Bergdahl Prisoner Swap:Obama Obeys ONLY the Laws He Wants To.

coldjoint

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2014 03:26 pm
@parados,
Quote:
That's funny since I can find news stories from Wednesday and it wasn't the administration leaking the stories.

Isn't that a surprise. http://www.acidpulse.net/images/smilies/rofl1.gif

How about this one?

Quote:
Feinstein: I don’t think there was a credible threat on Bergdahl’s life from the Taliban

http://therightscoop.com/feinstein-i-dont-think-there-was-a-credible-threat-on-bergdahls-life-from-the-taliban/
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2014 04:07 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
In further research I found several news stories from Sunday that states the administration claimed the need to avoid leaks about the negotiations justified not telling Congress. It sounds to me like that is the same story they are telling now. It's just you know the reason why they needed the secrecy.
Advocate

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2014 04:11 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
But you know that Reagan was a senile puppet for Nancy and his controllers. Obama is an Einstein compared to Reagan.
parados

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2014 04:12 pm
@coldjoint,
The Pink Prevaricator wrote:

You haven't noticed that every talking point is covered instantly with some obscure law or reason and sources. It is too readily at his fingertips not to have a direct program plugged into progressive think tanks.

It's called the internet, Pinkie. All laws are available online if you have the ability to think and do your own research.

Let me give you some hints about where to do research.

All laws and congressional actions can be found here. You can even search for phrases.
http://thomas.loc.gov/home/thomas.php

This will get you to online state statutes
http://www.law.cornell.edu/states/listing

The Pink Prevaricator wrote:

What is important that the progressive message cannot stand up without devious and subversive actions.

Leave it to you to refer to the actual law as devious and subversive. You clearly can't think for yourself.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2014 04:13 pm
@Advocate,
Advocate wrote:
But you know that Reagan was a senile puppet for Nancy and his controllers.
Obama is an Einstein compared to Reagan.
I dismiss your stupidity out-of-hand.

David
parados

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2014 04:18 pm
@coldjoint,
Another example of how you can't do your own research or think for yourself, Pinkie. You post things without bothering to do even basic research to see if they are true.

Quote:

(e) Article 105—Misconduct As A Prisoner

Max possible sentence life in prison

There is no way Berghdahl can be charged with a violation of Article 105. You would need to read and understand Article 105 of the UCMJ to understand why.

Here is a link to it.
http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/mcm/bl105.htm
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2014 04:50 pm
@parados,
If you can't see the clear difference about what they originally asserted and what they are now asserting in terms of why they could not comply with the law and notify congress, I doubt I'm going to improve your vision.

They didn't comply with the law by notifying congress in advance of the deal. Nonsense about calling a discussion with the Senate Intelligence Committee in 2011 prior notification has been essentially called just that by none other than that noted right-winger and Obama Hater, Jay Rockefeller.

The excuse they offered was that they didn't have time because Bergdahl's health was at a critical state. Perhaps they threw in a few comments about leaks to play off the public's belief that congress is a sieve when it comes to secrets, but clearly the primary reason given was his health. Again if you won't accept this, I can't make you.

Thereafter they met with congress in a closed door session to offer proof of why they had to circumvent the law. Listen to the comments made by Republican and Democrat members of congress after that meeting. The proof was laughable. The Proof of Life video did not provide a convincing picture of a man in critical health, and it was provided to the Administration four months prior to the deal being executed. No one was buying their story and how could they? The White House could take four months to execute on the deal, but they didn't have the time to notify congress. Obviously the White House didn't expect Democrats to be pissed off about the deal and they figured the media would help them spin a story of "phony scandals" if only Republicans called them out on the timeline, let alone the unconvincing evidence of Bergdahl's poor health.Their arrogance got them in a pickle.

It didn't help at all that the Taliban's video failed to show a prisoner anywhere close to Death's door at the time of the exchange. What to do?
Change the story, that's what.

Yesterday, the White House's reason for not complying with the law requiring notification of congress was changed to "We couldn't trust you not to leak the deal, and the Taliban threatened to kill Bergdahl if the deal went public." This new explanation is not the same thing as prior general and unspecified references to concern about leaks, it is the new official reason for why they had to break the law.

I have already explained why this new explanation is as pathetic as the first one, maybe even more so.

They thought this was going to be a triumphant story, one that would improve Obama's image with veterans, and divert attention from the VA scandal. The Rose Garden ceremony, the "served with honor & distinction" comment were intended to serve a narrative that Obama kept faith the soliders in Afghanistan and brought a sympathetic hero home after a grueling fiver years in captivity which resulted in such poor health that they had to act with resolve and immediacy and checking with those pesky congressmen be damned. People in the Administration and like you chimed in with "How would the president's critics have reacted if he didn't act like a forceful leader, delayed the exchange to get beat up by congressional Republicans, and the soldier who served with "honor & distinction" died in captivity due to his critical health issues? They would have crucified him!"

