The moral differences between the holocaust and bombing Japan

reasoning logic

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 12:22 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:

This is all a game to you, isn't it? This is not real to you, it's just another youtube video. You truly are scum.

You know you love me "that's why you always come around. Wink
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 12:28 pm
I "come back around" because your bullsh*t needs to be exposed for what it si, and people need to see what a scumbag you are.
reasoning logic

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 12:32 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
I "come back around" because your bullsh*t needs to be exposed for what it si, and people need to see what a scumbag you are.

OK let's come back to reality and be intellectually honest again for another moment here at A2K. You do realize that you have probably been told by other people more times than anyone else I can think of "that you have a behavioral problem?
Setanta

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 12:40 pm
@reasoning logic,
I don't recall anyone telling me i have "a behavioral problem." But that's not going to work--the fact of the matter remains that you are scum, and you have revealed it in this thread. Talking about what you allege to be my problems doesn't change that, and it won't hide it.
reasoning logic

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 12:43 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
Talking about what you allege to be my problems doesn't change that, and it won't hide it.

No, "only you can hide from your own behavioral problems.
Setanta

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 12:51 pm
@reasoning logic,
You can't hide from the evidence that you are scum, and that this is all a big game to you. From this and your previous posting history, i also strongly suspect that you are an antisemitic puke, too.
reasoning logic

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 12:54 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
i also strongly suspect that you are an antisemitic puke, too.

This only shows me how inaccurate you may be about the many other things you share.
engineer

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 01:04 pm
@reasoning logic,
So what is your opinion in your own words: what is the moral difference between the holocaust and bombing Japan?
reasoning logic

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 01:11 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
So what is your opinion in your own words: what is the moral difference between the holocaust and bombing Japan?

I may go into detail later but for now a very short summery.

I think we are a bunch of hairless apes thinking with advanced ape brains but we are still apes. The question that I would ask would be "what are the moral differences that an ape sees for the atrocities that he may encounter?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 01:11 pm
@reasoning logic,
Inaccurate? You asked in this thread if killing the Jews were OK if some Germans said they were bad people. You're asking in this thread if the bombing of Japan were euivalent to the slaughter of the Jews.

You know, i really can't decide if this arises because you are that f*cking stupid, or because you have some ideological obsession, or just because it entertains you to attempt to get a rise out of people onlinel

Whatever the cause, you truly are scum. I continue to think that you are probably antisemitic.
reasoning logic

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 01:18 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
You asked in this thread if killing the Jews were OK if some Germans said they were bad people.

Really, Would you like to show me where I said this? I think you may need a nap. I need to mow but I will be back.

Quote:
it entertains you to attempt to get a rise out of people onlinel

Bingo, Did I strike an emotional bone in you?

Its more complexed than what you have an interest in. Smile

Quote:

Whatever the cause, you truly are scum. I continue to think that you are probably antisemitic.

I just can not get enough of your ad hominems

Setanta

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 01:31 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:
Quote:
The Holocaust massacred innocent people for the sole purpose of massacring innocent people.

You do not think that in the eyes of many Germans that the Jews had done wrong?

You can'teven keep track of your own bullshit.
reasoning logic

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 01:59 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
You can'teven keep track of your own bullshit.

I know it may be hard but try a little harder you will see the difference between what you claimed I asked and what I actually asked.

setanta
Quote:
You asked in this thread if killing the Jews were OK

Reasoning logic
Quote:
You do not think that in the eyes of many Germans that the Jews had done wrong?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 02:12 pm
While there are glaring dissimilarities between the salient features of the holocaust and the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, RL...there certainly are similar features that should be noted.

The holocaust was directed primarily at Jews...for ethnic, cultural, and perceived physical differences by the Nazis. The nuclear bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki (on my birthday) had traces of those elements involved.

I think Truman would have been less likely to okay the nuclear bombing of German cities (although some of the German cities were obliterated through conventional weapons) than Japanese cities...primarily because of the ethnic, cultural, and perceived physical differences.

I lived through the war...and we kids were trained to hate the "Japs"...while the Nazis were not nearly so demonized. The "Japs" were yellow-skinned monsters with no regard for human life; they had buckteeth, slanty eyes, and smiled whenever they killed an American.

