quote:
The Free Syrian Army are the group which legitimately speaks for Syria.

How do you figure? Who elected them? One of the reasons the US lobbied Assad to hold an election was to transfer his legitimacy to another faction. The US even holds Assad as the legitimate government. He's who the US talked with to get Assad to get rid of his chemical weapons. Like it or not, regardless of whether the FSA pisses gasoline and shits gold and sing in boy bands or not, Assad is the legitimate government of Syria.

Here's what CIA says: https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/sy.html

Executive branch:

chief of state: President Bashar al-ASAD (since 17 July 2000); Vice President Farouk al-SHARA (since 21 February 2006); Vice President Najah al-ATTAR (since 23 March 2006)
head of government: Prime Minister Wael al-HALQI (since 9 August 2012); Deputy Prime Ministers Fahd Jasim al-FURAYJ, Lt. Gen. Walid al-MUALEM
cabinet: Council of Ministers appointed by the president; note - new Council appointed on 14 April 2011
(For more information visit the World Leaders website Opens in New Window)
elections: president approved by popular referendum (the 2012 constitution allows for two successive 7-year terms); referendum last held in 3 June 2014 (next to be held in June 2021); the president appoints the vice presidents, prime minister, and deputy prime ministers
election results: Bashar al-ASAD approved as president; percent of vote - Bashar al-ASAD 88.7%, Hassan al-NOURI 4.3%, Maher HAJJER 3.2%, other/invalid 3.8%
Legislative branch:

unicameral People's Assembly or Majlis al-Shaab (250 seats; members elected by popular vote to serve four-year terms)
elections: last held on 7 May 2012 (next to be held in 2016)
election results: percent of vote by party - NA; seats by party - NA

Unless, you of course know better.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2014 02:30 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Who do we occupy now? We are no longer in Iraq and the only place that could be considered an occupation would be Afghanistan.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2014 02:31 pm
@oralloy,
Don't completely agree with this, but it is about as perceptive, and discussion furthering a thing as you've ever said. More please.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2014 02:32 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Not difficult to understand. Assad deliberately welcomed ISIL into Syria so that the West would see Assad as the lesser of two evils, and would decide to ignore his horrific atrocities and accept his staying in power in exchange for his aid in wiping out ISIL.

Which is precisely what I indicated the source of the information said.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2014 02:53 pm
All those ludicrous coalitions are similar to the situation in the 30-year war -with modern weapons, though.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2014 02:54 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Scary, isn't it?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2014 03:02 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

Quote:

Good question.

How so?

It's a non-sequitur.

It is in response to a comment by Baldimo that the Chinese and North Koreans were doing their fair share of killing during the Korean War. A comment of the sort that JTT very typically never acknowledges or answers.

The US isn't occupying either Vietnam or Korea (South or North) although I'm sure JTT would argue that the 28,500 American soldiers, marines, sailors and airmen stationed in the South, to prevent an invasion by the North, constitute an occupying army.

While there is no doubt a fair number of children fathered by Americans in both Vietnam and South Korea who suffer the prejudices of their respective societies and have the irresponsible behavior of American personnel to thank, they are a tiny fraction of the more than 1 million ethnic Chinese living in Vietnam and roughly 500,000 in South Korea.

The latter are the product of immigration since the late 1800's, but as for the former, Chinese settled in Vietnam, in part, thanks to four separate conquests of the area by the Chinese, known as the Chinese Dominations, over the course of about 1,500 years. No one would now call them an occupying army, but it's not as if their ancestors were invited in to visit and decided to stay because of the lovely scenery.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2014 03:11 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
... but as for the former, Chinese settled in Vietnam, in part, thanks to four separate conquests of the area by the Chinese, known as the Chinese Dominations, over the course of about 1,500 years. No one would now call them an occupying army, but it's not as if their ancestors were invited in to visit and decided to stay because of the lovely scenery.
Actually a bit earlier already, namely since the era of Warring States (about 450 /200 BC depending on what book you prefer).
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2014 03:35 pm
http://0.tqn.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/-/D/3/bush-little-secret.jpg
0 Replies