And maybe that is what would have happened if there was any possibility that it could have occurred, but there wasn't. If Bergdahl was in such dire health straits that forceful leader Obama didn't have time to notify congress, then he wouldn't have lived through the four months that followed their supposed recognition of his condition.

At the very best this is the tale of an inept and arrogant White House, and they have certainly not given anyone reason to think otherwise since the tale first began to be told.

They were blindsided by Feinstein's criticism (although for the life of me I can't figure out how these political "geniuses" did not either see that coming or planned for it) and they were even more surprised by the public statements made by the men who served with Bergdahl. So what's their plan for dealing with these guys? Attack them.

It's sickening but I'm sure you disagree first of all that they are attacking them and secondly that they don't deserve to be attacked.

Coldjoint keeps saying that either you are paid to post these comments or that you are plugged into the Obama talking point machine. I doubt this, but if that's the case whatever they're paying you is too much and whatever support they're giving you is not enough.
coldjoint

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2014 08:27 pm
@parados,
Quote:
Leave it to you to refer to the actual law as devious and subversive. You clearly can't think for yourself.

Leave it to you and politicians to twist those laws into subversive tools. You aint fooling no one. You are up to ears in the scumpeddling progressive bullshit.
coldjoint

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2014 08:33 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Coldjoint keeps saying that either you are paid to post these comments or that you are plugged into the Obama talking point machine. I doubt this, but if that's the case whatever they're paying you is too much and whatever support they're giving you is not enough.

Again, he has not denied it. And you also know they(Obama bots) are not all that competent and have demonstrated money means nothing.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2014 08:37 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:

Leave it to you and politicians to twist those laws into subversive tools. You aint fooling no one. You are up to ears in the scumpeddling progressive bullshit.

Every political agenda group has shown a great willingness to subvert our nations institutions and systems to their cause if they have the power to do so. Just look at my multi-year rant on what the feminists have gotten away with, but everyone does it.

All is fair in love and war, and this is considered war, on their own countrymen. Dont pretend that the right is any better.
coldjoint

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2014 08:44 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Dont pretend that the right is any better.

Don't think I ever had said the right is better. They have better economic policies and don't concern themselves with social matters. The fact that they are corrupt is a gimme.

There are honest people out there. They just don't want to run because of the system. So any glimmer of possible adherence to our Constitution and enforcing it is alluring.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2014 08:49 pm
Quote:
Official: Bergdahl Details
Don’t Add Up

Quote:
June 6, 2014 4:35 pm

Reported details of the high-profile prisoner swap that freed Bowe Bergdahl over the weekend are not telling the full story, according to a high-level intelligence official involved in efforts to find and rescue the Army sergeant.

The Haqqani Network, a terrorist group operating in Afghanistan and Pakistan, freed Bergdahl on Saturday after holding him captive for five years in exchange for the release of five Guantanamo Bay prison inmates.

A senior intelligence official with intimate knowledge of the years-long effort to locate and rescue Bergdahl told the Washington Free Beacon that the details of that exchange do not add up.

The official, who requested anonymity because he is not authorized to speak to the press, speculated that a cash ransom was paid to the Haqqani Network to get the group to free the prisoner.

The Obama administration reportedly considered offering cash for his release as late as December 2013. The State Department has repeatedly refused to say whether the deal that released Bergdahl involved any cash payment.

The ransom plan was reportedly abandoned, but the intelligence official insisted that there is reason to believe that cash changed hands as part of the deal.

“The Haqqanis could give a rat’s ass about prisoners,” the official said, referring to the Haqqani Network, a designated terrorist group in Afghanistan and Pakistan, and the five Guantanamo Bay prisoners who were freed in exchange for Bergdahl’s release.

“The people that are holding Bergdahl want[ed] cash and someone paid it to them,” he said.

The theory relies in large measure on a distinction that has been lost in much of the press coverage of the Bergdahl deal. A number of news reports on the circumstances surrounding the prisoner exchange have used “Haqqani” and “Taliban” interchangeably.

Experts say that obscures very real differences between the two groups that are key to understanding the deal that freed Bergdahl.

The Taliban is an ideologically committed group, they say, while the Haqqani Network is better understood as a tribal crime syndicate using unrest in the region not to advance an Islamist agenda but to further own financial and political interests.

