IS THERE A GOOD REASON FOR A NEW GODZILLA?

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 22 May, 2014 01:34 pm
@farmerman,
I think Alien was multi-dimensional...and pretty much was outside the mold. The follow ups were okay also...and the "monster" may have the life span of Frankenstein.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Thu 22 May, 2014 02:00 pm
Quote:
Farmerman said re monster flicks: I think the desired demographic for these I roughly 11 to 15 year old

Yeah, I can't believe A2K's "adults" have started this thread about a silly overgrown chicken, maybe A2K has degenerated into a kiddies schoolyard ..Wink
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 22 May, 2014 02:02 pm
http://awesomegifs.com/wp-content/uploads/no.gif
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Thu 22 May, 2014 04:33 pm
I have been hoping for remakes of my two favorite flicks, which are "Billy the Kid Meets Dracula," and "The Apple Dumpling Gang."

They just don't make movies like that anymore.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 22 May, 2014 08:14 pm
I was talking to a young woman today who went to see Godzilla with a guy friend.

She said "That's 2 hours I'll never get back"
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 22 May, 2014 08:22 pm
@chai2,
Maybe today is the day that the movie makes more money than it did the day before. It has not happened as of now.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 23 May, 2014 03:26 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Maybe today is the day that the movie makes more money than it did the day before. It has not happened as of now.

Nope, thurs was the 6th consecutive day with sales being below the day before. It increasingly looks likely that this movie will have a second week-end drop of more than 60%, which will indicate that it was not well received. For comparison Spiderman which is at 53% on Rotten Tomatoes fell 61.2 on its second weekend. A more than 60% drop for Godzilla would be even worse because this is one of the top movie week-ends of the year, and MAy 9-11 was not.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Fri 23 May, 2014 04:35 pm
Beats me why people go to cinemas anyway; I haven't been since I went to see "Mysterious Island" in 1963.
I mean, who wants to sit surrounded by noisy smelly people anyway, let alone have the hassle of travelling to and from the cinema?
I bought 'Gravity' on DVD last week for peanuts (£10/16 US dollars) and have watched it twice so far in the peace of my own home..Smile
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 23 May, 2014 04:52 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
I increasingly dont go, and not having anything I want to see is only part of why. I have a decent surround sound system and a big digital tv so the little screens at the mega-plex dont impress. Back before the screens went digital I would often sit through movies that were on damaged film, which probably had been mishandled since they were only a few weeks old. Rude customers who insist on talking and punk ass employees dont help. Post great recession $5.50 cokes and $7.50 popcorns piss me the **** off. A recent problem I am finding is that no one seems to be upstairs minding the store, promos tend to be at a sound that is way off, and sometimes the movie too. A couple of years ago I sat in a movie that one could barely hear for the first 20 minutes until someone tracked down an employee who could fix it. I have a hard time paying $20 for an experience that used to be better, when the ones providing the experience dont seem to care about anything other than taking the most money out of my pocket that they can get away with.

RANT OVER

I go if there is something that requires a big screen (like Avatar), or if my kids want to see something as a family event. We usually go get pizza/beer too and make a multi hour thing out of it.
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Fri 23 May, 2014 05:03 pm
@hawkeye10,
Another thing about having a DVD at home is that you can switch on its subtitles so you don't miss a word that might be mumbled, and you can also pause it anytime for a tea break, or rewind/fast forward/ slomo it etc, wow what tremendous power..Smile
Oh and you can also take screenshots off the screen with your digicam to post in discussion forums like I did with these 'Gravity' shots-

Poor Sandy Bullock is left drifting helplessly in space after high-velocity orbiting debris shoots the Shuttle out from under her..
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/Grav2_zps259c693e.jpg~original

..and wonders how the heck she's going to get back to dear old Mother Earth.
Hmm tricky one...
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/Grav1_zps31d9e15f.jpg~original
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 23 May, 2014 05:05 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
I cant see the point in watching Gravity on the TV, the only thing good about that movie was the visuals, which you need to see big to really appreciate.
farmerman

Reply Fri 23 May, 2014 05:09 pm
@hawkeye10,
agreed. Gravity was strong on visuals (and 3D imAx was spectacular). We also watched it at home and it was Home-hum.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 23 May, 2014 05:12 pm
by MOVIE CRITIC ASSASSINS
WEEKEND PREDICTION
Quote:
2. Godzilla ($48 million) - The king of monsters will post a strong second weekend. Audience reaction is very positive, and the film's core fan base is enjoying the fun. With such positive results, film already has a sequel in the works.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywood/2014/05/22/Box-Office-Predictions-X-Men-To-Post-Summer-s-Biggest-Opening-Godzilla-Roars-Again

WOW, that is over $10 million more than what I expect. We shall see.
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Fri 23 May, 2014 05:12 pm
@hawkeye10,
I watched Gravity on my smallish average 22" widescreen and the visuals still blew my socks off..Wink
99 percent of the film was all about drifting around in that totally hostile space environment, and there were even some deep spiritual overtones thrown in (which would be lost on many people) so overall I'd rate the film highly, both for the fantastic visuals and the spiritual themes.
Of course, people can stick with Godzilla if they prefer..Wink

PS-SPOILER ALERT...
Clooney had a great entertaining dialogue chemistry with Bullock and my only criticism of the film is that he was written out far too early
farmerman

Reply Fri 23 May, 2014 05:24 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Gravity was only about visuals. HOWEVER, seeing it in 3D IMAX. HOLY ****!! It was a heart stopper
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 23 May, 2014 05:26 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Gravity was only about visuals. HOWEVER, seeing it in 3D IMAX. HOLY ****!! It was a heart stopper

IMAX here too, worth it but only once. Did Avatar in IMAX four times.
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Fri 23 May, 2014 05:34 pm
Quote:
Farmerman said: Gravity was only about visuals..

Like I said, its spiritual aspects will be lost on many people..Wink
SPOILER ALERT-
For example Bullock had lost a young daughter in an accident years before, and possibly lost her faith because of it.
At one point in space she she wants to pray for help but mumbles to herself and to God- "I don't know how".
Yet when she splashes down safely on earth she says-
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/Grav3_zps5cf27a7d.jpg~original

as if she realised God was rooting for her all the time because he knew she wanted to make the connection with him..
"Come near to God and he will come near to you" (James 4:8)
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 23 May, 2014 05:34 pm
@hawkeye10,
part of the problem with Gravity was the sheer overwhelming nature of the visuals. It was a solid ride of epinephrine for almost 2 hours.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 23 May, 2014 05:47 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

part of the problem with Gravity was the sheer overwhelming nature of the visuals. It was a solid ride of epinephrine for almost 2 hours.

I got bored...."Not this **** yet again!" I thought all of that great tech skill, that beautiful outerspace look that they now can get on the screen, was wasted by a dreadful script. 2010 was able to communicate the emptiness of space without being boring, so I dont excuse it.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 03:27 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
I cant see the point in watching Gravity on the TV, the only thing good about that movie was the visuals, which you need to see big to really appreciate.

I heard that Gravity's depiction of orbital movement was an atrocity against physics.