Bergdahl Prisoner Swap:Obama Obeys ONLY the Laws He Wants To.

Miller

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 11:20 am
Supposedly, Bergdahl left his gun, left his post ( wherever that was ) and wandered off into the forrest into the arms of the enemy.

Anybody know why he did so? After 5 years, there has to be some sort of explanation.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 11:21 am
An M-16 does not weigh much.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 11:26 am
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

We should be concentrating on the fact that the Taliban got five killers released for one American deserter.

No way! If it had been your son, you'd be singing a different song. We should be concentrating on the fact that Bergdahl was AWOL!
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 11:30 am
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

coldjoint wrote:

We should be concentrating on the fact that the Taliban got five killers released for one American deserter.

No way! If it had been your son, you'd be singing a different song.
We should be concentrating on the fact that Bergdahl was AWOL!
Did thay say if he will be court-martialed ?
Maybe obama will give him a pardon in the Rose Garden.

I wonder if he is a Moslem. WHO has his loyalty????

Those questions apply to Sgt. Bowe, also.

David
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 11:53 am
@parados,
Parados, it fellow servicemen are saying he deserted his post. He packed his things and left. He wasn't taken, he walked into their arms. This is all first hand accounts from his fellow soldiers who were there when he left. They just about all say he was talking of leaving and asking questions about what would happen if some of his "equipment" went missing.

There is something fishy going on with this case.
parados

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 12:40 pm
@Baldimo,
Only last week, conservatives were applauding the West Pointers that didn't stand for Obama. The only thing I am seeing here are people willing to spin everything to try to make Obama look bad. Party before country to the point of being disgusting.
georgeob1

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 12:50 pm
@parados,
Obama is doing quite well enough himself in making his Presidency look like the disaster it has become. When you have descended to the point of accusing your critics of a lack of patriotism there isn't much left to say.
Baldimo

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 12:52 pm
@parados,
I didn't even mention Obama in my post. Don't point out the GOP, I was sharing information from news accounts by soldiers who were there. No party politics are at play with my post.

An American is home. His battle buddies have some issues with how he "disappeared". That is all.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 12:55 pm
@georgeob1,
When people start claiming a soldier held by the enemy isn't worthy of return, then there isn't much else to say. You can call it lack of patriotism if you want. I call it disgusting.
Baldimo

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 01:02 pm
@parados,
What do you have to say if it turns out this guy was a traitor? Left his post to help the enemy? Can you still say others have a lack of patriotism or would Bergdahl have a lack of patriotism?

Like I have said, you should read the reports and stories of people who were deployed by him. That will give you a better account of what happened 5 years ago.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 01:10 pm
if the allegations are true this guy needs to be on charges. And what about POPS, who ever thought getting up on stage with a guy who looks like a terrorist, who it is believed has supported the terrorists, was a good idea?

The decision making systems at the Obama White House are not functioning well, this much is clear.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 01:15 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

When people start claiming a soldier held by the enemy isn't worthy of return, then there isn't much else to say. You can call it lack of patriotism if you want. I call it disgusting.

IF he deserted then we should try to get him back so that we can put him in a jail cell, but I would not be in favor of risking lives to do it.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 01:23 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

I believe you are distorting the central issue here , which involves the wisdom of rewarding terrorists for their outrages. How many al quaeda terrorists did Obama release in this transaction? What will be the consequences of that? Just a year ago Obama was quick to claim that al quaeda was unravelling. Now he is trying to bribe them to "negotiate" with us.

We can all see our glorious leader's track record in such "negotiations" with the results of our wussy idiot-in-chief's earlier efforts in Egypt, Lybia, Syria and currently Iran.

The most contemptible part of this is the likelihood that the timing of all this was just an effort to divert the media's attention from the VA's venality and incompetence (one here could add that go GSA, Health and Human Services, and the "Justice" Department.

It appears there is no level to which you will not stoop in rationalizing the contemptible behavior of your political hero.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 01:23 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
Only last week, conservatives were applauding the West Pointers that didn't stand for Obama. The only thing I am seeing here are people willing to spin everything to try to make Obama look bad. Party before country to the point of being disgusting.
U choose to answer Mr. Baldimo's facts by brandishing your EMOTIONS.

I guess that 's the best u can do.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 01:28 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
if the allegations are true this guy needs to be on charges.
No. HE does not need that. (Needs are like oxygen, water, food, sleep etc.),
but if he deserted, then WE NEED to criminally prosecute him.

David
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 01:33 pm
@georgeob1,
And there we have it folks. Be disgusted by how the conservatives here put their own partisanship above US soldiers.

