The moral differences between the holocaust and bombing Japan

JTT

Reply Sun 18 Aug, 2013 08:22 pm
@Lustig Andrei,

Quote:
The international community has not legally admonished the United States for genocidal acts against Native Americans, yet it is clear that examples of genocidal acts and crimes against humanity are a well-cited page in U.S. history. Notorious incidents, such as the Trail of Tears, the Sand Creek Massacre, and the massacre of the Yuki of northern California are covered in depth in separate entries in this encyclopedia. More controversial, however, is whether the colonies and the United States participated in genocidal acts as an overall policy toward Native Americans. The Native-American population decrease since the arrival of Spanish explorer Christopher Columbus alone signals the toll colonization and U.S. settlement took on the native population. Scholars estimate that approximately 10 million pre-Columbian Native Americans resided in the present-day United States. That number has since fallen to approximately 2.4 million. While this population decrease cannot be attributed solely to the actions of the U.S. government, they certainly played a key role. In addition to population decrease, Native Americans have also experienced significant cultural and proprietary losses as a result of U.S. governmental actions. The total effect has posed a serious threat to the sustainability of the Native-American people and culture.

http://www.enotes.com/native-americans-reference/native-americans
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 18 Aug, 2013 08:25 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
Genocide is the ultimate result of an attempt at 'ethnic cleansing.'

Quote:

http://academic.udayton.edu/race/06hrights/georegions/northamerica/UnitedStates02.htm

The US and the Crime of Genocide Against Native Americans

Lindsay Glauner

excerpted from: Lindsay Glauner, The Need for Accountability and Reparation: 1830-1976 the United States Government's Role in the Promotion, Implementation, and Execution of the Crime of Genocide Against Native Americans , 51 DePaul Law Review 911-961, 911-917 (Spring 2002)(349 Footnotes)

On September 8, 2000, the head of the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) formally apologized for the agency's participation in the "ethnic cleansing" of Western tribes. From the forced relocation and assimilation of the "sauvage" to the white man's way of life to the forced sterilization of Native Americans, the BIA set out to "destroy all things Indian." Through the exploration of the United States' Federal Indian policy, it is evident that this policy intended to "destroy, in whole or in part," the Native American population. The extreme disparity in the number of Native American people living within the United States' borders at the time Columbus arrived, approximately ten million compared to the approximate 2.4 million Indians and Eskimos alive in the United States today, is but one factor that illustrates the success of the government's plan of "Manifest Destiny."

No longer can we remain indifferent and justify these acts of genocide committed by the United States government, its agencies, and its personnel against Native Americans as a result of colonization or the need to establish a prosperous union. Instead, the United States government, its agencies, and those involved with carrying out the measures designed to inflict genocidal acts against the Native American population must be held in violation of customary international law, as well as conventional international law, as proscribed in the Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide (Genocide Convention).
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 18 Aug, 2013 08:56 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
Genocide is the ultimate result of an attempt at 'ethnic cleansing.' You keep asking, how many people would have to die before you consider an act genocidal. As many as there are of that particular nationality, race, religious group or whatever.

Quote:
But to keep on referring to it as 'genocide' simply shows a lack of understanding of the word itself.

Quote:
The term Genocide derives from the Latin (genos=race, tribe; cide=killing) and means literally the killing or murder of an entire tribe or people. The Oxford English Dictionary defines genocide as "the deliberate and systematic extermination of an ethnic or national group" and cites the first usage of the term as R. Lemkin, Axis Rule in Occupied Europe, (1944) p.79. "By 'genocide' we mean the destruction of a nation or an ethnic group." The U.N. General Assembly adopted this term and defended it in 1946 as "....a denial of the right of existence of entire human groups." Most people tend to associate genocide with wholesale slaughter of a specific people. However, "the 1994 U.N. Convention on the Punishment and Prevention of the Crime of Genocide, describes genocide beyond outright murder of people as the destruction and extermination of culture." Article II of the convention lists five categories of activity as genocidal when directed against a specific "national, ethnic, racial, or religious group."

These categories are:

Killing members of the group;
Causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of group;
Deliberately infliction on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part;
Imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group;
Forcibly transferring children of the group to another group.

Genocide or the deliberate extermination of one ethnic group by another is not new, for example in 1937 the Pequot Indians were exterminated by the Colonists when they burned their villages in Mystic, Connecticut, and then shot all the other people -- including women and children -- who tried to escape. The United States Government has refused to ratify the U.N. convention on genocide. There are many facets of genocide which have been implemented upon indigenous peoples of North America. The list of American genocidal policies includes: Mass-execution, Biological warfare, Forced Removal from homelands, Incarceration, Indoctrination of non-indigenous values, forced surgical sterilization of native women, Prevention of religious practices, just to name a few.

http://www.operationmorningstar.org/genocide_of_native_americans.htm
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 19 Aug, 2013 01:01 am
@peter jeffrey cobb,
peter jeffrey cobb wrote:
Hi. Just a quick question Smile
After looking at the link I posted. If you could have a time machine and you were in complete charge of the whole atomic operations. Would you do it again? ( make sure you look at the link please )

In this hypothetical, am I bringing along everything I know in hindsight, giving me an advantage that Truman never possessed? Or am I just knowing what Truman knew?

If all I'd know is what Truman knew, I doubt I would have done anything any differently. He made the only decisions he could realistically have made given the information he had.

If I'm bringing the knowledge of hindsight with me, I'd guess that if there wasn't use of nuclear weapons against Japan, there would have been a later use of nuclear weapons between the US and USSR, and on a much larger scale. So I would have gone ahead with Hiroshima just to avert the later destruction of the United States.

