How do you feel about a membership fee for A2K?

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2014 09:56 pm
@Thomas,
Tricky isn't the same as impossible or unneeded.
Thomas

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2014 09:59 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:
Tricky isn't the same as impossible or unneeded.

Then I suggest you start your own site, do a better job, and put A2K out of business.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2014 10:04 pm
@hawkeye10,
You're seriously more concerned about this than I am. There are standards for censorship here all ready. Why aren't your panties twisted about that? I'm saying fighting words are not the same as protected speech. I'm ex Navy and my family came out of construction so while obscene isn't my cup of tea, it doesn't bother me. Hate speech does. Racial slurs bother me. Someone calling your mother a .......... well, it would bother me even if you don't care.

If you can't calm down we'll have to find another topic that you aren't so overwrought about.

How about them Mets?

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2014 10:09 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
So there is censorship. who's worse: me for supporting it or Robert for enplaning it?
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2014 11:48 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
There are standards for censorship here all ready

JTT I believe has gotten banned, and this bothers me. But overall this place is much more free than Robert was planning. I take that as a win. I hope it holds up but I doubt that it will.
Quote:
Hate speech does. Racial slurs bother me.

then ignore it. "problem" solved.

Quote:
If you can't calm down we'll have to find another topic that you aren't so overwrought about.
you are assuming the emotion on my part. I have been fighting for the free flow of ideas for a long time, and while I am passionate about it I am also passionate about ******* my wife in the ass, about my smoked brisket dish at the restaurant, about arguing Gun N Roses with one of my cooks, about finding good a Rye Whiskey, about my lawn looking just so (best on the street), about ...

I am Zen, we dont believe in sleeping through life. Dont read more into my passion for free speech than it deserves.
Setanta

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2014 02:24 am
Here we go again with Whackeye's free speech fantasy. Now he's fallen back on his freedom fighter delusion. This place is as free as RG and the other owners intend it to be. No one censors Whackeye. He is the very living avatar of Chicken Little.
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2014 02:25 am
@djjd62,
Quote:
what are you, some kinda communist

Politics? Don't talk dirty Smile
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2014 02:27 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
So there is censorship. who's worse: me for supporting it or Robert for enplaning it?

Huh?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2014 05:02 am
@bobsal u1553115,
awww, words hurt Wink
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2014 10:00 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

I despise the term "meme" and take issue with certain aspects of the concept, but I find the possibility that any post in this forum, and particularly those generally agreed upon to be offensive, might act as a functioning "meme" unlikely.

Before the Holocaust could occur, before Irish peasants could be allowed to starve to death, before Native Americans could be moved off of historical tribal land, a people have to be made "expendable." That takes time, and starts with a meme that the majority decide to subscribe to, since others are willing to follow the crowd.

Your "despising" the term "meme" is a non-sequitur to any point. My point is that "forums" are not even one generation old; forums are taking the place of the 19th century general store's pot belly stove that towns people gathered around to gossip. And, the itinerant sales person, selling notions and potions, took the gossip to the next town. It is all the same, just faster in cyberspace.

And, to reiterate, I would not want to pay an A2K fee, just for spite. Let's not get anyone thinking that this virtual backyard fence is worth paying for, in money or bubble gum wrappers. That is my opinion. Yours is that you "despise" the word "meme."

Foofie

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2014 10:12 am
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

I feel that many, many of the wildly liberal posters on A2K and elsewhere today are themselves racists, who criticize others for being what they may perceive as racist, when in reality, their own racism is so real, they're afraid of admitting it to themselves. Basically they're projecting their own racism on non-racist individuals with unjust accusations.

Ahhh, yes. Reaction formation. Basically the driving force behind anti-Semitism (projecting negative qualities onto the stereotype Jew).

But, one might never get anyone to admit this, since it lasted so long, it is indelibly part of the Gentile culture. The only cure that I believe might work is confronting many with the reality that they are basically an over-compensation for feelings not of inferiority, but of actually being inferior (i.e., descended from ancestors that possibly only became literate in the last 100 years for a start, for some). I would call the process of confrontation: The reality of one's place in society (based on the premise that education is not a social deodorant).

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2014 01:03 pm
@Lordyaswas,
I bet that alarm must have going off constantly! Smile
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2014 01:06 pm
@hawkeye10,
I wondered about JTT's absence. Is your belief that he was banned based on something you have learned from him or the the ghosts in the A2K machine or are you just guessing?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2014 01:08 pm
@Foofie,
My comment on "meme" is not an opinion it is a declaration, one of the opinions I expressed is that it is highly unlikely that any post in this forum and particularly those generally agreed upon to be offensive might function as a "meme" as the term is generally understood to mean.

I can never tell what's going to puts you in a snit Foofie.
Foofie

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2014 05:32 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

My comment on "meme" is not an opinion it is a declaration, one of the opinions I expressed is that it is highly unlikely that any post in this forum and particularly those generally agreed upon to be offensive might function as a "meme" as the term is generally understood to mean.

I can never tell what's going to puts you in a snit Foofie.

If you remember Yul Brynner as the Pharoh in the Ten Commandments, he would pronounce, "It has been said, it has been written." So, with the help of cyberspace, it also is now written, and becomes part of the collective consciousness. I still disagree, since a post can function like that butterfly's wing flapping and causing a hurricane on the other side of the planet (supposedly). Naturally, not always, but who wants to mess with Mother Nature, or possibly divisive memes?
Miller

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2014 06:05 pm
@hawkeye10,
Was JTT banned?
bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2014 06:16 pm
@Thomas,
Seriously. Inviting me to leave for speaking freely on a thread about free speech on a2k, a site known for its minimal interference with free speech.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2014 06:16 pm
@Miller,
I have no idea if ratatatat was banned for repetitive ratatatats.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2014 06:19 pm
@Foofie,
Who wants to mess with free speech?
bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2014 06:22 pm
@hawkeye10,
Damn. JTT actually had a lot of good stuff to say. JTT could go ballistic, too. Yep. JTT and I got along OK. He's actually the most consistently anti-imperialist I've ever known.

I was wondering what happened. No doubt, he danced the line.