How do you feel about a membership fee for A2K?

Thomas

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2014 07:42 am
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:
They actually go down quicker than that. I report every one I find. But using racist language seems to be OK.

Indeed it is, and Robert said so explicitly in the post that Buttrflynet just linked to:

Robert Gentel wrote:
I believe that able2know should be a free marketplace of ideas and I do not think we should ban people on the basis of their opinions, no matter how distasteful they may be, as long as they do not infringe on the rights of other here for peaceful coexistence as they express them.

That's a clear standard: Any opinion goes. By all appearances, your problem isn't that the standard is unclear, it's that the standard is more permissive than you'd like it to be.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2014 07:56 am
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:
In the end, how is custom kitchens so bad it needs to be censored but Rosa's calling mixed race people "hybred" so all right?

I don't think it's about them being bad, it's about them being hideable. If you dislike what Rosa says, you can push the ignore button on her and you won't have to read her ever again. As Robert said in one of Butrflynet's links, that's supposed to be an A2K user's first line of defense.

But this fails with spam because spammers typically submit just one post and then switch usernames. If you ignore one spam account, you still see the spam from all the others. That's where users can't help themselves, and where moderators step in.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2014 08:08 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
That's where users can't help themselves, and where moderators step in.
I have tried to help by reporting the spam ASAP.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2014 08:12 am
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:
They actually go down quicker than that. I report every one I find.
But using racist language seems to be OK.
Sure, Y not, Bob???
I see no harm in that;
if an Irishman calls me a "limey", I remain FULLY INTACT.
Thomas

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2014 09:43 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Thomas wrote:

And in your experience, did they remove it in a timely manner?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2014 10:19 am
@Thomas,

OmSigDAVID wrote:

Thomas wrote:
Thomas wrote:
And in your experience, did they remove it in a timely manner?
I dunno. My procedure is to collapse it
so I don t have to see it, then report it as being spam. I don t check after that.

David
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2014 10:30 am
@OmSigDAVID,
That's not in the same league as the n word, and you're not.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2014 10:41 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
That's not in the same league as the n word, and you're not.
The Irish have hated the English; some probably still do.
True that I am not, except by ancestral derivation;
e.g., some of my ex-nabors and friends were Italian,
tho born in America. We ofen referred to them as being Italians.
THAY did. The same as my dead friend, Neil. He referred to himself
and his family as Irish, tho thay were all born in America.

I understand what u mean, tho.

Quote:
How do you feel about a membership fee for A2K?
Cud u get in there for 1OO pounds of English Sterling Silver?

David
izzythepush

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2014 10:47 am
@OmSigDAVID,
$13,500? Not on your nelly.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2014 10:51 am
@izzythepush,
A little joke; I hope u don t mind.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2014 10:57 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Do you want my workings?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2014 11:05 am
@izzythepush,
The monetary calculations?

I take your word for the price of silver.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2014 11:25 am
@djjd62,
Quote:
if my standard for tv was law, 90% of programming would be gone

More then that in my case as with a hundred channels sometimes there is not a thing worth watching.

History channels with no history, headline news channel with no news, music video channel with no music videos, discovery channel with less and less worthwhile programming and on and on.

With everything being taken over by cheap to produce so call reality programs where I find myself hoping the whole production crews would fall through the ice in ice road truckers, that all the ships would sink in the most deadly catch program and a pride of lions would eat on camera the naked and afraid cast and so on.

With three or four channels in the 1950s and 1960s there was more hours of worthwhile programming every week then there are now.
BillRM

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2014 11:28 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
but Rosa's calling mixed race people "hybred" so all right?

She was challenge for doing so by myself and by others and the solution to hate speak is counter speak not damn censorship.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2014 11:28 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:
if my standard for tv was law, 90% of programming would be gone

More then that in my case as with a hundred channels sometimes there is not a thing worth watching.

History channels with no history,
showing historical ERROR!
BillRM

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2014 11:40 am
@OmSigDAVID,
David the history channel had one of their rare programs that deal with history in their three nights world war 1 to war world 2 program.

An yet it was full of errors and deal in a very simple minded manner with the subject and you could not post a comment on the history channel website as the boards had all be removed years before.

I am assuming that this was due to the boards even then being full of complains over such programs as ice road truckers.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2014 11:40 am
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

Would an Ashkenazi Jew who hated Sephardic Jews be an antisemite?

One need not hate Jews to be an anti-Semite. One might just feel that they do not belong/fit-in in a joyful Gentile culture celebrating the popular culture (i.e, tatoos, macho males, alienation from higher education). Sort of a latter day Archie Bunker, in my opinion. Perhaps, Jews do not always fit-in; however, its the displeasure of the Gentile upon realizing there are Jews in proximity that reflect anti-Semitism, in my opinion. That's not hate; just an inability to handle diversity, in my opinion again.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2014 12:02 pm
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

Calling me "Jew Trash" however, was a different matter. I'm thankful that a moderator acted quickly to remove both of the relevant threads.

That would be one interesting movie title. Think of a trailer park with just Jewish Trash. Barefoot Jewish waifs running after baseballs. Jewish dogs barking at Gentile cars passing by.

Actually, early 20th century shuls did have spitoons. The Shamus had to clean the spitoon. Did Jewish men chew tobacco?

Plus, I always wondered why the sheriff or marshall's badges were often Stars of David? Did this reflect a Protestant majority that wanted to dissuade Catholics from settling "in these here parts"?

Anyway, if one studies NYC Jews in the early 20th century, one would find out that 80% of the NYC jails were filled with Jewish males around 1910. And, not for white collar crime. Regular crime (i.e., truck hi-jackings, etc.).
And, it was the awareness of Murder Incorporated in East New York, Brooklyn that dissuaded many an anti-Semite from coming in to bother Jews.

After WWII, NYC Jews first started moving into the solid middle-class. A combination of the GI Bill for education, and a feeling that Germany's atrocities reflect a degree of anti-Semitism that needs to be kept from our shores, in my opinion. I still say I can only have a sincere non-Jewish friend that is Protestant. Nothing wrong with Catholicism. It's just that their identity is just all wrapped up in the world-view of Catholicism, in my opinion, and even in America Jews are not supposed to be afforded a sincerity of friendship, again in my opinion. In effect, I believe Protestants have better shed any Eurocentrism that includes anti-Semitism. Just my opinion for anyone to enjoy.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2014 12:10 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

Miller wrote:

Calling me "Jew Trash" however, was a different matter. I'm thankful that a moderator acted quickly to remove both of the relevant threads.

That would be one interesting movie title. Think of a trailer park with just Jewish Trash. Barefoot Jewish waifs running after baseballs. Jewish dogs barking at Gentile cars passing by.

That could be Mel Brooks last and final feature film.
Foofie

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2014 12:34 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Foofie wrote:

Miller wrote:

That could be Mel Brooks last and final feature film.

It might be funnier than The Producers (original movie with Zero Mostel and Gene Wilder)?