Bergdahl Prisoner Swap:Obama Obeys ONLY the Laws He Wants To.

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2014 09:03 am
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:

In the end, it was finally decided (see my previous post) that the Taliban was afforded the rights of the Geneva Conventions but not POW's. I would have to look and see the rights non POW's receive under the GC to know exactly which rights they have. However, the reason a distinction was made was in case we needed to do prisoner exchanges and that is the main point to the whole line of this particular discussion of the difference between the Taliban and AQ.

As far as the thirty rule, the administration's stated reasons really don't matter in the end, they made a signing statement (of which is perfectly legal) which sort of nullifies the thirty day rule because the rule itself was unconstitutional as it infringed on the separation of the powers and the commander in chief ability of flexibility.

It only "sort of nullifies" the law in the minds of Obama and his aides.
revelette2

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2014 09:47 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
OK, when other Presidents wrote signing statements, were the signing statements not worth the paper they were written on? The whole thirty days notice should not have been passed.
Advocate

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2014 10:15 am
It is significant that the five traded Taliban were never even charged with anything. Again, we are well rid of them. Moreover, we should now raze Gitmo.

Bush's adventure going into Iraq created untold thousands of terrorists, who have spread thoughout the world. This is really hurting right now with their attempts in taking over large areas of Iraq, and threatening to similarly take over Syria, Palestine, and North Africa. I guess it is that the American right strikes again.
revelette2

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2014 11:17 am
@Advocate,
I know, I have seen headlines of the Iraq situation. I just wish we never went over there, and now that I look back (hindsight being 20/20)wish we took another approach to getting Bin Laden rather than invading Afghanistan. I think it was Biden who said we should just go after the terrorist when Obama escalated the war, I think Obama should have listened. Its good we got Bin Laden, but the whole thing is just another mess we only made worse or at least not improved although at the time I was for it.
coldjoint

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2014 11:21 am
@Advocate,

Quote:
Bush's adventure going into Iraq created untold thousands of terrorists,

They would be there without Bush. The ideology(Islam) has a system to churn out killers. As soon as the oil money rolled in the system kicked into high gear. The period when they lay low is called "hudna." It means nothing more than preparing for the next Islamic conquest in the long road of eternal war that is a religious obligation.

Putting the blame on Bush is misplaced. The blame is all Islams.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2014 11:30 am
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:
Bush's adventure going into Iraq created untold thousands of terrorists,

They would be there without Bush. The ideology(Islam) has a system to churn out killers. As soon as the oil money rolled in the system kicked into high gear. The period when they lay low is called "hudna." It means nothing more than preparing for the next Islamic conquest in the long road of eternal war that is a religious obligation.

Putting the blame on Bush is misplaced. The blame is all Islams.

Saddam was not much of a Moslem. He was a Saddamite,
but he might have nuked us anyway.
He was intolerably dangerous.
His sons were worse.
oralloy

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2014 11:30 am
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:
In the end, it was finally decided (see my previous post) that the Taliban was afforded the rights of the Geneva Conventions but not POW's.

It was more that they decided to make them POWs but without using the term POW.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2014 11:31 am
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:
I know, I have seen headlines of the Iraq situation. I just wish we never went over there, and now that I look back (hindsight being 20/20)wish we took another approach to getting Bin Laden rather than invading Afghanistan.

What other approach was there? Just let them conquer the world and commit genocide against all non-Muslims?
oralloy

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2014 11:32 am
@Advocate,
Advocate wrote:
Moreover, we should now raze Gitmo.

What about the people we are detaining there? Summary executions?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2014 11:43 am
@revelette2,
I've already written that I do not support "signing statements" by any President; of any party. Stick to the issues and skip the tu quoque fallacies.

If Obama agrees with you that it should not have been passed then he should not have signed it. Signing statements don't nullify laws.

If he had a reason why he had to signed the appropriations bill, but objected to this, then he should have immediately followed his signing statement with an effort to have a court rule on the constitutionality of the amendment.

The whole process of tacking on amendments to appropriation bills is a problem. It's used by Republicans and Democrats.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2014 01:04 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

His sons were worse.

He didn't have any nukes. How was he intolerably dangerous?
coldjoint

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2014 01:34 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:

He didn't have any nukes.

Speaking of Iraq.
Quote:
Biden: “Iraq is going to be one of the great achievements of this administration”

How is that working for you Joe?http://www.acidpulse.net/images/smilies/rofl1.gif
http://therightscoop.com/biden-iraq-is-going-to-be-one-of-the-great-achievements-of-this-administration/
Advocate

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2014 02:20 pm
@coldjoint,
It is funny to see cons citing liberal Dems. As most people know, Biden is considered reckless jerk by those on the left.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2014 02:55 pm
@InfraBlue,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
His sons were worse.
InfraBlue wrote:
He didn't have any nukes. How was he intolerably dangerous?
He lived right next door to Russia.
After the USSR ignominiously collapsed and went out of business,
Saddam had a bunch of half starving Russian scientists for his nabors,
who might be prevailed upon to sell some nukes. Some ex-commie military officers
might also be inclined to make a ruble with that.

Intolerably risky for us. We knew that he was a homicidal maniac
with a grudge against us for kicking him out of Kuwait.

He cud have put a nuke on a boat and floated it
in the direction of an American port city,
in one of which, I used to reside.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2014 02:59 pm
@oralloy,
Advocate wrote:
Moreover, we should now raze Gitmo.
oralloy wrote:
What about the people we are detaining there? Summary executions?
It is an outpost against Cuban communism.

It is a good place to keep dangerous Moslems.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2014 03:58 pm
@revelette2,
Signing statements aren't worth the paper they are written on if they attempt to nullify a law. A President is free to feel part of a law is unconstitutional but a signing statement doesn't make it unconstitutional.

There is some question as to whether the law can be litigated before someone has standing to bring it before the court. In this case no one may have had standing until the President violated the law as written. Then the courts can decide whether it meets the Constitutional test when the President's actions are challenged.
coldjoint

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2014 04:10 pm
@parados,
Quote:
Signing statements aren't worth the paper they are written on if they attempt to nullify a law.

In other words, Obama has done what he wishes and there is nothing we can do about it. Except listening to a shill and his myriad of excuses for the presidents obviously anti-American behavior.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2014 04:38 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

There is some question as to whether the law can be litigated before someone has standing to bring it before the court. In this case no one may have had standing until the President violated the law as written. Then the courts can decide whether it meets the Constitutional test when the President's actions are challenged.

Good point.

I know that an action for Declaratory Judgment can be brought under civil law to ask the court to conclusively rule on and affirm the rights, duties, or obligations of one or more parties. I suppose the hypothetical nature of the issue immediately upon signing a law would prohibit the use of a Dec Action.

I also know that an Advisory Opinion can be sought that while not deciding any actual dispute can advise on the constitutionality of a law.

0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2014 07:03 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

Signing statements aren't worth the paper they are written on if they attempt to nullify a law. A President is free to feel part of a law is unconstitutional but a signing statement doesn't make it unconstitutional.

A president who sees that his predecessors are using signing statements would also have to use them. Otherwise, he would offering a unilateral surrender.
parados

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2014 07:36 am
@Advocate,
Not at all. Signing statements are meaningless when it comes to the law. They can only express a President's feelings which aren't legal. Not using a signing statement isn't a surrender any more than refusing to have an ice cream sundae once a week just because the previous President had one would be a surrender.