My first choice for the next President

izzythepush

Reply Thu 5 Sep, 2019 06:54 am
@izzythepush,
It just gets worse for Johnson.

Quote:
Jo Johnson, the younger brother of Prime Minister Boris Johnson, is resigning as an MP and minister, saying he is "torn between family loyalty and the national interest".

The business minister and Tory MP for Orpington, south-east London, cited an "unresolvable tension" in his role.

Mr Johnson voted Remain in the 2016 EU membership referendum, while his brother co-led the Leave campaign.

He resigned as a minister last year in protest at Theresa May's Brexit deal.

But he re-entered government during the summer, after Conservative Party members elected his brother as leader.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49594793
revelette1

Reply Thu 5 Sep, 2019 09:50 am
Your system of government is interesting, but a little confusing for me to understand. I understand the House of the Lords and the House of the commons, sort of like our Senate and House of Representatives. I always (though I have had it explained to me numerus times; I beg not to try again LOL) get confused on how exactly votes gets counted in both your elections and government because there are so many parties.

It will be interesting to see how it all ends up, if Boris remains and if Bretix passes and ya'll are out of the EU. Pence was over there giving his two cents. Rolling Eyes

BTW, sorry about your cat. We had one to die of exactly the same thing after having it for years. My husband who is not a cat lover was really sad over it. His name was Castor Simon. (After a movie my girls watched at the time we got him.) We now have a new cat and a dog who oddly enough look alike.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 5 Sep, 2019 11:06 am
@revelette1,
We've just picked him up from the vets. It went well, but he's a very old cat, if it is aggressive cancer we may be talking palliative care, but he seems very good. Went straight to his feeding bowl when he got back.

The difference between the Commons and Lords is that the Commons is elected and democratic while the Lords are appointed like your supreme court. It used to be that all hereditary peers could sit, but Tony Blair brought in some reforms meaning only some hereditary peers could sit and they had to be voted by other hereditary peers so there is a small element of democracy.

It's quite good in that it means those hereditary peers who do sit are actually interested in politics. The rest are life peers, they are given the title Lord or Lady but it can't be passed on, it goes when they die. Life peers tend to be retired MPs, or people who have done great good. New ones are appointed every year.

It does mean the Commons has primacy. The commons drafts the law, the Lords then looks at it and adds possible amendments, it then goes back to the Commons for a second reading and if passed it becomes law.

The Queen, like your president is head of state. The prime minister is the leader of the biggest party in the Commons, a bit like if instead of having a president with executive powers you gave it all to the Speaker and the speaker acted as president.
revelette1

Reply Thu 5 Sep, 2019 12:24 pm
@izzythepush,
Thanks, I wondered how the prime minister became a prime minister. I knew it was different than our President, but never quite understood it. Never really understood the power of the Queen (or king as the might be some day.)Thanks for explaining. Guess we derailed this thread enough. Not much talked about though here anyway today.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 5 Sep, 2019 12:26 pm
@revelette1,
Things are moving quite quickly over here, we'll probably have at least one more general election before your next presidential one.
revelette1

Reply Thu 5 Sep, 2019 12:28 pm
@izzythepush,
Hmm, I am going to catch up on the news somewhere.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 5 Sep, 2019 03:36 pm
@revelette1,
The Guardian is very good. Definitely left of centre and it's still free.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk
That's the UK edition but you can click on the US one.

I sometimes read the Canary, but it can get a bit strong at times and is v left wing.

https://www.thecanary.co/
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2019 02:49 am
Nobody has complained so I'll keep posting updates here.

Quote:
MPs, including Tories expelled from the party, are preparing legal action in case the PM refuses to seek a delay to Brexit.

A bill requiring Boris Johnson to ask for an extension to the UK's departure date to avoid a no-deal Brexit on 31 October is set to gain royal assent.

But the PM has said he would "rather be dead in a ditch" than ask for a delay.

Now MPs have lined up a legal team and are willing to go to court to enforce the legislation, if necessary.

The cross-party bill - which requires the prime minister to extend the exit deadline until January unless Parliament agrees a deal with the EU by 19 October - was passed on Friday.

Although the government has said it will abide by the law, Mr Johnson described it as obliging him "in theory" to write to Brussels asking for a "pointless delay".

The Daily Telegraph reported that the prime minister said seeking another extension is "something I will never do", fuelling speculation that ministers could try to find a loophole.

The BBC has learned that a cross-party group of MPs have lined up a legal team and that they are prepared, if necessary, to go to court in order to try to compel Mr Johnson to seek a delay.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49618242

As the bill was passed in the Lords without any amendments it does not need to go back to the Commons for a second reading. It's now law.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2019 02:50 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Quote:

But the PM has said he would "rather be dead in a ditch"

Finally Johnson says something we can all agree on.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2019 01:24 pm
@livinglava,
Quote:
The Democrats are not a party of independent individuals. Rather they are a party of team-players who must submit to collective authority to be acceptable to the party. If you think that Democrats respect each others' independence to form their own opinions and stances on issues, try thinking for yourself and putting forth unique ideas and see how other Democrats respond.

They will tell you that you have to unite behind established party representatives because the primary goal has to be to outnumber Republicans and wrest power away from them.

The Republicans are not a party of independent individuals. Rather they are a party of team-players who must submit to collective authority to be acceptable to the party. If you think that Republicans respect each others' independence to form their own opinions and stances on issues, try thinking for yourself and putting forth unique ideas and see how other Republicans respond.