“When Westerners talk [about the] Taliban, we tend to use it as a generic term,” said American Enterprise Institute scholar Michael Rubin, a former Middle East advisor to Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld. “Afghans are more likely to talk about the Haqqani Network versus the Quetta Shura [also known as the Afghan Taliban] versus the Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan.”

Four of the five prisoners released from Guantanamo were top Taliban commanders. One western diplomat said their release was “like moving the whole Quetta Shura to Qatar.”

Only one of the freed terrorists, Nabi Omari, was part of the Haqqani Network. But the presence of other more senior Haqqani prisoners at Guantanamo has observers wondering whether the network’s goal in the exchange was actually the release of Gitmo prisoners.

“One of these things doesn’t belong,” the intelligence official said. “If you were to put one of these [freed Taliban prisoners] with Haqqani in a room together, they’d beat the **** out of each other.”

He compared the relationship between the two groups to two sports teams. “You’ve got two teams that both do the same thing but their players are different in how they function,” he explained. “Why would the Redskins pay for a draft pick that goes to the Miami Dolphins? They wouldn’t.”

The official cited his work over the course of a decade dealing with hostage situations in Afghanistan and Pakistan.

Haqqani, he said, “benefits zero from the prisoner exchange. … Based on 10 years of working with those guys, the only thing that would make them move Bergdahl is money.”

The official is not the first to suggest that a ransom was likely paid. Oliver North, who was involved in the Iran-Contra scandal that freed American hostages in Tehran in exchange for the sale of American weapons to Iran, insisted on Wednesday that cash changed hands.

“Whether the Qataris paid it, or some big oil sheik, or somebody used our petrodollars, there was a ransom paid in cash for each one of them, my guess somewhere in the round numbers of $5 or 6 million to get Bergdahl freed,” North told Newsmax.

Rubin agreed with the assessment, again citing the distinction between the Taliban and the Haqqani Network.

“The groups do have links, but if Bergdahl was held by Haqqani and we released Quetta Shura, it seems Bergdahl’s captors were seeking something other than the Taliban prisoners, got paid off, and Obama simply used the trade as an excuse to release master terrorists from Gitmo,” Rubin said.

The theory has not been confirmed—though State has yet to deny it either—but the senior intelligence official expressed concern that the United States may have “enriched a terrorist network.”

“We just funded them for the next 10 years is my guess,” he said.

If this is true, Obama has committed treason.
http://freebeacon.com/national-security/experts-say-cash-ransom-may-have-been-paid-for-bergdahl/
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2014 09:57 pm
@coldjoint,
I've read somewhere that originally Bergdahl's captors only wanted cash, but I don't know if that has been substantiated.

I can imagine that cash was paid in addition to the release of the Taliban prisoners, but it's truly only pure speculation at this point to suggest that all they wanted was cash, and Obama made them take the Taliban prisoners too.

Not that I'm absolutely convinced that this didn't happen but Rubin and the anonymous intelligence officer only offer a possibility based on speculation. I would have to see a hell of a lot more evidence before I thought this theory had any legs.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2014 10:07 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
I've read somewhere that originally Bergdahl's captors only wanted cash, but I don't know if that has been substantiated.

I think the story is that the Taliban was demanding cash to make this more clearly a hostage/ransom trade, but that Obama would not go that far.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2014 10:09 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Advocate wrote:
But you know that Reagan was a senile puppet for Nancy and his controllers.
Obama is an Einstein compared to Reagan.
I dismiss your stupidity out-of-hand.

David

Your ignorance is profound. Early in his first term, Reagan told the Israeli PM about how he helped liberate a concentration camp in WWII. The only problem with this is that Reagan never left the USA during the war. In the Iran-Contra scandal, Reagan was forced to make an oral statement about his involvement. The statement was very sad and showed profound senility.
coldjoint

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2014 10:13 pm
@Advocate,
Quote:
Early in his first term, Reagan told the Israeli PM about how he helped liberate a concentration camp in WWII.

You must be senile to post that without a source.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2014 10:59 pm
Best talking points for Team Obama: "Hey, give us some credit, at least we did not give the Taliban cash for this deserter!"
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2014 11:57 pm
@coldjoint,
Here are two sources discussing the matter of Reagan and the concentration camp

One Goes, perhaps too far in attempting to deny it

The other
Goes too far in attributing it to senility

It isn't enough for Advocate to accuse Reagan of making the story up he needs to attribute it to senility.

Partisan attacks are par for the course. Every President is subject to them and a lot of them are downright vicious. Reagan was especially good at shrugging them off, but all presidents receive them. Their supporters deny them and their detractors swear by them. It's ugly but it's the way it's always been.

