Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 06:08 pm
@Setanta,
Amen
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 06:24 pm
@JLNobody,
Quote:
I agree that I have not thought this matter through sufficiently. But I notice that you are able to forego moral conclusions regarding the slaughter of innocents by reference to the atrocities of "guilty" Japanese soldiers.
"Atomic boogieman" ?

I find the responses of justification completely normal. I wonder what type of responses we would get if we were having this conversation in Japan. I bet that the responses would be very different.

War is a terrible thing and solders do some horrific things "just look at some of the things that our solders have reported and some of the things we found out through leaks.

There are many videos like this on Youtube.

neologist

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 07:25 pm
@reasoning logic,
Soldiers in time of war do evil things. That is well known.
How is that relevant to the comparison you were trying to make in your OP?
JTT

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 07:32 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
Soldiers in time of war do evil things. That is well known.

It is not at all well known for the US, Neo. The US evil things are well hidden in plain view.

Quote:
How is that relevant to the comparison you were trying to make in your OP?

Notice how RELEVANT everyone has made it for Japanese atrocities. Don't you think it fair to describe US atrocities?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 07:33 pm
@JLNobody,
That is an utterly false and scurrilous accusation on your part. I have repeatedly pointed out that the United States used the atomic bomb because the Japanese would not surrender, and they needed to end that war, they wanted to end the madness. I was employing no tu quoque argument-- i was pointing out your deep sorrow for the Japanese, but apparent indifference to what everyone around them suffered.

But thanks for your biased and snotty condemnation. It confirms my opinion of your character.
JTT

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 07:49 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
The main difference between the Holocaust and Japan is that there's ample evidence of Japan's atrocities.

It's true that there is ample evidence of Japan's atrocities, Izzy, but Japan's atrocities are not the atrocities that can be laid at the feet of the civilians of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Nor are they atrocities that can be laid at the feet of the dead civilians who were firebombed by the US.

There is also ample evidence of US atrocities. In fact there is ample evidence that Japan followed the lead of the US and the UK and other European countries in setting up their own SE Asian exclusion zone similar to the exclusion zone set up by the US, with the Monroe Doctrine of 1823, I believe it was.

The US committed atrocities equal to the Japanese in the Philippines. The US committed atrocities in Latin American countries equal to the atrocities of Japan.

Japan's atrocities did NOT give the US a green light to commit its own war crimes. Firebombing Japanese cities was a series of horrific war crimes just as Nagasaki and Hiroshima were horrific war crimes.

There is no difference between the Holocaust and the war crimes committed by the US in Japan, against Japanese citizens. Both are war crimes of epic proportions.

The only difference, the major difference, the huge difference that everyone is avoiding [except maybe for JLNobody] is that Japan has paid its debt. The US has paid no debt, that's zero debt for its myriad war crimes that are hardly limited to WWII.
JTT

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 07:54 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
I have repeatedly pointed out that the United States used the atomic bomb because the Japanese would not surrender, and they needed to end that war, they wanted to end the madness.

We know, we know, Set. You have repeatedly pointed out the propaganda that has been the cover story from the get go, from soon after the bombs were dropped. But what good is it to keep repeating the same vicious lies?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 08:35 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

It's true that there is ample evidence of Japan's atrocities, Izzy, but Japan's atrocities are not the atrocities that can be laid at the feet of the civilians of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Nor are they atrocities that can be laid at the feet of the dead civilians who were firebombed by the US.

There is also ample evidence of US atrocities. In fact there is ample evidence that Japan followed the lead of the US and the UK and other European countries in setting up their own SE Asian exclusion zone similar to the exclusion zone set up by the US, with the Monroe Doctrine of 1823, I believe it was.

The US committed atrocities equal to the Japanese in the Philippines. The US committed atrocities in Latin American countries equal to the atrocities of Japan.

Japan's atrocities did NOT give the US a green light to commit its own war crimes. Firebombing Japanese cities was a series of horrific war crimes just as Nagasaki and Hiroshima were horrific war crimes.

There is no difference between the Holocaust and the war crimes committed by the US in Japan, against Japanese citizens. Both are war crimes of epic proportions.

The only difference, the major difference, the huge difference that everyone is avoiding [except maybe for JLNobody] is that Japan has paid its debt. The US has paid no debt, that's zero debt for its myriad war crimes that are hardly limited to WWII.

Are you suggesting that the Japanese people, including the citizens of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, were doing all they possibly could to stop their government from commiting atrocities across Asia (and at the same time throwing their young men into the meat grinder of war)?

Whether or not ordinary Japanese could put a stop to their government's clear intent to establish a Japanese Empire over, at least, half the planet (through whatever heinous methods possible) what evidence is there that they even tried?

To the extent that any of your claims about a consistent pattern of US war crimes is true, US citizens should not be considered, as a whole, innocent.

Obviously a government can go rogue and, intitally, its citizens are not responsible, and if that government brutally crushes any and all objection by its citizens, the citizens remain innocent, but when a people accept such actions by their government, they share responsibility for those actions.

