Reply Wed 7 Aug, 2013 09:50 pm
@JTT,
As compared to a greater evil
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 01:36 am
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:
What do you think are the moral differences between the holocaust and the bombings of the cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki?

The Holocaust massacred innocent people for the sole purpose of massacring innocent people.

Hiroshima and Nagasaki were wartime strikes against military targets in a just war of self defense against a brutal enemy that was deliberately massacring innocent people and was refusing to surrender and end their reign of terror.
oralloy

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 01:48 am
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:
If and when someone uses the a bomb on us will it only be the idiots that are not able to understand the reasons why it needed to be done?

Can you tell the moral difference between:

a) a police officer shooting a criminal to prevent that criminal from committing a horrendous crime

and

b) a criminal shooting a police officer to prevent that police officer from interfering with the commission of a horrendous crime

?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 02:02 am

There was nothing rong with boming Japan.
That is the difference.

David
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 05:17 am
An excellent piece of work Set. Im in awe of the fund of knowledge you bring to so many discussions of history. The compilation of all the unconnected facts (seemingly), you've brought together in a readable yet scholarly fashion.

RL, If yu feel that you've got something to add, you should try to provide an argument of similar scholarship rather than presenting your five foot bookshelf of irrelevant videos.

Are you trying to amass some position for a school project? (From your tone in this and other of your contributions, I figure that you are a middle school student whose been mesmerized by a teacher)

Potsdam wasn't going to allow Japan to "Sue for peace" after the level of atrocities theyd commited on the world. They had to be smashed so their wae machine couldn't be resurrected at a later date.

History is the compilation of facts.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 07:08 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
The Holocaust massacred innocent people for the sole purpose of massacring innocent people.

You do not think that in the eyes of many Germans that the Jews had done wrong?
reasoning logic

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 07:17 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
You are delusional if you still think, after all this time, that i'm going to waste an hour of my life on some bullshit you dredged up at youtube.

Yea you are probably correct, "what could a young person who has a PhD in history be able to teach you about delusions? Rolling Eyes
neologist

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 07:28 am
@reasoning logic,
You do not, by any chance, have a commission from the
Iranian government, do you?
Aryan Nation?
Your arguments have a familiar sound
reasoning logic

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 07:42 am
@neologist,
Quote:
Aryan Nation?

No I do not, Isn't the Aryan Nation a Christian movement?
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 08:04 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Historians who write reliable histories provide sources for their work. It is in a section after the main body called the bibliography. They also footnote their work, making reference to the source of their claims, usually in reference to the bibliographical entries. If you read something in a book, and the author doesn't have a source for it, you should consider it suspect unless and until you have read further and found confirmation for it.

This is why i have told you more than once that the kind of crap you pick up at youtube is no substitute for formal education.

This needs to become your new mantra (albeit a very long one) Reasoning Logic.
neologist

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 08:07 am
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

Quote:
Aryan Nation?

No I do not, Isn't the Aryan Nation a Christian movement?
You would prefer the Islamic view, then?
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 08:08 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Yes, i know it would be excruciating agony for you to read one book, let alone several....

That's the ONLY way one can get the answer to this question. Go to the main branch of a city or university library, ask the librarian in the history department on the best books from multiple perspectives (US, Japan, a neutral third party country, etc...). Read and compare the books and sources as listed in the footnotes and bibliography. Formulate an more educated opinion when the reading and analytical digestion is done.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 08:16 am
reasoning logic wrote:

You do not think that in the eyes of many Germans that the Jews had done wrong?

reasoning logic wrote:

Yea you are probably correct, "what could a young person who has a PhD in history be able to teach you about delusions? Rolling Eyes

No comment, you know? I just wanted to see these two posts together.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 08:23 am
@roger,
It might be worthwhile noting, if only for RL's benefit, that just because someone claims to have a Phd in History doesn't mean they have one. Also, not all Phds are alike, not every university has a brilliant reputation.
Below viewing threshold (view)
roger

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 08:55 am
@reasoning logic,
History major, then, but also a PhD in the subject. Awesome.
reasoning logic

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 08:55 am
@neologist,
Quote:
You would prefer the Islamic view, then?

I know some Islamic people who are good people, I just think that they have delusions like other religions do.
neologist

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 08:56 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
It might be worthwhile noting, if only for RL's benefit, that just because someone claims to have a Phd in History doesn't mean they have one. Also, not all Phds are alike, not every university has a brilliant reputation.
Quite true, Izzy.
Piled
Higher and
Deeper
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 09:01 am
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:
I know some Islamic people who are good people, I just think that they have delusions like other religions do.
I see your point. Are you saying your delusions are more or less pronouced then, let's say, Al Quaeda or Aryan Nations?