How do you feel about a membership fee for A2K?

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2014 12:08 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
I think it would be a mistake.
I dunno, but I suspect, that we r not gonna have this problem.

David
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2014 12:52 pm
@Miller,
The idea of a fee is stupidity. It's a way to drain membership rather quickly and in return contribute nothing.

Well, nothing other than money to the mods and/or site owner(s). Yest, I believe they're worth a salary; however, on a messaging board this seems kind of nuts.

There are also quite possibly people who post here who don't have that extra hundred smackers a year to shell out. Yet, they may be some of the better posters. You want to eliminate them and lessen the experience which can be had here? You really is bonkers if that's your idea of progress towards improving a site. A site based on free exchange, freedom of thought. All
thoughts, good, bad, indifferent.

Or are you planning to cover the cost for those who either don't have the money or at least say they don't? Tell ya what, instead of doing that, take the money and donate it towards a worthwhile organization or charity or just purchase some food goods and a few sundries and package them up for distribution to the homeless and other downtrodden folks. They could use the assist.

0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2014 01:23 pm
@Miller,
Quote:
If you join, but never post, the fee could be lowered by about 50%.

So you wish the posters who provide the material that bring the non-posters to this website to pay double what the non-posters pay?

Never have a econ 101 course in your life?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2014 02:14 pm
Interesting that I make a comment about how unlikely it is that hamsters can be recruited when Robert refuses to ban people like me and Pamala Rosa, and because the community has become very weak, and it gets extrapolated into "Hawkeye says the place is closing, should we send money?"

UM, NO, and it is not clear that money would change anything. Robert had plans of making this into a money maker, but those died years ago, and A2K is still here. I dont know why, and I would like to know why, but I dont see why he would close it now when he did not two years ago because of money. I think it would be because of lack of Hamsters, and/or lack of interest.

Robert does not post hardly at all, does this mean that he has lost interest? I dont know, maybe he spends a hour a day here reading, loving every minute, saying to himself every dollar spent to keep this place going is a dollar well spent and he is happy to do it.

We used to have a donation tab but now donations are not taken? If so doesn't that indicate that shortage of money is not a problem? I am on another place that at least once a month makes a desperate call for more money, why dont I see that here?

Anyway, the main thrust of my post the Miller is talking about made the argument that A2K is on borrowed time because allows free speech to a much higher degree than is now the norm, it does not conform to the norm in the collective. Free speech and free thought are under withering attack from many angles, a place that allows it is going to have a tough time getting users or workers....that was my point.
roger

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2014 02:28 pm
@hawkeye10,
And a good point it was.

I recall that when Miller joined as New Haven, or something like that, he/she mostly participated by ridiculing the site on Abuzz where she posted as KAK. I have not trusted her motives since.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2014 02:35 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:
And a good point it was.

I recall that when Miller joined as New Haven, or something like that,
he/she mostly participated by ridiculing the site on Abuzz where she posted as KAK.
What has led u to believe that she did so????
What is your evidence ??
chai2

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2014 02:40 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Interesting that I make a comment about how unlikely it is that hamsters can be recruited when Robert refuses to ban people like me and Pamala Rosa, and because the community has become very weak, and it gets extrapolated into "Hawkeye says the place is closing, should we send money?"

Take that up with Miller.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2014 02:51 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Knowing Rog, he'd only say if he'd witnessed it.
roger

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2014 02:51 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
The evidence was in the posts. Sadly, if Abuzz posts were still available I still wouldn't humor you by digging them up.
roger

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2014 02:52 pm
@Lash,
Thanks Lash.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2014 02:58 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Miller wrote:

Yes, the population could decrease, but as noted by Hawkeye on another thread, this site could shut down.

the very best thing I can suggest to you is to ignore (or even better thumb down) Hawkeye when he gets on one of his 'the A2k sky is falling' freakouts. He's been having them for years.

RE new A2K I was half right, I said that it would kill the free exchange of ideas, and not only was I wrong about that but it has actually gotten better because now instead of taking the claims of offense seriously and censoring the powers that be here say " take care of the problem yourself, that is why we gave you an ignore button, BYE!".

I also said that the community would die, and it mostly has. This makes this place less usable for exchanging ideas, because a lot of the people who I valued exchanging ideas with are now gone. And what about the people who are still here, you Beth and Chai both say that you post mostly out of habit, not because you get anything out of it, not because what ever attracted you here is still here. How many times have people told us they are leaving because A2K is no longer worth the time/work? Tons. You two will probably leave as well. Unless A2K attracts new blood, and it mostly is not, A2K will die, I will get proven right it my call that the survival of this place depended upon maintaining the health of the community. I told Robert this when he claimed that the community is not necessary to A2K, that it could leave and A2K would be just fine, I told him that he was an idiot. I am confident that history will prove me correct.

My argument is that I claimed that the sky is falling and it is in fact falling, just slower than I predicted. I was mostly right.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2014 06:25 pm
Weren't we able to buy a2k gear awhile back?
I would contribute if there was a link for same.
Also, I have no objection to ads and popups.

roger

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2014 06:39 pm
@neologist,
I think this is the only site I've seen with no advertising. I use another that accepts contributions, but only through paypal. I had a relatively small problem with them back when a2k used them. I will probably never use paypal again.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2014 08:32 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:
The evidence was in the posts.
Sadly, if Abuzz posts were still available
I still wouldn't humor you by digging them up.
That 's OK, Roger.
I did not mean to put u to work.
I only asked u to explain; u did that. Thanx.

David
izzythepush

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 04:08 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
Robert does not post hardly at all,

As always, what you've written means the exact opposite of what you meant to write.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 04:11 am
@Miller,
I wouldn't mind a tiny membership fee, if only to keep the spammers and bots away.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 08:19 am
@Miller,
Bullshit. There is no moderation on his site. Or Pamela Rosa's racism would be edited out.

There is no need for a fee for a service not rendered.
djjd62

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 10:01 am
@bobsal u1553115,
there is in fact moderation on the site

as for PR, much like cable news, she simply spins the stories to match her agenda, she posts real news stories to support her belief that blacks have some kind of hate agenda against whites, she may be reprehensible, but nothing she does breaches the TOS to my knowledge
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 10:41 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

there is in fact moderation on the site

as for PR, much like cable news, she simply spins the stories to match her agenda, she posts real news stories to support her belief that blacks have some kind of hate agenda against whites, she may be reprehensible, but nothing she does breaches the TOS to my knowledge
I think she is trying to render a violent crime related public service,
a warning.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 11:00 am
@Brandon9000,
[quote="Brandon9000"
One might start with a voluntary contribute button. I really do feel that Robert deserves something for all of his work.
[/quote]

I agree with you and I think that Craven ( Robert) and the moderators do deserve something for their work.
0 Replies