My first choice for the next President

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2013 05:48 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Who was the last Republican you voted for Frank.

Ronald Reagan. I do regret that vote.

Me, too. Reagan was the worst possible man for the job at that point in history.
panzade

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2013 08:23 pm
When I saw this editorial by Judge Napolitano it really depressed me. And it really made me think.
BTW, he was fired from Fox shortly after.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2013 08:31 pm
@panzade,
Thanks, panz.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2013 08:35 pm
@edgarblythe,
Worst possible man for the job, Ed, pshaw! Reagan put the position of war criminal/terrorist back in its rightful place, the White House. He made Americans proud of themselves again as he protected them from the dangerous Nicaraguans.

If you hadn't had Reagan you'd all be speaking Nicaraguan and working on banana plantations.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2013 08:39 pm
@JTT,
My opinion of the man could not be lower.
JTT

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2013 09:23 pm
@edgarblythe,
Is your opinion of Reagan the equivalent of your opinion of Hitler?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2013 05:12 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Me, too. Reagan was the worst possible man for the job at that point in history.

I allowed my anger at Carter to overrule my common sense that time, Edgar. I realized my error during the first year of his tenure. I've never voted for a Republican since...and probably never will.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2013 05:55 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

edgarblythe wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

I allowed my anger at Carter to overrule my common sense that time, Edgar. I realized my error during the first year of his tenure. I've never voted for a Republican since...and probably never will.

I based my vote on the same error.
IRFRANK

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2013 07:12 am
@panzade,
Quote:
When I saw this editorial by Judge Napolitano it really depressed me. And it really made me think.
BTW, he was fired from Fox shortly after.

A lot of truth and it resonates with many of us. I'm not sure why Ron Paul would be different. The whole thing is too big. I say break up the USA into 7 smaller countries. Power to the people.

It all started with the invention of money.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2013 08:43 am
Americans are also hampered because the Big Two (Reps/Dems) dominate politics, so the voters choices are limited.
Here in Britain, although our politics are currently dominated by a Big Three (Labour/Conservative/LibDem) there are also a couple of smaller rightwing "firebrand" parties (UKIP and the BNP) that have got the Big Three running scared.
As far as I know, America hasn't got any smaller firebrand parties, hence US politics is somewhat stagnated because the Reps/Dems rule the roost.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2013 08:46 am
IrFrank said- "I say break up the USA into 7 smaller countries"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yep it could work..Smile
Dialog from "Mississippi Burning"-
Sheriff- "Simple fact is, Anderson, we got two cultures down here, white culture and a coloured culture.
That's the way it always has been, that's the way it always will be"
Gene Hackman- "The rest of America don't see it that way."
Sheriff- "The rest of America don't mean jack ****, you in Mississippi now."
Hackman- "Oh, that's for sure!"

PS- I think the South messed up by firing on Fort Sumter and marching on Washington; they should have simply announced secession and left it at that instead of starting a bloody civil war..Wink
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2013 05:07 pm
@Frank Apisa,
So you voted for a Republican simply because you were "mad" at the Democrat, and intend to never again vote for a Republican.

Yeah, you're an Independent.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2013 05:16 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

So you voted for a Republican simply because you were "mad" at the Democrat, and intend to never again vote for a Republican.

Yeah, you're an Independent.

Yes, Finn! And a registered one at that.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2013 05:25 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I understand why it makes you feel good to call yourself an Independent, and I guess the card you carry helps you preserve the fiction, but you're not independent in terms of party preference.

If I registered as a Democrat tomorrow, I think we would all agree that I probably couldn't be considered one.

More to the point, you're not even a "centrist."

If you think you are take a look at the latest edition of Esquire.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2013 05:34 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

I understand why it makes you feel good to call yourself an Independent, and I guess the card you carry helps you preserve the fiction, but you're not independent in terms of party preference.

If I registered as a Democrat tomorrow, I think we would all agree that I probably couldn't be considered one.

More to the point, you're not even a "centrist."

If you think you are take a look at the latest edition of Esquire.

There is no way I am a centrist...and I have never claimed to be one.

As I say in my bio...on a continuum with Liberal at 1 and Conservative at 10...I can be found at about position "P."

I will continue to support candidates who are more likely than their opponents to support, strengthen and expand safety net programs...

...which means I most assuredly am not going to vote for any Republicans.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2013 05:37 pm
@Frank Apisa,
You're one of the two liberals in the world?
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2013 06:13 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

You're one of the two liberals in the world?

Huh???
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2013 06:53 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Is your opinion of Reagan the equivalent of your opinion of Hitler?

Don't you think the comparison is apt, Ed?
revelette

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 07:17 am
@JTT,
Reagan was hardly my favorite person, but to compare to Hitler is just plain disrespectful to those who died and the survivors and the relations of those same. According to this website, about 11 million people were killed during the Holocaust.

Holocaust Facts

JTT

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 08:50 am
@revelette,
And how many died during Reagan's short genocidal actions, Rev. While Reagan wasn't able to match Hitler's numbers he matched him in evil and in viciousness. I read recently where someone said that Nazi lite is still Nazi.

Quote:

THE SECRET WARS OF THE CIA:
part II
CIA COVERT OPERATIONS IN CENTRAL AMERICA, CIA MANIPULATION OF THE PRESS, CIA EXPERIMENTATION ON THE U.S. PUBLIC
by John Stockwell
a lecture given in October, 1987

If you want one example of hard proof of the CIA's involvement in this, and their approach to it, dig up `The Sabotage Manual', that they were circulating throughout Nicaragua, a comic-book type of a paper, with visual explanations of what you can do to bring a society to a halt, how you can gum up typewriters, what you can pour in a gas tank to burn up engines, what you can stuff in a sewage to stop up the sewage so it won't work, things you can do to make a society simply cease to function.

Systematically, the contras have been assassinating religious workers, teachers, health workers, elected officials, government administrators. You remember the assassination manual? that surfaced in 1984. It caused such a stir that President Reagan had to address it himself in the presidential debates with Walter Mondale. They use terror. This is a technique that they're using to traumatize the society so that it can't function.

I don't mean to abuse you with verbal violence, but you have to understand what your government and its agents are doing. They go into villages, they haul out families. With the children forced to watch they castrate the father, they peel the skin off his face, they put a grenade in his mouth and pull the pin. With the children forced to watch they gang-rape the mother, and slash her breasts off. And sometimes for variety, they make the parents watch while they do these things to the children.

This is nobody's propaganda. There have been over 100,000 American witnesses for peace who have gone down there and they have filmed and photographed and witnessed these atrocities immediately after they've happened, and documented 13,000 people killed this way, mostly women and children. These are the activities done by these contras. The contras are the people president Reagan calls `freedom fighters'. He says they're the moral equivalent of our founding fathers. And the whole world gasps at this confession of his family traditions.

http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/Stockwell/StockwellCIA87_2.html
0 Replies