How quickly can they turn the missing but now returned soldier into a traitor?
How quickly can they turn Obama into a devil that releases terrorists without cause?
How quickly can they turn Afghani Taliban into Al Qaueda?
But it's not them doing anything. They are only reporting the "truth".
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 01:37 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:

The most contemptible part of this is the likelihood that the timing of all this was just an effort to divert the media's attention from the VA's venality and incompetence (one here could add that go GSA, Health and Human Services, and the "Justice" Department.
Because getting up on stage next to a guy who looks like a terrorist and who has said some very anti-american things to announce that you have traded five high level Taliban for his deserting ashamed to be an American kid, and we are going to find out within the hour that you broke the law to do it......this is such a great diversion. Drunk
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 01:38 pm
@revelette2,
Quote:
Sgt. Bergdahl was not a hostage but a prisoner of war taken off the battlefield and the negotiations were with Qatar (not terrorist) who will hold the prisoners for another year.

It has been pretty well substantiated that Bergdahl was not captured on the battlefield, but went AWOL and either sought out the Taliban or was found by him. I don't agree that this is a reason for him to rot in Taliban captivity, but it's not unreasonable to suggest it should have been considered in the decision to release five high risk detainees in exchange for him.

Quote:
Moreover, congress has known the negotiations were underway,

So says Susan Rice who also insisted the Benghazi assault was the result of an anti-Muslim video. Congressman McKeon refuted Rice's assertion, so it is really a matter of who is telling the truth as opposed to a settled fact.

Quote:
..and his health required urgency.

Bergdahl was flown to Landstuhl Regional Medical Center in Germany where he is reported to be in "stable" condition. This doesn't tell us much, since an approved condition term "Good" "Fair," "Serious," or "Critical," was not used or provided. I suspect it is a case of the latter and Bergdahl is either in "Good" or "Fair" condition but revealing that would call into question the assertion that he was on death's door. Of course this is only a suspicion based on this Administration's cavalier treatment of the truth. Time will tell.

Quote:
Given all of that, I am not sure what law Obama violated. They knew about the negotiations, I don't think there has to be a vote on it before the President can act on it.

He violated the one that requires him to notify congress of the release of a detainee at least 30 days prior to that release. It's pretty simple.

Even if congress had been told that the Administration was in negotiations with the Taliban (the argument that it was in negotiations with Qatar is legal gymnastics) months before the release, the law was not complied with. You'll note that Rice didn't claim that congress was given the identities of the detainees who were to be part of the deal. Besides if congress did anything based on the report of negotiations alone the Administration would have been clamoring that they interfered with or scuttled the negotiations.

There is no provision in the law that congress must approve of the release and so Obama could have complied and then gone through with the deal in 30 days regardless of whatever objections members of congress might express. It's true that any objections made public might have scuttled the deal, but again, the president shouldn't get to flaunt a law because of a, arguably, cynical prediction.

The law was enacted because a sufficient number of the members of congress didn't believe this Administration could be trusted to release detainees without some oversight. Whether or not their mistrust was unfounded or an insult to the president is beside the point. The law was passed and Obama signed it. To be fair it was an amendment inserted in a Defense Dept appropriations bill and so it's not quite as straight forward a piece of legislation as some might suggest, but this is the way both parties get things written into law, and it wasn't snuck by the Democrats or the president.

If Obama signed the bill into law with every intent to ignore this provision, he was acting in bad faith.

Either the system has to be reformed to prevent legislation by amendment (unlikely to ever happen) or the president needs to veto bills he believes contain provisions with which he cannot or will not comply. Neither he nor any other president should feel they have the right to ignore a law.

If you or I ignore a law because we think it is unconstitutional or simply unjust we won't get very far with that as an article of our defense, and if we do it as an act of civil disobedience we should be cognizant of and willing to suffer the consequences.

0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 01:39 pm
@parados,
Parados have you read the words that have been written by his fellow soldiers that were there?

Never mind that the article came from dailybeast, it was written by someone from that unit. Read it please.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/06/02/we-lost-soldiers-in-the-hunt-for-bergdahl-a-guy-who-walked-off-in-the-dead-of-night.html?utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=cheatsheet_morning&cid=newsletter%3Bemail%3Bcheatsheet_morning&utm_term=Cheat+Sheet
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 01:41 pm
@parados,
Quote:
How quickly can they turn the missing soldier into a traitor?

You mean how quickly a soldier can turn into a traitor. Republicans are only acknowledging facts.

Quote:
How quickly can they turn Obama into a devil

Obama has done all this damage to himself, and depends on shills to defend his undoubtedly anti-American agenda.

Traitor is too nice of a word to apply to you or Obama.

http://www.alien-earth.org/images/smileys/jesusvomit.jpg
0 Replies