IS THERE A GOOD REASON FOR A NEW GODZILLA?

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 18 May, 2014 07:47 am
@Ragman,
We don't need no stincking plot, all we need is a product tie-in: McDonald's? Burger King? Someone! Anyone!
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 18 May, 2014 10:51 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:
But, but, but..it's in 3-D and all...maybe in I-MAX, too.

Only Digital faux-IMAX, not proper 70mm film IMAX.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 19 May, 2014 12:22 pm
Quote:
IS THERE A GOOD REASON FOR A NEW GODZILLA?

The opening weekend box office total was 93.2 million dollars.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 19 May, 2014 01:08 pm
Godzilla is the tabula rasa of our time; the media in which our greatest hopes and fears are projected and made real for the big screen. How can you doubt the need for a new movie?
farmerman

Reply Mon 19 May, 2014 03:33 pm
@engineer,
I was merely asking for a reason why must this happen. Why couldnt they have waited till I was dead?
ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 May, 2014 03:51 pm
@farmerman,
made me laugh
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Mon 19 May, 2014 05:48 pm
How anybody can be scared by a thing like Godzilla beats me!
They don't make real horror like they used to, check out this clip from 'The Stone Tape' of an electronics research team in a haunted house trying to trigger a ghost to appear .
At one point the computer seems to be warning them their souls are in danger by printing out disjointed words like "...pray....soul....pray...prayer..."

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/CMSF/stone-tape-look.gif

SPOILER ALERT..........................
The ghost is that of a young Victorian maid who fell screaming to her death from some steps a century ago.
But the research team forget to ask themselves what exactly was it that made her scream and fall in the first place?..

FULL MOVIE-
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Mon 19 May, 2014 06:05 pm
(PS- ghost puts in its first appearance at 14 minutes)
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 19 May, 2014 06:11 pm
Yes, the advances in movie making argue for doing Godzilla again. Unfortunately I gather from the reviews they both forgot that they needed a good story and they also did not make such a great looking movie.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 19 May, 2014 06:18 pm
@farmerman,
Why not? The new movie is in fact a great one. Saw it in IMAX this Friday. It's an excellent movie and it cleansed the memory of the last failure back in 1998.

If you don't like the idea then don't see it. There are plenty of people who would appreciate a good story done well as this remake has already proven.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 19 May, 2014 06:25 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Godzilla is the tabula rasa of our time; the media in which our greatest hopes and fears are projected and made real for the big screen. How can you doubt the need for a new movie?

Thank you engineer. And the fact that it shattered the box office record for US monster movie ticket intake (and rightfully so) means the studio was correct in its attempt to revitalize the franchise.

Let's see. We have Emmy winning Bryan Cranston. We also have Oscar nominated actors Ken Watanabe, Sally Hawkins, and David Strathairn to support the cast. We have up and coming should-have-been-nominated actress, Elizabeth Olsen. The acting in the film is very solid (especially for a Hollywood action film).
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 19 May, 2014 06:27 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
Thank you engineer. And the fact that it shattered the box office record for US monster movie ticket intake (and rightfully so) means the studio was correct in its attempt to revitalize the franchise.

Does not mean that they did a good job with it, let's set what the second week drop off is. Increasingly these summer movies die fast, because they are thin.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 19 May, 2014 06:28 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Yes, the advances in movie making argue for doing Godzilla again. Unfortunately I gather from the reviews they both forgot that they needed a good story and they also did not make such a great looking movie.

Then you're likely hen pecking the reviews. The movie got a 73% on Rottentomatoes as well as a fair B+ from Cinemascope.
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/godzilla_2014/
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 19 May, 2014 06:34 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Increasingly these summer movies die fast, because they are thin.

Summer movies don't die fast because of their quality or lack thereof. They die because of the extreme level of seasonal competition. Godzilla will take a sharp hit next week because of its competition. X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014) is one of the most highly anticipated movies this summer. The studios cram so many blockbuster movies into the summer, it's like they blindly threw a few hundred thousand landmines in front of themselves with the scheduling. Now they have to navigate that schedule and hope they don't blow up their own box office intake when they're butting heads with other studios' up and coming blockbusters.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 19 May, 2014 06:34 pm
@tsarstepan,
73% is not all that great you know. It needs to have a good second week-end if this is going to work to reboot the franchise. So far the foreign take looks good, a little over $100 million for the week-end. Got to keep in mind that increasingly these summer movies are designed more for global sales than US sales, and since Godzilla is known far and wide it probably works so long as the movie is not a complete piece of crap, and you say that it is not.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 19 May, 2014 06:36 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

73% is not all that great you know. It needs to have a good second week-end if this is going to work to reboot the franchise. So far the foreign take looks good, a little over $100 billion for the week-end. Got to keep in mind that increasingly these summer movies are designed more for global sales than US sales, and since Godzilla is known far and wide it probably works so long as the movie is not a complete piece of crap.

Don't talk out of you tush please. They already announced the plans for a sequel:
Godzilla Sequel Gets Green-lighted For More Mass Destruction
http://smellslikescreenspirit.com/2014/05/godzilla-sequel-gets-green-lighted-for-more-mass-destruction/
Godzilla Sequel Underway After Huge Worldwide Opening
http://www.thehdroom.com/news/Godzilla-Sequel-Underway-After-Huge-Worldwide-Opening/14102
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 19 May, 2014 06:45 pm
@tsarstepan,
there was a 17% drop from friday to saturday, which makes me think this is going to me like the Hobbit trilogy , a money maker but not like it should have been because they did not make great movies to start the franchise.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 20 May, 2014 02:37 am
@hawkeye10,
38.6 fri, 32 sat, 22.6 sun ($million)......does not look good for this movie having legs. Selling movie #2 is going to be a lot harder then selling #1.
farmerman

Reply Tue 20 May, 2014 04:58 am
@hawkeye10,
you and Tsar read like Siskel and Ebert. You should think about doing a movie review blog. Tsar does the stuff with statistics and data and you talk out of your ass.
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 20 May, 2014 06:39 am
The new Godzilla should amuse the kiddies I suppose..Wink
0 Replies