However in 2008 partisan attacks were not simply part of the seedy game of politics they were, if not flat out racist rants, definitive proof of racism. And what's more, so is any criticism of president Obama. Conservative don't simply disagree with Obama's policies, they hate him because he is black. For many of his supporters (some in this very forum) I'm sure that somehow any and all criticism of the Bergdahl deal is racist

Calling him arrogant is racist, because as we all know, that's just code for "uppity"

Jibing him for playing golf with Tiger Woods instead of working at being president was racist (according to Loony Lawrence O'Donnell) because Tiger Woods was involved in a sex scandal and as we all know, racists think that black men are oversexed, and therefore Obama was being tarred (Oh Lord, did I just let my own racism slip?) with the over-sexed Mandingo Warrior brush.

Associating him with Chicago was racist!

Brilliant statesman Bernie Thompson of Mississippi (the one who called Justice Clarence Thomas an "Uncle Tom.") claimed "Republicans are only anti-big government and anti-Obamacare because President Obama is black."

He also had this gem:

“That Mitch McConnell would have the audacity to tell the president of the United States — not the chief executive, but the commander-in-chief — that ‘I don’t care what you come up with we’re going to be against it.’ Now if that’s not a racist statement I don’t know what is.”

Jibes related to the Obama selfies at Mandela's funeral were met with: "...it’s a confluence of racist and sexist stereotypes, as if Michelle is this angry black woman, as if President Obama is this oversexed black man…”

Chris Matthews who is at least entertaining in the bizarre ways in which he detects racism said in the context of Chris Christie's Hurricane Sandy bear-hug of Obama that it was something you would ever see many Republicans do because so many are uncomfortable with physical contact with a black man.

The examples are legion and there are too many to include them all here, but so are the example of truly vicious and insulting comments made against each and every president. Some can take it better than others.

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2014 03:05 am

NY Daily News:
Obama Surrendered To Taliban Without Honor

BY STEVE STRAUB ON JUNE 4, 2014

President Obama betrayed the highest obligation of his office —
safeguarding national security — in trading five hard-core Taliban
for the American serviceman who appears to have deserted in Afghanistan.

The five sworn enemies of the United States are now in the Gulf state
of Qatar, where they are free to come and go as they like, beyond the
watch of American agents. In just one year, they will be free to return
to Afghanistan to fight there and stage terror attacks far beyond that
country’s borders.

These facts were known to Obama when he made the deal, and yet
he went ahead in irresponsible disregard for lives he has endangered.
As the facts have emerged — and more surely will — it has become
ever clearer that he lost his presidential compass in the Taliban swap.

Obama provided insight into the actual reason for the deal by placing
it in the context of his drive to pull out of Afghanistan.

“This is what happens at the end of wars,” Obama said. “That was
true for George Washington; that was true for Abraham Lincoln;
that was true for FDR; that’s been true of every combat situation —
that at some point, you make sure that you try to get your folks back.”

In other words, he wants out so badly that he accepted the Taliban’s terms,
regardless of the threat to American security.

He is surrendering without honor.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2014 05:44 am
Quote:
In a memorandum prepared in January 2002, then-Secretary of State Colin Powell wrestled with the distinction between members of Al-Qaeda and the Taliban when it came to applying the terms of the Geneva Convention on the treatment of prisoners of war. On the first part of that issue—could Al-Qaeda be seen as qualifying for prisoner of war status?—Powell was absolute: no. Members of that group were solely terrorists, a criminal element with no lawful connection to the rules of the international community. On the other hand, he wrote, the status of the Taliban was much more complex, and their potential designation as prisoners of war would have to be determined on a case by case basis. This stemmed from the different roles of the two groups: Al-Qaeda, whatever its role inside Afghanistan, could not be deemed a legitimate government.

By making this distinction—a position ultimately adopted by Bush—then the United States would be preserving its ability to credibly declare captured American soldiers to be prisoners of war. The recommendation, Powell wrote, “maintains POW status for U.S. forces…and generally supports the U.S. objective of ensuring its forces are accorded protection under the [Geneva] Conventions.”

So, the American government believes that its actions have given it the legitimate right to claim that its soldiers captured by the Taliban, as Bergdahl was, to be prisoners of war. Prisoner exchanges are negotiated on an ad hoc basis in wartime, but the most familiar context of deals struck between governments is not available in the Afghan war. Without allowing for negotiations with the Taliban, all captured American forces would immediately be sent down a legal black hole under which no means exists—other than the commitment of more soldiers in what might prove to be a fruitless rescue attempt—for their rescue. (The fact that six soldiers had already died in efforts to find Bergdahl does, however, raise the question of how many American servicemen have to lose their lives because of legal complexities created by this nature of warfare.)

source
0 Replies