Their acceptance may be an intellectual affinity for the government's actions or it may be simply apathy, but either way there is responsibility.

There was a legitimate reason for why the US was loath to invade Japan, and it was based on the accurate belief that the average Japanese citizen would have fought to the death to repel invaders. After repetitive blood baths in island rocks leading up to the mainland, it was certainly reasonable for the US to expect that an invasion of Japan would have been far more horrendous in terms of casualties.

If one believes that the US was the "bad guy" in its war against Japan, then all of it's considerations are, at least, suspect, but if one accepts that the US was ritghteous or even neutral in it's war against imperialistic Japan, defeat of Japan was a goal that could not be compromised.

Sherman said that war is hell and most people nod their head in agreement with the sentiment but have no concept of the depth of his comment.

War is hell and Hiroshima and Nagasaki were special levels of the region. It's hideous that such events might ever be considered acceptable, but that is the nature of humanity. We have, clearly, not reached a stage wherein such actions or the preceding actions that rationalized them are impossible to imagine.

The argument that the US should not have used the A-Bomb and instead of invaded Japan and watched hundreds of thousands of American GIs die is, at best, specious. An argument that the US should have done nothing is idiotic.

Irrespective of any argument about whether or not Hiroshima and Nagasaki (BTW let's acknowledge that Japan didn't surrender after Hirohima) was reasonable, let alone "legal", there is absolutely no rational comparison to the Nazis systematic extermination of 6 million Jews.

It really boggles the mind that anyone could suggest the two events are morally equivalent, but it is, sadly, explainable by generations far removed from the facts of WWII, sorely uneducated in terms of history, and convinced that it is "cool" to "like" the Palestinians.

oralloy

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 09:36 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:
oralloy wrote:
The Holocaust massacred innocent people for the sole purpose of massacring innocent people.

You do not think that in the eyes of many Germans that the Jews had done wrong?

I have no idea. But if the Nazis did have such deranged thinking, that only emphasizes the importance of killing Nazis.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 09:36 pm
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:
But I can't accept the conclusion that the United States had no possible alternative but to bomb innocent civilians for the sins of facists.

Let's get our facts straight, shall we?

The US did not target innocent civilians. Both Hiroshima and Nagasaki were important military targets.

JLNobody wrote:
Could we not have stopped at least with the first bombing,

No.

The idea that "we would decide to stop fighting the war when the enemy had not surrendered yet" is preposterous.

JLNobody wrote:
or bombed the surrounding uninhabited areas of Nakasaki and Hiroshima to show what we were able to do.

Waste valuable ordinance blowing up nothing, while leaving important military targets untouched?

Don't be silly.

JLNobody wrote:
Was there sufficient effort to coerce the intractables into surrender, or were our pro-bombing advocates pleased to have had the existence of intractable fanatics as an excuse not to have had to concern themselves with the killing of innocents? (I hope for the sake of their "souls" that they did lose sleep because of such concerns)

Lose sleep over it? Don't be silly.

What more could we have done besides offer them generous surrender terms and then smash them until they surrendered?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 09:38 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:
Setanta is correct here I have some awesome footage of us fire bombing many communities, That's correct not military targets as one might think but they are the targets the military chose to bomb.

Both the firebombing and the A-bombs were aimed at military targets.

With Nagasaki and the firebombing, the purpose was to destroy Japan's war industry.

Hiroshima was a strike directly at Japanese soldiers.
oralloy

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 09:39 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Japan has not paid even a bit of their debt.

And most of the supposed US debt is imaginary.
oralloy

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 09:40 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:
We know, we know, Set. You have repeatedly pointed out the propaganda that has been the cover story from the get go, from soon after the bombs were dropped. But what good is it to keep repeating the same vicious lies?

I saw no lies in anything he wrote.
gungasnake

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 09:49 pm
An idea of what had already happened to the 75 large cities in Japan prior to the two A bombs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-QUIzaDYSs
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 11:03 pm
I made my points--mainly moral reactions to my understanding of historical events--and I acknowledge that they are not infallible or without bias.
0 Replies

miguelito21

Reply Fri 9 Aug, 2013 12:41 am
" There's currently some bullshit popular online to the effect that the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were unnecessary because Japan was a defeated nation."

"Anyone who cannot understand why the United States used the A-bomb on Japan is a blithering idiot. [...] Hiroshima and Nagasaki were bombed because those lunatic, fascist militarists wouldn't f*cking surrender"

- Setanta.

Although I struggle to make sense of the original question, I don't think one can consider that anyone suggesting a version different from the official one is a "blithering idiot" participating in "popular online bullshit".

First because differing explanations have been put forward quite shortly after the dropping of the bomb - that is, it is no recent development; second because these differing explanations were/are defended by quite qualified people (academics, journalists, military).

I'm not sure if this is the place to argue that particular point though - I'm sure other threads deal with it specifically.

