The moral differences between the holocaust and bombing Japan

gungasnake

Reply Wed 7 Aug, 2013 05:37 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
It wasn't a matter of patience--they needed to end that war.

It would have been nice if they could have ended it without leaving a Stalinist regime on the Pacific rim and saved the two A bombs for future reference.

There's another question which is more disturbing and which I don't have an answer for.

Suppose for a moment that the Japanese had been nice guys and, rather than reading Darwin and trying to combine that **** with Bushido, had read everything ever written by Dale Carnegie as well as the New Testament, and embarkd upon a campaign to spread the benefits of their new-found industrial capabillities by sharing them with other Asian nations. Suppose also that they had sought to enhance such efforts by seeking to create a humane and humanistic banking system for all of Asia.....

The question is, particularly given the recent history of Serbia and Libya, would they have been any better off by 1946 or would they still have gott4n annihilated???

Like I say, I don't have an answer for that one. I do know that FDR at least entertained thoughts about challenging the bankers at some point but that, with WW-II to deal with, it never happned.
Setanta

Reply Wed 7 Aug, 2013 05:41 pm
@gungasnake,
Spare me your religious lunatic bullshit.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Wed 7 Aug, 2013 05:45 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
Well, Mr. Gullible, my usual reply would be that anyone who can read a newspaper and form a reasonable judgment of the quality of the journalism should be able to do the same thing with a book.

Lets be intellectually honest just for the moment. You know that there are many people who are intelligent in many areas of science yet they still consider the books of the bible to be creditable.

If so many people can form a belief in one book what the hell makes you so certain that some of the other books out there may not be just a little wrong?

Quote:
Historians who write reliable histories provide sources for their work.

Yea and many people on Youtube provide sources for their work, Does this make them creditable?

Setanta

Reply Wed 7 Aug, 2013 05:54 pm
@reasoning logic,
Anyone who is "intelligent in many areas of science" yet still believes in the bible (a sufficiently nebulous claim--what, believes it all to be literal truth?) is seriously self-deluded. There is no hope for such a person. The same goes for people who read history. If they cannot separate their prejudices and delusions from reality, no amount of reading is going to inform them.

You know damned well that the vast majority of youtube rants have no bibliography, and give no sources. However, even if all of them did, what one does is examine the source works, if necessary. If someone is trying to sell me the idea of a world-wide plot by Jewish bankers, and they say their source is The Protocols of the Elders of Zion, which was exposed as a hoax shortly after publication, i will give them no credence.

Once again, this is why formal education is indispensable. I shouldn't have to answer such questions for you, because you ought to already know the answers to them.
reasoning logic

Reply Wed 7 Aug, 2013 06:16 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
Anyone who is "intelligent in many areas of science" yet still believes in the bible (a sufficiently nebulous claim--what, believes it all to be literal truth?) is seriously self-deluded.

Let me guess you do not think that you are ever self-deluded in your understanding?

Quote:
If they cannot separate their prejudices and delusions from reality, no amount of reading is going to inform them.

Again are you able to do this 100% of the time?

Quote:
If someone is trying to sell me the idea of a world-wide plot by Jewish bankers, and they say their source is The Protocols of the Elders of Zion, which was exposed as a hoax shortly after publication, i will give them no credence.

How is this any different than what a religious person would do?

Quote:

Once again, this is why formal education is indispensable

What constitute a formal education in your mind?

Let me guess you are not willing to see how you are delusional by watching this video?

It starts out messed up but gets better and no it is not only about Christians but rather about all of us.

Setanta

Reply Wed 7 Aug, 2013 06:44 pm
@reasoning logic,
You are delusional if you still think, after all this time, that i'm going to waste an hour of my life on some bullshit you dredged up at youtube. Since you have descended into snotty insults, i'm through talking to you. You're a complete dipshit, and yet you think you should be taken seriously. As i said, i've already answered the question of this thread.
reasoning logic

Reply Wed 7 Aug, 2013 07:06 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
As i said, i've already answered the question of this thread.

Yes you have given an answer to the question, I wonder how many more answers are out there that differ from yours.
neologist

Reply Wed 7 Aug, 2013 07:16 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:
Quote:
Has all this answered your question?
No
I'm coming to conclude you are, indeed, clueless.

