IS THERE A GOOD REASON FOR A NEW GODZILLA?

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 03:31 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

hawkeye10 wrote:
I cant see the point in watching Gravity on the TV, the only thing good about that movie was the visuals, which you need to see big to really appreciate.

I heard that Gravity's depiction of orbital movement was an atrocity against physics.

I saw a list of errors once, the only two I can remember are sound where there could be no sound and a body went from alive to rock hard frozen meat in a couple seconds, which is way wrong.

EDIT: there was something too about the Clooney character drifting in space, a major part of the plot was him deciding that he needed to die to save the girl, but it was all BS, because the physics were wrong.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 03:46 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

by MOVIE CRITIC ASSASSINS
WEEKEND PREDICTION
Quote:
2. Godzilla ($48 million) - The king of monsters will post a strong second weekend. Audience reaction is very positive, and the film's core fan base is enjoying the fun. With such positive results, film already has a sequel in the works.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywood/2014/05/22/Box-Office-Predictions-X-Men-To-Post-Summer-s-Biggest-Opening-Godzilla-Roars-Again

WOW, that is over $10 million more than what I expect. We shall see.

Boxofficemozo is just over my estimate

Quote:
Forecast (May 23-25)
1. X-Men - $98 million ($119 million four-day)
2. Godzilla - $38.2 million (-59%)
3. Blended - $23 million ($29 million four-day)
4. Neighbors - $15.3 million (-39%)
5. Spider-Man - $9.2 million (-45%)

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3846&p=.htm
farmerman

Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 05:10 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:

I heard that Gravity's depiction of orbital movement was an atrocity against physics

I was impressed at how they showed us conservation of momentum during the many collisions. I will now have to stream it from Netflix and see hether I could note anything improper.

Of corse the obvious ones were , ever time a collision occurred, there was this huge sound track explosion or crunch sound. I think that was just artistic license to enable us humans to relate with all our senses
eurocelticyankee

Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 05:34 am
@hawkeye10,
Harsh harsh harsh, Gravity was excellent, a roller-coaster ride.

Also George Clooney doesn't drift, he glides. tut tut

The only reason I can see for a new Godzilla is to spread more tinnitus around the world. If it's anything like the last one 1998.
I felt shell-shocked leaving the cinema.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQRITD3ZEh21FebmGckqr9Uv2VFxgwNi3bq8MrafjqAge3XeKrj8A
Recommended
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 05:51 am
@farmerman,

hawkeye10 wrote:
I saw a list of errors once, the only two I can remember are sound where there could be no sound and a body went from alive to rock hard frozen meat in a couple seconds, which is way wrong.

EDIT: there was something too about the Clooney character drifting in space, a major part of the plot was him deciding that he needed to die to save the girl, but it was all BS, because the physics were wrong.

farmerman wrote:
I was impressed at how they showed us conservation of momentum during the many collisions. I will now have to stream it from Netflix and see hether I could note anything improper.

Of corse the obvious ones were , ever time a collision occurred, there was this huge sound track explosion or crunch sound. I think that was just artistic license to enable us humans to relate with all our senses

My understanding is that the movie acted like everything was in the same orbital plane, just at different altitudes -- sort of like the planets orbiting the sun in the same plane.

But in reality the different orbits look more like a cloud of electrons going every which way around an atom. One orbit might go directly above the equator. Another orbit might be at right angles to that and go over the poles. Other orbits might be somewhere in between "going over the poles" and "staying above the equator".

Orbits going at different angles would only cross near each other at two specific spots. And while both objects would cross the other's orbit quite often, it would only be an occasional occurrence for them to cross simultaneously and actually pass within sight of each other. And when that did happen, they would only be close for a few seconds as they zoomed past each other in different directions.

Also, even if everything was actually orbiting in the same plane as if it were a mini solar system, changing orbits would be far more complicated than what they depicted.

Low orbits go faster, and high orbits go slower. Reaching an object at a different altitude takes a lot more than simply "pointing at the object and turning on your thrusters".

I guess if you only wanted to reach the same orbit as a space station, but didn't care if you ended up a thousand miles ahead of it or a thousand miles behind it, you could simply point at it and turn on your thrusters. But don't expect to be anywhere near the space station when you reach the correct orbit if that is what you do.
farmerman

Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 07:48 am
@oralloy,
well, that was true. ALL the nations "space stations" were in essentially the same plane. This was probably needed so that we wouldn't hve to be bored with the necessary maneuvers to bring these stations togetjer so that Sandra Bullock could dock.

I consider that n artistic license also. Not so much an "error" of physics
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 10:01 am
Quote:
Hawkeye said re Gravity:..a dreadful script.
Oralloy said: I heard that Gravity's depiction of orbital movement was an atrocity against physics.

It just shows how people's opinions differ..Smile
I thought the script was great, and I could easily live with the physics thing, the director openly admits he had to cut corners to keep the storyline going.
Astronauts generally liked it too-

WIKI- "According to NASA Astronaut Michael J. Massimino "nothing was out of place, nothing was missing. There was a one-of-a-kind wirecutter we used on one of my spacewalks and sure enough they had that wirecutter in the movie."[94]
Astronaut Buzz Aldrin called the visual effects "remarkable", and said, "I was so extravagantly impressed by the portrayal of the reality of zero gravity. Going through the space station was done just the way that I've seen people do it in reality"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_(film)

