Bergdahl Prisoner Swap:Obama Obeys ONLY the Laws He Wants To.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2014 08:03 am
@parados,
parados wrote:
Not at all. Signing statements are meaningless when it comes to the law. They can only express a President's feelings which aren't legal. Not using a signing statement isn't a surrender any more than refusing to have an ice cream sundae once a week just because the previous President had one would be a surrender.
WELL SAID; inspirational

David
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2014 08:28 am
@parados,
By Golly, we agree on something!
parados

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2014 09:11 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

By Golly, we agree on something!

Ice cream sundaes do that now and again. Smile
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2014 01:10 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

revelette2 wrote:
I know, I have seen headlines of the Iraq situation. I just wish we never went over there, and now that I look back (hindsight being 20/20)wish we took another approach to getting Bin Laden rather than invading Afghanistan.

What other approach was there? Just let them conquer the world and commit genocide against all non-Muslims?

Iraqis were our friends until the First Gulf War. They were very useful to our country. There was no need to invade. Further, we could have worked with them in the future.
Advocate

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2014 01:12 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Advocate wrote:
Moreover, we should now raze Gitmo.

What about the people we are detaining there? Summary executions?

We release captured soldiers at the end of wars. Almost all at Gitmo should be soon released. Those we cannot release, should be sent to federal prisons.

BTW, we are spending about $800,000 per year for each prisoner at Gitmo. I think that is unacceptable.
Advocate

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2014 01:14 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:

He didn't have any nukes.

Speaking of Iraq.
Quote:
Biden: “Iraq is going to be one of the great achievements of this administration”

How is that working for you Joe?http://www.acidpulse.net/images/smilies/rofl1.gif
http://therightscoop.com/biden-iraq-is-going-to-be-one-of-the-great-achievements-of-this-administration/

Biden is a nut case, much like so many Reps. All parties have them.
coldjoint

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2014 01:29 pm
@Advocate,

Quote:
Biden is a nut case, much like so many Reps. All parties have them.

So you consider the vice president a nut? He is nothing more than an opportunist politician. Maybe you should consider the idiot(and traitor) he is defending before you try to blame Biden for what he is told to say.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2014 02:52 pm
Stephen Preston, the Pentagon’s general counsel, compared the Bergdahl exchange to the securement of the release of Blackhawk Down helicopter pilot, Michael Durant form a Somali Warlord, in that in both cases, the US negotiated with non-State groups that could be considered terrorists.

Not true.

Robert Oakley, sent to Somalia by President Clinton to secure Durant's release, has rejected the comparison saying he told the Warlord and his clan that the deal would be that they release Durant and the US won't destroy them and the whole city. I wouldn't exactly call that an opening offer in a process of negotiation.

The substance of Oakley's rebuttal was not classified information, and even if it were, it most likely would have been available to Preston during his tenure as CIA general Counsel.

Durant was released.

Eight months later a few Somali prisoners were released.

WAPO Confirmation

President Clinton nominated Preston for General Counsel of the Navy. He was confirmed. He also served as Deputy Assistant Attorney General under Clinton.

President Obama nominated him for General Counsel of the CIA and he was confirmed. During his confirmation hearings for the Pentagon GC spot, Preston was pressed by Democrat Senator Udall to testify that he did not play a central role in the CIA's response to the Senate Intelligence Committee's critical report on CIA interrogation and detention practices, and that he did not agree with it. The testimony led to Udall withdrawing his hold on the nomination, which was then confirmed.

(Stephen Preston should not be confused with Steve Preston who served under Bush in HUD)

John Brennan was the CIA Director at the time the CIA response (rebuttal) was made and the confirmation hearings were held. Brennan has more than 25 years with the CIA and served under President Bush. President Obama nominate him for the position of CIA Director after General Petraeus resigned and Mike Morell served as Acting Director for four months.

So either Preston didn't know what he was talking about when he made the comparison or he was carrying water for the White House.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2014 03:04 pm
Rep.Reid Ribble a Republican out of Wisconsin filed a resolution

Quote:
...officially “condemning” Obama for failing to give Congress 30-days’ notice — as required by law — before trading five Taliban prisoners who had been held at Guantanamo Bay for the captive U.S. Army soldier. The resolution also expresses “grave concern” about the national security implications of the release of the former Taliban leaders, who were sent to Qatar.

source

The resolution was co-sponsored by Rep. Scott Rigell, R-Va., Rep. John Barrow, D-Ga and Rep. Nick Rahall, D-WV.