Yeah...there were differences...significant differences. But there were similarities that make the question you proposed a worthwhile one...one for intelligent, reasonable people to discuss and ponder.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 02:20 pm
@Frank Apisa,
The main difference between the Holocaust and Japan is that there's ample evidence of Japan's atrocities. The German's grievances against the Jews were manufactured, based around the CZarist forgery The Protocols Of Zion, and the ridiculous notion that Bolshevik Jews in Moscow were conspiring with New York Jewish bankers to bring down Germany. It's utter bullshit, but no doubt a lot of Germans did believe it, the Nazi propaganda machine kept telling them it was true.
reasoning logic

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 02:26 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
The German's grievances against the Jews were manufactured, based around the CZarist forgery The Protocols Of Zion, and the ridiculous notion that Bolshevik Jews in Moscow were conspiring with New York Jewish bankers to bring down Germany. It's utter bullshit, but no doubt a lot of Germans did believe it, the Nazi propaganda machine kept telling them it was true.

I wonder if there was a propaganda machine operating in Japan?
I wonder if much of what we have been told was propaganda? Oh wait didn't frank just mention a small amount of the propaganda that we were fed?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 02:29 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

The main difference between the Holocaust and Japan is that there's ample evidence of Japan's atrocities. The German's grievances against the Jews were manufactured, based around the CZarist forgery The Protocols Of Zion, and the ridiculous notion that Bolshevik Jews in Moscow were conspiring with New York Jewish bankers to bring down Germany. It's utter bullshit, but no doubt a lot of Germans did believe it, the Nazi propaganda machine kept telling them it was true.

I understand and acknowledge that, Izzy. But the question RL proposed has meaning...and there are arguments that can be made that being too dismissive of the similarities in certain areas is a mistake.

0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 03:50 pm
@Setanta,
I'm sorry I did not justify my negative evaluation of the atomic bombing of the two Japanese cities with acknowledgement of the firebomings of other cities (including the firebombing of Dresden?), but I don't have your energy. You condemn me as a bleeding heart, but thanks for not calling me a blittering (?) idiot. I must have done something right.
I agree that the Japanese have earned a reputation for great cruelty, but that does not apply to everyone in Japan. Nanking involved Japanese youths who did things to women, as well as to Korean "comfort girls that did not, nevertheless, reduce the moral horror of what we did to Japanese young women (not to mention old women, men and children) . But I feel no need to mention everything in order to address a particular thing.
I agree that I have not thought this matter through sufficiently. But I notice that you are able to forego moral conclusions regarding the slaughter of innocents by reference to the atrocities of "guilty" Japanese soldiers.
"Atomic boogieman" ?
engineer

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 04:24 pm
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

But I can't accept the conclusion that the United States had no possible alternative but to bomb innocent civilians for the sins of facists.

There was an alternative: Operation Downfall. Several million dead. That was the alternative. You ask if a demonstration would have worked. Hiroshima did not work. Only after the second bomb were those still demanding they fight to the death overwhelmed by those with more sense.

Quote:
On August 6, 1945, the United States dropped an atomic bomb on the city of Hiroshima. Late in the evening of August 8, 1945, in accordance with the Yalta agreements, but in violation of the Soviet–Japanese Neutrality Pact, the Soviet Union declared war on Japan, and soon after midnight on August 9, 1945, the Soviet Union invaded the Imperial Japanese puppet state of Manchukuo. Later that same day, the United States dropped a second atomic bomb, this time on the city of Nagasaki. The combined shock of these events caused Emperor Hirohito to intervene and order the Big Six to accept the terms for ending the war that the Allies had set down in the Potsdam Declaration. After several more days of behind-the-scenes negotiations and a failed coup d'état, Emperor Hirohito gave a recorded radio address across the Empire on August 15. In the radio address, called the Gyokuon-hōsō ("Jewel Voice Broadcast"), he announced the surrender of Japan to the Allies.

Did you get the part where there was an attempted coup by the military to prevent surrender? After two nuclear bombs and Russia declaring war on them? With no ability to stop an invasion?
JLNobody

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 05:24 pm
@engineer,
Thanks, engineer. I wonder if we can interpret the attempted military coup to prevent surrender as both an expression of fanaticism and the cultural (Bushido?) ideal of ritual suicide.
0 Replies