They will tell you that you have to unite behind established party representatives because the primary goal has to be to outnumber Democrats and wrest power away from them.
Lash

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2019 03:11 am
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:

Quote:
The Democrats are not a party of independent individuals. Rather they are a party of team-players who must submit to collective authority to be acceptable to the party. If you think that Democrats respect each others' independence to form their own opinions and stances on issues, try thinking for yourself and putting forth unique ideas and see how other Democrats respond.

They will tell you that you have to unite behind established party representatives because the primary goal has to be to outnumber Republicans and wrest power away from them.

The Republicans are not a party of independent individuals. Rather they are a party of team-players who must submit to collective authority to be acceptable to the party. If you think that Republicans respect each others' independence to form their own opinions and stances on issues, try thinking for yourself and putting forth unique ideas and see how other Republicans respond.

They will tell you that you have to unite behind established party representatives because the primary goal has to be to outnumber Democrats and wrest power away from them.

So, now that we’ve established that political parties have utterly perverted our country, let’s hang them all by the balls, elect Bernie Sanders president, and be guided by some semblance of human decency and intelligent stewardship of this planet.
Real Music

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2019 07:13 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
So, now that we’ve established that political parties have utterly perverted our country, let’s hang them all by the balls, elect Bernie Sanders president, and be guided by some semblance of human decency and intelligent stewardship of this planet.

Although, Bernie is NOT my first choice, I will definitely vote for him if he EARNS the nomination.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2019 04:42 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Boris Johnson’s suspension of the UK Parliament is unlawful, Scotland’s highest civil court has ruled.

A panel of three judges at the Court of Session found in favour of a cross-party group of politicians who were challenging the prime minister's move.

The judges said the PM was attempting to prevent Parliament holding the government to account ahead of Brexit.

The UK government said it will appeal against the ruling to the Supreme Court in London.

The Court of Session decision overturns an earlier ruling from the court, which said last week that Mr Johnson had not broken the law.

But it is currently unclear what impact the judgement will have on the current suspension of Parliament, which started in the early hours of Tuesday.

MPs are not scheduled to return to Parliament until 14 October, when there will be a Queen's Speech outlining Mr Johnson's legislative plans. The UK is due to leave the EU on 31 October.

In a summary of their findings, the Court of Session judges said they were unanimous in their belief that Mr Johnson was motivated by the "improper purpose of stymying Parliament".

They added: "The Court will accordingly make an Order declaring that the prime minister's advice to HM the Queen and the prorogation which followed thereon was unlawful and is thus null and of no effect."

The group of more than 70 largely pro-Remain MPs and peers behind the legal challenge were headed by SNP MP Joanna Cherry, who called for Parliament to be immediately reconvened following the ruling.

She added: "We feel utterly vindicated and I would be confident that the UK Supreme Court will uphold this decision."

The parliamentarians appealed to the Inner House of the Court of Session after their original challenge to the suspension of Parliament was dismissed by judge Lord Doherty last week.

Lord Doherty said Mr Johnson had not broken the law by proroguing Parliament, and that it was for MPs and the electorate to judge the prime minister's actions rather than the courts.

But the three Inner House judges said they disagreed with Lord Doherty's ruling because this particular prorogation had been a "tactic to frustrate Parliament" rather than a legitimate use of the power.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-49661855
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2019 07:17 am
Poll: Democrats Most Like Warren, But Voters Overall Are Lukewarm On Democrats, Trump
Quote:
Seventy-five percent of Democratic voters now say they have a favorable impression of Warren — that's up from 53% in January, the last time the poll asked the favorability of candidates or potential candidates. That's a whopping 22-point jump.
engineer

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2019 07:24 am
@tsarstepan,
I have to say Warren is getting pretty much all positive press even as she moves up to front runner status. I think she has all the momentum right now. I think Biden is going to get a surprise in New Hampshire. Not sure how Warren plays in South Carolina. I also think she has a lot of upside as Sanders voters start to see no path for him and start to shift over while I think Biden is pretty much at his ceiling.
revelette1

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2019 07:51 am
@engineer,
I hope so. I would love to see Warren and Trump debate. One thing she has going for her is that she won't come off as an "elite snob" condescending to Trump, but she will have answers vs. Trump who only has one liners and insults.
engineer

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2019 11:00 am
@revelette1,
I don't really think that matters with Trump. Clinton completely owned him for three debates and we saw what happened there. Trump voters are with him regardless.
georgeob1

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2019 11:26 am
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:

I hope so. I would love to see Warren and Trump debate. One thing she has going for her is that she won't come off as an "elite snob" condescending to Trump, but she will have answers vs. Trump who only has one liners and insults.

Perhaps. However she has proven herself very adept as a self-promoting hypocrite, who is sure she alone knows what is good for everyone else. Most thinking people are quick to detect those traits. I believe she would be sure looser as a Democrat Candidate.
RABEL222

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2019 12:15 pm
@georgeob1,
Trump has only the best interest of we u s voters. And of course his bottom line comes before anything.
georgeob1

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2019 01:09 pm
@RABEL222,
As a result of Trump's leadership our economy is doing very well for most citizens. Whatever may have been his motives for the Tax Reductions; the restrictions he has imposed on bureaucratically issued regulations and the renegotiations of trade arrangements, their effects on the now much improved economic welfare and access to employment have benefitted most Americans.