IS THERE A GOOD REASON FOR A NEW GODZILLA?

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 27 May, 2014 01:32 pm
@hawkeye10,
OK, I see what they did....$31.1M is the fri-sun take and $39.4M is fri-mon

the Fri-sun drop is 66.6%, the fri-mon drop is 60.9%....keeping in mind that the second mon was a holiday and thus generally a great box office day.

No matter how you cut it it is more than 60% drop for the second week, dud territory.
rosborne979

Reply Tue 27 May, 2014 05:08 pm
I saw Godzilla on Sunday. I thought it was good but not great. But I also don't think there's really a whole lot you can do with a "giant monster" movie, so in that sense it was probably just about as good as they could make it.

In comparison, I downloaded The Lego movie for my daughter and we've been watching it over and over again, and it's superb in multiple ways.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 27 May, 2014 05:21 pm
@rosborne979,
The Lego movie is my second favorite movie I seen this year. Twas indeed a wonderful surprise! Very Happy
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 27 May, 2014 05:27 pm
@rosborne979,
They could have taken it camp, sci-fi, made it a path of the hero movie...just three ideas. It did not need to be a formula big budget summer action flix.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 27 May, 2014 07:20 pm
@rosborne979,
I sorta liked the follow-up Godzilla movies where he became a superhero and would ninja chop the giant bugs .
How about a godxzilla movie where he suffers a crisi in identity and tried to be really friendly bit no one bought it, so he triws to commit suicide until some kids come and lead him to a life f fullfilment
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 27 May, 2014 11:29 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

OK, I see what they did....$31.1M is the fri-sun take and $39.4M is fri-mon

the Fri-sun drop is 66.6%, the fri-mon drop is 60.9%....keeping in mind that the second mon was a holiday and thus generally a great box office day.

No matter how you cut it it is more than 60% drop for the second week, dud territory.

actual numbers are in, the 4 day drop was 61.9%...AKA really horrible, monday most certainly did not save the long week-end. Still waiting on the foreign numbers, and while they could save the rep of the movie it is not likely. The japanese are already not happy based on the trailers and it has not even been released there yet.

come to think of it the reason it is released late in Japan had to be because the studio knew this movie sucked, and they wanted to try to milk the other markets as much as possible while they could claim that the japanese had not even seen the movie so we should ignore their criticism.

SMART! Props for how well the studio did with this turkey.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 27 May, 2014 11:47 pm
@hawkeye10,
For those wondering how this works, the first week is all about marketing and the appetite for the premise of the movie and the people in it. The second week tells what people really think of the movie...do they see it again? Do they recommend it to their friends? Is it getting good social media buzz?

While second weeks have been getting progressively worse over the years because the movies have not been particularly good and because hollywood is making too many movies (as tsarstepan says about movies getting pushed out) the current guideline is that if you see a second week drop of more than 60% you are in trouble. If the second weekend is a heavy book office weekend like this last one is you really dont want to see a weekend drop off more than 56-57%.

I think we now know why this movie was not scheduled during peak summer boxoffice, it is not very good, the studio has better movies ready to go. The plan here was promote the hell out of this dud and try to get every dollar possible the first weekend before people figured out that it sucks. We kinda knew it sucks when every day the box office shrunk that first week-end, but now we know for sure. The box office is the vote, the reviews and the first weekend are the campaign, it is the box office the matters.

tsarstepan might well come on and claim that I dont know what I am talking about, but that is all BS because he does not like my political views. He should keep his mouth shut before he does more harm to his credibility as a movie expert.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 29 May, 2014 04:59 pm
https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/t1.0-9/10157245_10152522898896264_5449670955174987742_n.jpg
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 29 May, 2014 07:11 pm
@Region Philbis,
Domestically, Godzilla is fourth biggest film this year in the US.

Maleficent (2014) and A Million Ways to Die in the West (2014) are both opening this weekend. I don't see either of them knocking X-Men or Godzilla off their first two positions.

Godzilla will likely surpass The Amazing Spiderman with its $200 million dollar budget this weekend.
http://i59.tinypic.com/2zeez49.jpg
http://i57.tinypic.com/6joprn.jpg

We have two more countries for Godzilla to be released into:
China 13 June 2014
Japan 25 July 2014

Even if it bombs in Japan and I bet it will be quite successful, the Chinese market will definitely bring blockbuster numbers by themselves.

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 31 May, 2014 05:43 am
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2014 01:00 pm
http://i60.tinypic.com/8x7txg.jpg
http://www.theonion.com/articles/guaranteed-green-card,36168/
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2014 04:35 pm

GODZILLA: THE MUSICAL!
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2014 07:47 pm
I just saw Edge of Tomorrow. I thought it was very good, best sci-fi movie I've seen in quite a while. Very well done aliens, good characters, reasonably intelligent, and funny.
giujohn

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2014 07:51 pm
@rosborne979,
Except that it had Tom Cruise in it.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2014 11:56 am
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2014 08:14 pm
@giujohn,
giujohn wrote:
Except that it had Tom Cruise in it.

I don't know Tom Cruise personally, but I've seen him do some silly things on the Oprah show. But he does seem to spend a lot of time making action and sci-fi movies that I like. In this particular movie his character was very different and I enjoyed the portrayal.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2014 04:24 am
Quote:
Globally, Godzilla crossed the $400 million mark over the weekend, finishing Sunday with a total $429.6 million, including $248.3 million internationally.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-22-jump-street-711966
farmerman

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2014 05:53 am
@tsarstepan,
Not too bad I guess. What is a decent profit turnaround percentage based on Costs v income?

Hawkee seems invested to have thi film fail and you are similarly INVESTED IN ITS SUCCESS. iM JUST CURIOUS, why would film makers gamble their reps on a big budget version of this franchise?

Movie making(to me) seems to be as conservative a creative act as banking
farmerman

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2014 05:54 am
@rosborne979,
I really loved the movie "COLLATERAL" with Tom Phooze and Jamie Foxx. It was a nail biter and a clever story line.

He even sort of fit his role as this very organized hit man.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2014 06:14 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Hawkee seems invested to have thi film fail and you are similarly INVESTED IN ITS SUCCESS. iM JUST CURIOUS,

I have no investment in this movie's success. It was a good movie that was made well. I was just providing facts to counter someone who clearly didn't know what he was talking about (Hawkeye). He was declaring a failure before the numbers came in. Just like declaring a patient is dead before he goes into surgery for a mere equivalent to a hangnail operation and clearly the patient is presently breathing fine and has a healthy blood pressure.

Was it a monster blockbuster? Nope. Is it a financial dud? Nope.

Quote:
why would film makers gamble their reps on a big budget version of this franchise?

Where have you been? It's been a trend of Hollywood for the past couple of decades. The studios are clearly taking advantage of the next generation of cinema technology: CGI, 4K movie screens, latest generation sound systems, etc.... Clearly its a case of opportunism.

You might fairly suggest that rehashing a famous character is creativity cowardice that Hollywood is actually less risk adverse when gambling with their reps when they reboot a given well know franchise. It takes more guts to create a new big budget franchise where the public doesn't know the basic story and aren't familiar with the characters.

There is less of a gamble when they reboot old successes. That's both a good thing and definitely a bad thing. A good thing when they can take their successes and use the profits to create smaller/lower profile features. A bad thing when these lower profile features get overshadowed by their big brother blockbusters. But at least they are being made.
0 Replies