Quote:
“The President is claiming authority to act in a way that is contrary to what the law explicitly says,” Rahall said in a statement. “Congress must exercise its legislative authority under the Constitution’s system of checks and balances to counter such executive assertions, which is what this resolution aims to do.”

Barrow doesn’t like the swap, period.

“After receiving a classified briefing from the administration, I disagree with how the administration negotiated with terrorists for the transfer of terrorists we already had in custody,” he said.

source
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2014 01:45 am
@Advocate,
Advocate wrote:
We release captured soldiers at the end of wars. Almost all at Gitmo should be soon released.

We aren't even close to ending our war against al-Qa'ida, and are not even close to releasing any al-Qa'ida POWs.

Advocate wrote:
Those we cannot release, should be sent to federal prisons.

Dumping POWs into penal institutions as if they were convicted criminals is not going to make for a good precedent the next time someone captures some American soldiers.

And there is no way the Republicans are ever going to allow it, since the only reason for closing Guantanamo is so Democrats can prevent themselves from being tarnished by the false accusations that they levied against the Bush Administration.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2014 01:46 am
@Advocate,
Advocate wrote:
oralloy wrote:
revelette2 wrote:
I know, I have seen headlines of the Iraq situation. I just wish we never went over there, and now that I look back (hindsight being 20/20)wish we took another approach to getting Bin Laden rather than invading Afghanistan.

What other approach was there? Just let them conquer the world and commit genocide against all non-Muslims?

Iraqis were our friends until the First Gulf War. They were very useful to our country. There was no need to invade. Further, we could have worked with them in the future.

Even if we had chosen not to invade Iraq, what other approach could there have been besides invading Afghanistan?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2014 12:34 pm
@oralloy,
Leaving al-Qaeda to plan other attacks.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2014 03:41 pm
@oralloy,
Indeed, we had to invade Afghan. But there was no need to invade Iraq, except to steal its oil (which we failed at).

Albeit necessary to invade Afghan., we didn't have to stay for 12 years to effect regime change (something the Bush people said was not on our agenda.) We drove both al Qaida and the Taliban out of the country, and should have left at that point.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2014 03:45 pm
Here is a fascinating piece about how, at the same time the Reps in congress criticize Berg. (Fox says he should be executed), congress is funding the Taliban. Congress is giving protection money to the Taliban to ensure the safety of our vital convoys delivering materiel to our soldiers.

http://www.opednews.com/articles/As-Sgt-Bergdahl-is-attack-by-Ralph-Lopez-Bowe-Bergdahl-140614-510.html
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2014 05:30 pm
@Advocate,
It is an interesting article, but what it says about the propriety of this deal and the White House's actions surrounding it escapes me.

And Fox says Bergdahl (You've given him the nickname "Berg?") should be executed?

Which Fox is that?

John Fox, coach of the Denver Broncos?
Actress Megan Fox, who recently starred in a Transformers movie?
Michael J. Fox of "Back to The Future" fame?
Susannah Fox of the Pew Research Center?

Maybe you mean the Fox Broadcasting Company. Did I miss their release of a corporate statement calling for the execution of Sgt Bergdahl?
Advocate

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2014 08:23 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Nice quibble! Of course it was one of its anchors.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2014 08:28 pm
@Advocate,
Really?
Which one?

And it's not quibbling to point out that no organization should categorized based on the opinion of one member.
georgeob1

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2014 08:42 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Advocate is an inept liar, who simply can't come up with a credible story even when he sorely needs one. However he is a little better at evasion and simply not answering direct questions.

All that suggests he is stupid and deceitful, but nevertheless not entirely without the ability to weasel his way through.
roger

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2014 08:44 pm
@georgeob1,
I think there was a compliment in there, somewhere. A bit faint perhaps.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2014 08:46 pm
@georgeob1,
I long ago gave up hope that some of the folks in this forum who constantly duck inconvenient questions or points made might change their ways.
0 Replies