IS THERE A GOOD REASON FOR A NEW GODZILLA?

Reply Sat 17 May, 2014 10:28 am
Only serious dicussions welcome on this most serious subject.

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 17 May, 2014 10:33 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Only serious dicussions welcome on this most serious subject.

$$$
farmerman

Reply Sat 17 May, 2014 10:43 am
@Frank Apisa,
the production costs have topped 150Mil and that doesn't include the 'hype". A movie must do a substantial markeup return to actually make money.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 17 May, 2014 10:54 am
A movie like that will be aired the rest of our lives, on TV or elsewhere. I don't see how they can lose.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 17 May, 2014 11:03 am
No.
Ragman

Reply Sat 17 May, 2014 12:18 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
But, but, but..it's in 3-D and all...maybe in I-MAX, too. Avatar is the only 3-D movie I've seen so far and it was one of the first 3-D movies back around Xmas-time of 2009.

Plot? "We don't need no steenkin plot!"

Did the original have a plot? Big fat lizard with bad breath.
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sat 17 May, 2014 01:08 pm
Godzilla is a monster movie and therefore might appeal to kids.
Personally I avoid anything about monsters, zombies, vampires etc because they bore the krap out of me..Smile
Sturgis

Reply Sat 17 May, 2014 01:12 pm
@farmerman,
They needed some poorly done film to head out of the gate before the onslaught of truly awful (yet less awful than Godzilla) summer movies hit the theaters and figured that tossing in the currently still poplylar Bryan Cranston they'd at least make a few dollars before the viewing public figured out the film sucked more than a cheap hooker out earning rent money.
0 Replies

darthtig

Reply Sat 17 May, 2014 02:14 pm
@farmerman,
Will be the new generation's Godzilla. My Godzilla was back in the 1990's with Matthew Broderick.
Kids these days are most likely not going to watch my Godzilla movie.

They remade Robocop, rebooted Spiderman... timing.
Entertainment for the newbies.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 17 May, 2014 02:28 pm
Even as a kid I liked everyday life type movies better - not syrupy, so much as stories I was interested in. So.. of the many type big animal movies, the only one I ever saw, by no choice of my own at the time, was Mighty Joe Young, the 1949 one. Don't ask me what it was about! I probably saw it in '50. Huh, I just read the imdb on it, and I recognize the original story writer's name - my dad knew Merian Cooper.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0041650/

So, having just read the imdb with the story, I might like the movie now, 65 years later. Off to Netflix I go.
0 Replies

darthtig

Reply Sat 17 May, 2014 02:33 pm
=)

Thanks Netflix!

Have a great day!
ossobuco

Reply Sat 17 May, 2014 02:35 pm
@darthtig,
By the way, darthtig, welcome to a2k.
axpert

Reply Sat 17 May, 2014 02:40 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Same here well more so Zombies and vampires genre.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 17 May, 2014 02:47 pm
@darthtig,
I dunno. Gozilla was, IMHO, NEVER a good movie. The Jpanese version with the doofus reporter Steve martin was about as preachy and idiotic as listening to Sarah Palin.
Matthew Broderick was a dumb concept with CGI tricks ('cf Ragman re: "we don't need no steenking plot").

axpert

Reply Sat 17 May, 2014 02:51 pm
Iam a moderate fan of the Godzilla franchise. The Broderick one was just awful. Ticket sales in the US where a little short of what they wanted. However, merchandising and international ticket sales were favorable. I do not know how good this one has turned out. Im hearing this one is pretty good. Still i wonder how many of todays kids will go watch it. The Broderick Zilla derailed the franchise that any sequels where canned. To answer your question yes i do believe a new one should be made to resurrect the near dead franchise and introduce him to a new audience, just as godzilla 1985 did for me. Especially since the last one tarnished it so bad. (ps most of the statements are based that im hearing the movie is pretty good)
0 Replies

darthtig

Reply Sat 17 May, 2014 02:56 pm
@ossobuco,
Thank you for your welcome!
Greatly appreciated and very nice to meet you!
0 Replies

darthtig

Reply Sat 17 May, 2014 02:58 pm
@farmerman,
I've never seen the Japanese version of Godzilla.

The Godzilla with Matthew Broderick was the one I ever knew because I was 6 at the time. Razz I liked it, didn't understand the plot but it was the Godzilla I knew in my lifetime.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 17 May, 2014 08:44 pm
A Time Magazine review entitled "We're off the see the Lizard" pans it broadly saying that any time the two minute trailer is really good, it's a good bet it's better than the movie.

Joe(so true with this one)Nation
farmerman

Reply Sun 18 May, 2014 04:21 am
@Joe Nation,
so, you went to see it?

Ive been all Godzilla'd up with that Mathew Broderick POS. It was really a laugher.
We just streamed "Monument Men" on Netflix and I gotta say that the trailers for this one were better than the movie. e streamed "Walter MItty" the other night and found it charming (after a really slow start that had us considering turning it off.). The fotography in HD was really good AND, THERE WAS A STORY, NO ****!! AN ACTUAL STORY AMONG THE CGI.
farmerman

Reply Sun 18 May, 2014 04:25 am
@farmerman,
The original Goh-zirra was an example of a nascent Japanese post war film industry. It was a doctored up by clipping in Raymond Burr and was loaded with toy movie scenes and a guy in a rubber lizard suit.
I was like 8 years old and I saw ALL the silly Godzilla and Mothra and Crab Cako, and all the other monsters that went into production for about 5 yars. Cheesy silly enjoyable entertainment (AND, there were several cartoons shown on Saturday afternoon for 50 cents)
0 Replies