How do you feel about a membership fee for A2K?

Miller

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2014 05:54 am
How do you feel about paying an annual membership fee of about $100/year to join and post on A2K?

If you join, but never post, the fee could be lowered by about 50%.

I think it's a good idea. What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 24 • Views: 18,701 • Replies: 251

chai2

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2014 05:59 am
@Miller,
Why?
Miller

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2014 06:00 am
@chai2,
Some will ask "Why"? And others will ask "Why not"?

So be it...
chai2

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2014 06:03 am
@Miller,
Stop with the word games.

I asked a legitimate question.

Why should there be a memebership fee?
djjd62

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2014 06:07 am
i took a good long break from A2K, upon my return i started this thread

One Thing I've Noticed

it quickly denigrated into everything i learned to loathe about the site

now i take little, if anything seriously, and enjoy taking the piss on most political and sociological subjects, but it's just the same folks rattling on about the same subjects in a predictable fashion

the only real new blood are the philosophy folks who came on board a few years back, and most of them seem less than sane

i'll continue to visit and post now and again, but i wouldn't pay for the privilege (though i did contribute to the site when that option was around, and might consider that option again if it was voluntary)
djjd62

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2014 06:08 am
@chai2,
a discussion on another thread brought this about, apparently if money is involved things improve, i guess wall street bankers pretty much destroy that theory
Miller

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2014 06:12 am
On the old Abuzz, moderators received a small fee ( about $15/hour ) for moderating on the site.

Some of the fee collected on A2K could pay a small stipend to moderators and also pay a small stipend to Craven for all of his time/energy on this site.
chai2

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2014 06:13 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

i'll continue to visit and post now and again, but i wouldn't pay for the privilege (though i did contribute to the site when that option was around, and might consider that option again if it was voluntary)

I did the same, contribute voluntarily.

Honestly? I post here more out of habit than anything else. Why would I pay for that?

How would it work anyway? You get X amount of time of free posting, to see if you like it?
Yeah right. After that time, the person would just stop.

Does any forum charge money? Not that I know of.

If it was required to pay to be here, it would be more of a ghost town than it already is.
chai2

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2014 06:14 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

a discussion on another thread brought this about, apparently if money is involved things improve...

"Improve" how?

Improve for whom? In what way?
djjd62

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2014 06:16 am
@Miller,
Miller wrote:
At one time Craven ( Robert) wanted to charge members a membership fee. I think that's a good idea and a fair fee (?) might be $100/year. that fee may change the types of indivduals who join A2K and post items here.

this new statement is a bit different from the one above

the statement above was the one i referenced when responding to chai2
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2014 06:19 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
If it was required to pay to be here,
it would be more of a ghost town than it already is.
That 's the problem.

I don t see a need for more moderation.
Abuzz was much, much worse, hostile environment than this.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2014 06:22 am
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

On the old Abuzz, moderators received a small fee ( about $15/hour ) for moderating on the site.

Some of the fee collected on A2K could pay a small stipend to moderators and also pay a small stipend to Craven for all of his time/energy on this site.

What? Are you looking for a job as moderator, and are campaigning for pay?

You are so out of touch with reality. You call $15/hr a "stipend", and at the same time claim people can live off of collecting dirty cans and bottles.

Why don't you just go out and collect 375 cans in an hour, each hour. That's your $15/hr.

So, you've noted we should pay $100 a year to pay the moderators $15.

What else?
What value does paying a fee bring to this site?

0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2014 06:24 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

djjd62 wrote:

a discussion on another thread brought this about, apparently if money is involved things improve...

"Improve" how?

As I mentioned above, the Moderators on the old Abuzz were paid $15/hr to moderate the site. The NYTimes stopped supporting the Abuzz forum, when it could not make enough $$ to carry it along.

Don't you think that Craven and the a2K moderators should have a small stipend for all the work that they do? Why should anyone who reads and posts on A2K expect the A2K moderators as well as Craven to not receive a little compensation for the efforts?
engineer

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2014 06:27 am
One of my pleasures from A2K is helping the occasional poster who asks a question about electricity or math or ESL. These people will not come to a pay site to ask a single question.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2014 06:28 am
@Miller,
ever done any volunteer work, plenty of folk do , mostly because they have a passion or interest in a cause or it's a pursuit that interests them

i think a lot of mods do it for the same reason

a contribute button for site fees is one thing i could get behind, if i came here more, i'd gladly mod for free
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2014 06:32 am
@Miller,

chai2 wrote:

djjd62 wrote:

"Improve" how?

Miller wrote:
As I mentioned above, the Moderators on the old Abuzz were paid $15/hr to moderate the site. The NYTimes stopped supporting the Abuzz forum, when it could not make enough $$ to carry it along.

Don't you think that Craven and the a2K moderators should have a small stipend for all the work that they do? Why should anyone who reads and posts on A2K expect the A2K moderators as well as Craven to not receive a little compensation for the efforts?
I 'd be happy to give him the money,
but the site wud become de-populated.
chai2

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2014 06:34 am
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

They don't have to be a moderator if they don't want to, it's voluntary, it's something to put on their resume.

Are you a moderator? Is that what this is all about?

So far, you've twice named the wage question.

What else? What value is it going to bring to the site? How will it make it better?

As engineer said, people who come on here with a legitimate question aren't going to pay to get an answer.

Well, neither would all the teenagers who come on with their relationship issues.

Take those away, who's going to be here? Us old geezers?

The fact that anyone can come on and bring up thoughtful, or silly issues sparks conversation. That would stop if people had to pay something to come on and bring up things that end up being popular topics.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2014 06:37 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

ever done any volunteer work, plenty of folk do , mostly because they have a passion or interest in a cause or it's a pursuit that interests them

i think a lot of mods do it for the same reason

a contribute button for site fees is one thing i could get behind, if i came here more, i'd gladly mod for free

If I had the temperment for it, I'd moderate, but I don't have what it takes.

I agree with the contribute button, and an occassional thread started to remind up we can contribute if we want.
Miller

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2014 06:40 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Yes, the population could decrease, but as noted by Hawkeye on another thread, this site could shut down. If it does, the population will reach zero .
As you may have noticed, and as was commented on else where on A2K, many of the long time posters, seem to have reduced their participation greatly.

The suggestion of shutting down the "ignore" button will also cause the population of A2K folks to fall. I love the "ignore" button because it keeps me calm and composed.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2014 06:40 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

If I had the temperment for it, I'd moderate, but I don't have what it takes.
I feel the same way.
I don t wanna tell anyone what to do.
0 Replies