Like I said, the films subtleness will be missed by a lot of people sitting in a noisy cinema, but I've got it on DVD and have watched it twice so far in the peace of my home.
For example there's another good bit in this pic, because earlier Bullock had said "I hate space!" and when she splashes back to earth she digs her fingers into the muddy sand because she realises how precious and beautiful the Earth is compared to the terrible emptiness of space-
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/gravity-2_zps206c1270.jpg~original
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 12:16 pm
boxofficemojo's Friday estimate has the box office down 77% from week before, a dreadful performance and even worse than I predicted.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 12:23 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Quote:
Astronauts generally liked it too-

at this point astronauts are thrilled with the novelty of someone taking an interest in what they do. The primary reason the maned flight program has died out is that the public lost interest. Once the space station is gone, which will probably be within a few years, we have no plans to put humans into space. And the space station is boring, does not do much, and was a political exercise that has outlived its usefulness.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 02:25 pm

'Godzilla': The secrets behind the roar
http://popwatch.ew.com/2014/05/22/godzilla-roar-interview-timeline-video/
farmerman

Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 07:45 pm
@tsarstepan,
Damn I didn't see the movie where Godzilla was makin whoop ass on those giant hedgehogs. He did some kung foo.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 07:53 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Quote:
the films subtleness
The plot was kind of a train wreck, but so was Sharknado. The CGI and other effects (they did some matte painting to get that extra sense of deep space and they used actual fotos of earth from space that actually induced vertigo in the theater. but sublety, I don't think so. Ive seen it in both Imax 3D and on a Dlu Ray on our home big screen which is only a 42 inch but the home version did NOT improve the plot. In fact, the whole reason for so watching was quickly lost on us. We will sell the DVD at a YARD SALE we have planned for the July 4th weekend.
farmerman

Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 08:04 pm
@farmerman,
I want to see a remake of Winchester 73, the Jimmy Stewart movie where he does a dark character study s the good guy. This movie also hd the earliest appearances of Rock Hudson, Tony Curtis, and James Best (better remembered as Roscoe P Coltrane in the original Dukes of Hazard)

Id also like to see a remake of The Searchers, Inherit the Wind, and The VAlley of Gwangi (just because the first one was a disappointment to me ) ray Harryhausen needed some new technology besides clay mation
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 25 May, 2014 02:32 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

hawkeye10 wrote:

by MOVIE CRITIC ASSASSINS
WEEKEND PREDICTION
Quote:
2. Godzilla ($48 million) - The king of monsters will post a strong second weekend. Audience reaction is very positive, and the film's core fan base is enjoying the fun. With such positive results, film already has a sequel in the works.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywood/2014/05/22/Box-Office-Predictions-X-Men-To-Post-Summer-s-Biggest-Opening-Godzilla-Roars-Again

WOW, that is over $10 million more than what I expect. We shall see.

Boxofficemozo is just over my estimate

Quote:
Forecast (May 23-25)
1. X-Men - $98 million ($119 million four-day)
2. Godzilla - $38.2 million (-59%)
3. Blended - $23 million ($29 million four-day)
4. Neighbors - $15.3 million (-39%)
5. Spider-Man - $9.2 million (-45%)

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3846&p=.htm

Boxofficemojo has the weekend estimate below $32 million with a weekend drop over 66%. This is a complete disaster, this movie is now officially a flop. Marketing did their job well, but the movie sucked.
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sun 25 May, 2014 05:20 pm
Just to clarify, I've HATED the space program from day one when the USA and Russia had a 'space race' going purely to try to outdo the other for sickening national prestige.
Both sides fired animals into space, notably the russian dog 'Laika' which was left to die up there when her oxygen ran out.
The Apollo program was a total waste of cash, and the different nations space stations are just as useless, so are the billion-dollar probes to other planets.
But now and again something worthwhile comes out of the space progs such as communications satellites and so on.
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Sun 25 May, 2014 08:47 pm
A good reason for a new godzilla? How can anyone even ask this question...of course there is.
It is only by the study of this large reptile through repeated films that we will be prepared if and when we will actually have to deal with such a monster. Think of it as "modeling" like we do for the weather or "global warming". Or better yet like the military does when they have war games. If we are caught unaware the consequences could be catastrophic. Think of the lives that may be saved...maybe even your own! I for one applaud these forward thinkers who postulate possible scenarios on film so that we can assess their efficacy in dealing with this crytozoolgical nightmare.
And everyone should immediately go forth and buy a FIAT to thank that company for aiding this noble cause and getting the word out in an effort to make this venture a rousing sucess!
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 25 May, 2014 09:04 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Boxofficemojo has the weekend estimate below $32 million with a weekend drop over 66%. This is a complete disaster, this movie is now officially a flop. Marketing did their job well, but the movie sucked.

You're an abject idiot who literally doesn't know what he is talking about.

Quote:
Still, “Godzilla” has taken in $156 million domestically and more than $300 million in just two weekends.

http://www.thewrap.com/x-men/
It's budget is $160 million.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0831387/business

Even if the marketing budget is another $160 million? Worst case scenario, it breaks even by next week. From there on in it will be making a profit. Then the studio can take into the books, merchandising profits as well as on demand profits and DVD sales and TV rights. That by definition ISN'T a flop.

Once again, you open your mouth and nonsense comes out.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 25 May, 2014 09:18 pm
@tsarstepan,
This is a movie that cost $160M to make, has $80-100M sunk into marketing, that is dying at the box office fast. I would not be shocked if they kill the franchise. At the very least they will slash the budget for the next movie like they did for the last pirate movie.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Mon 26 May, 2014 03:23 pm
Incidentally I wouldn't read too much into box-office figures for a film, they're probably faked by the studios anyway
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 26 May, 2014 04:25 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Ya, they just bumped up the estimate by $7M....ae shall see what that actual count is tomorrow.