Coming back to the original question, I fail to see what elements of the Holocaust and the atomic bombing of Japan could be compared in order to come up with a meaningful and relevant comparison.

The racial element that Franck Apisa mentioned would be more relevant, I think, when comparing the behavior (the policies and the justifications for them) of the Japanese and European colonial powers towards their colonies/colonized people and the 3rd Reich's towards the nations/peoples it dominated.
It don't know if it was a decisive factor in the atomic bombing, and so far I haven't seen anyone make the case that it was.

It was Aimé Césaire who famously said:

"Yes, it would be worthwhile to study clinically, in detail, the steps taken by Hitler and Hitlerism and to reveal to the very distinguished, very humanistic, very Christian bourgeois of the twentieth century that without his being aware of it, he has a Hitler inside him, that Hitler inhabits him, that Hitler is his demon, that if he rails against him, he is being inconsistent and that, at bottom, what he cannot forgive Hitler for is not crime in itself, the crime against man, it is not the humiliation of man as such, it is the crime against the white man, the humiliation of the white man, and the fact that he applied to Europe colonialist procedures which until then had been reserved exclusively for the Arabs of Algeria, the coolies of India, and the blacks of Africa."
wmwcjr

Reply Fri 9 Aug, 2013 01:10 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
There was a legitimate reason for why the US was loath to invade Japan, and it was based on the accurate belief that the average Japanese citizen would have fought to the death to repel invaders. After repetitive blood baths in island rocks leading up to the mainland, it was certainly reasonable for the US to expect that an invasion of Japan would have been far more horrendous in terms of casualties.

< snip >

The argument that the US should not have used the A-Bomb and instead of invaded Japan and watched hundreds of thousands of American GIs die is, at best, specious. An argument that the US should have done nothing is idiotic.

I don't have a detailed knowledge of the war in the Pacific theater, but I don't doubt there would have been a great slaughter on both sides if an Allied invasion of Japan had taken place. Not only would there have been a great many casualties on the Allied side, but also there would have been a terrible loss of life among the Japanese people. I don't detract from the horror of the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, but I'm inclined to believe that the bombings may have saved the lives of many Japanese civilians as well as the lives of American GIs.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 9 Aug, 2013 01:55 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
It really boggles the mind that anyone could suggest the two events are morally equivalent, but it is, sadly, explainable by generations far removed from the facts of WWII, sorely uneducated in terms of history, and convinced that it is "cool" to "like" the Palestinians.

You really are a snide **** to conflate two separate issues. Maybe you only adopt a moral stance because you think it's cool, but the fact is the Palestinians are an oppressed people enduring a brutal occupation. There's nothing cool about thinking that.

It's a lot better than thinking it's cool to invade a country on completely fabricated evidence, slaughter thousands and destabilise a whole region just because the leader slighted America's sense of self importance.
oralloy

Reply Fri 9 Aug, 2013 02:07 am
@miguelito21,
miguelito21 wrote:
Although I struggle to make sense of the original question, I don't think one can consider that anyone suggesting a version different from the official one is a "blithering idiot" participating in "popular online bullshit".

The characterization seems accurate enough to me.

I am not sure there is an "official" version. But there is certainly a truthful version, which is backed by both the evidence and the historians.

miguelito21 wrote:
First because differing explanations have been put forward quite shortly after the dropping of the bomb - that is, it is no recent development; second because these differing explanations were/are defended by quite qualified people (academics, journalists, military).

The explanation for dropping the bombs was simple: We were at war, and we were attacking the people who we were at war with.

If anyone disputes that explanation, I question their integrity and their qualifications, regardless of when they disputed it.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 9 Aug, 2013 02:09 am
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:
Could we not have stopped at least with the first bombing
We shud not waste the 2nd bom.
Note that the Japanese military had informed the Emperor
that we cud only inflict a maximum of ONE nuclear attack
We needed to disabuse His Majesty of that mis-information to evoke a surrender.

General MacArthur had ordered 7 of them.
He is my favorite military officer of all time.
I wish that I had the honor to meet him in life. I attended his funeral.

JLNobody wrote:
, or bombed the surrounding uninhabited areas of Nakasaki and Hiroshima to show what we were able to do. Was there sufficient effort to coerce the intractables into surrender, or were our pro-bombing advocates pleased to have had the existence of intractable fanatics as an excuse not to have had to concern themselves with the killing of innocents?
The Japs gave us good opportunity to field test our military nukes.
Its not ofen ez to get co-operation like that. ( Maybe, the Moslems . . . )

Do u think that any of the survivors of the Rape of Nanking of 1937
considered the Japs to be "innocent" ??

JLNobody wrote:
(I hope for the sake of their "souls"
that they did lose sleep because of such concerns)
Who are u quoting there, JL ??
FOR THE RECORD:
I did not lose any sleep about it in August of 1945.

What information do u have about souls
and losses of sleep, concerning nuclear attacks??
Will u enlighten us on that point, please ??

HAPPY NAKASAKI DAY, EVERYONE!
Today is August 9th.

David