Even though I consider war to be Satan's game, I can still see the lesser evil

Set nailed it. Must he use his hammer on your cyber head?

'Course he's wrong about the Bible; but that's another thread.
rosborne979

Reply Wed 7 Aug, 2013 07:29 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:
I wonder how many more answers are out there that differ from yours.

Probably millions, but what you should be asking yourself is "how many other answers differ but still match historical facts and make logical sense", and how are you going to find those few shades of rational difference amidst the swarming lunacy echoing through the internet. (Hint: Know your source, and do your research)
reasoning logic

Reply Wed 7 Aug, 2013 07:47 pm
@neologist,
Quote:

I am sure that you do not feel all alone do you?

Quote:

And what is this lesser evil that you talk about? Isn't there some sort of saying about breaking any commandments?

Quote:

Set nailed it. Must he use his hammer on your cyber head?

Well aren't you being nice.

Quote:
'Course he's wrong about the Bible

How do you know this?

What I find to be common among old timers is their inability to see that Books are becoming a thing of the past and they do not want to let them go.
We have a new technology that actually ables us to record audio and video and share it instantly through space where we were not able to do that a hundred years ago.

I know it is hard to let go of those ancient books but dinosaurs do become extinct over time.
reasoning logic

Reply Wed 7 Aug, 2013 07:58 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
was the alternative to Hiroshima and Nagasaki with an estimated toll of millions. You can read at the link.

Thank you for sharing.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 7 Aug, 2013 07:58 pm
Neo nailed it when he said clueless, incredibly clueless and ignorant. It's appalling that he could even ask a question like this. Ros also nailed it, but RL doesn't want to do any homework, he wants someone to post a video on youtube that explains it all. Since he won't do any homework, they can tell him anything and he'll swallow it whole.
neologist

Reply Wed 7 Aug, 2013 08:00 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:
Quote:
I am sure that you do not feel all alone do you?
Apparently, a few others here agree with me.
reasoning logic wrote:
What I find to be common among old timers is their inability to see that Books are becoming a thing of the past and they do not want to let them go.
We have a new technology that actually ables us to record audio and video and share it instantly through space where we were not able to do that a hundred years ago.

I know it is hard to let go of those ancient books but dinosaurs do become extinct over time.
Why not read some old newspapers? Or, have they morphed over time?
reasoning logic

Reply Wed 7 Aug, 2013 08:01 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
Neo nailed it when he said clueless,

I thought that he said wrong.

Quote:
he's wrong about the Bible;

reasoning logic

Reply Wed 7 Aug, 2013 08:06 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
Apparently, a few others here agree with me.

Apparently there are many old people on line here who are retired and most of the young people are working or to tired to be here or they think that they have better things to do.

Quote:
Why not read some old newspapers? Or, have they morphed over time?

Would it be OK if I read them on line or do I need an old one in hand?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 7 Aug, 2013 08:07 pm
@reasoning logic,
UGH!
RL wrong usually
Set only wrong sometimes.
Neo wrong once or twice, maybe three times.
reasoning logic

Reply Wed 7 Aug, 2013 08:12 pm
@neologist,
Quote:

Are you talking about the times you disagree with him?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 7 Aug, 2013 08:46 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
Since you have descended into snotty insults,

Unfuckingbelievable! You have been snotty since the outset, Setanta. Why Beth doesn't give you a whack upside the head I'll never know.

Here's Mr Snotty himself, Setanta.

Do you remember how to read a book?

You have now crossed over into the twilight zone.

Well, Mr. Gullible, my usual reply would be that anyone who can read a newspaper and form a reasonable judgment of the quality of the journalism should be able to do the same thing with a book. However, in your case, you seem to believe any old bullshit you see at youtube, so that may not be the best answer for you.

then all you need do is got a library (that's a big building, usually centrally located in a city or neighborhood, with a lot of books in it) and check out several books on this subject. Yes, i know it would be excruciating agony for you to read one book, let alone several, but if you really want to know the answer to this idiotic and simple-minded question, you're going to need to educate yourself.

... .
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 7 Aug, 2013 08:47 pm
@neologist,
Quote:

Really, Neo, the lesser evil.
Ticomaya

Reply Wed 7 Aug, 2013 09:12 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:
UGH!
RL wrong usually
Neo wrong once or twice, maybe three times.

I was wrong once.