But I would have enacted some scheme to make sure that, just after Hiroshima, Japan would find out that the Soviets were planning to go to war with them (perhaps leaflet Tokyo with copies of the Yalta arrangement). The sooner Japan realized that their "Soviet mediation" gambit was doomed to fail, the sooner Hirohito would have overruled the military and forced a surrender.

This probably would have made Japan surrender before the second A-bomb.

EDIT: I initially posted that I'd hold off on the second A-bomb, but then I thought of all the war crimes that Japan committed against us. So I think that if Japan did not surrender after receiving my additional inducements post-Hiroshima, I'd go ahead with the second A-bomb too, and without any delays.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 19 Aug, 2013 01:12 am
@oralloy,
Senior military personnel told their Emperor that we cud only nuke them ONCE.
It is possible that he might have believed them, until August 9th (but not August 1Oth).
oralloy

Reply Mon 19 Aug, 2013 01:26 am
@igm,
igm wrote:
oralloy wrote:
igm wrote:
What might the future hold after the nuclear strike on Japan? It could eventually lead to state sponsored terrorism successfully detonating a nuclear device on the US homeland with no chance of retaliation... so we have a useless deterrent... no country to bomb... just a terrorist cell which can't be nuked... or even destroyed conventionally because they just keep on recruiting.

Your term "state sponsored" indicates that we would very much have someone to retaliate against.
Terrorist cells can also be destroyed. DroneStrikes are awesome!

You couldn't be certain which state did the sponsoring (they would obviously be unknown)

No, we would know exactly who did it.

And we would eradicate them.

igm wrote:
you can't nuke without worldwide opinion that is certain of the sponsor... it would never happen.

What sort of nonsense is this?

Worldwide opinion has no say whatsoever over whether we nuke someone or not.

igm wrote:
A cell can be destroyed but replacements are easy to find and to them its win win as they've just nuked the US with the loss of just a single terrorist cell at most.

Replacements are easily killed too. There are a finite number of people on the planet. We can keep killing until we get every enemy.

And we would also eradicate the state that provided the nuclear assistance.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 19 Aug, 2013 01:29 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:
I hate to say it... In fact, the thing doesn't really even hinge on the use of the two A bombs at all, a better question is why some more serious attempt to get the Japanese to surrender wasn't made after the first two or three big fire-bomb raids.
U blame us for faulty salesmanship ?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 19 Aug, 2013 01:33 am
@JTT,
Quote:
Maneuvering Japan to attack first

If we maneuvered Japan into attacking Pearl Harbor, then Japan maneuvered us into dropping the A-bombs on them.
oralloy

Reply Mon 19 Aug, 2013 01:34 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:
It's both immoral and illegal to target civilians in order to shorten a war or protect your own soldiers/civilians.

Then it's a good thing we didn't target civilians.
oralloy

Reply Mon 19 Aug, 2013 01:36 am
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:
Would it be fair to say that "If other terrorists were able to detonate a few nukes here in our country killing many innocent civilians that they too would be level headed if they succeeded in their objective?

I presume from your use of the term "terrorist" that you are referring to the targeting of civilians?

Note that the targeting of civilians is not at all comparable to our WWII strikes against military targets.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 19 Aug, 2013 01:37 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
I completely disagree with oralloy when he accuses Howard Zinn of lying or altering the facts. Zinn's research and scholarship are impeccable.

How do you explain the fact that everything he says is completely untrue?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 19 Aug, 2013 01:37 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:
And the Japanese were ready to surrender.

Then they should have done so. Nobody was stopping them.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 19 Aug, 2013 01:47 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
oralloy wrote:
If we maneuvered Japan into attacking Pearl Harbor,
then Japan maneuvered us into dropping the A-bombs on them.
I enjoyed the way u put that!
However, Roosevelt did provoke the Japs,
as a backdoor into the war in Europe.
In retrospect, I must approve his choice.
It wud have been a massive error of strategy
for him to let the Nazis take Russian oil
(tho it wud have been fun to watch the communists be defeated).

David
oralloy

Reply Mon 19 Aug, 2013 02:37 am
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:
Kinda the way the citizens in the world trade center died?

Civilians were directly targeted at the World Trade Center. That made the attack a Crime Against Humanity -- quite different from our bombing of Japanese military targets.

reasoning logic wrote:
I wonder if the Germans seen the Jews the same way.

If so, that gave ample reason to kill all the Nazis.

reasoning logic wrote:
The Jews were the Nazi enemies and if they had not been in their country they would have not been targeted?

How come the Nazis massacred Jews outside their country?

In any case, it is repugnant for you to act as if Genocide and Crimes Against Humanity are just forms of military attack.

reasoning logic wrote:
Have scholars come to a consensus for a precise definition of genocide?

Yes. It refers to any attempt to extinguish a race or culture.

reasoning logic wrote:
Why do you think that the US wanted to be exempt from ever being charged with genocide if a world court ever found them guilty?

Probably because so many lunatics make ridiculous false accusations against us.
oralloy

Reply Mon 19 Aug, 2013 02:41 am
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:
firefly wrote:
"Ethnic cleansing" is genocide.

Well sure it is but what comes to my mind when I think of the Holocaust is ethnic cleansing. The bombing of Japan does not seem like ethnic cleansing but rather a genocide committed against a nation.

Ethnic Cleansing usually refers to "forcing a race or cultural group to depart a region, but without otherwise harming that race or cultural group".

Genocide is an attempt to outright destroy a race or cultural group.

The Holocaust was Genocide.

The A-bombs were neither Genocide nor Ethnic Cleansing. They were wartime strikes against military targets.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 19 Aug, 2013 05:14 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
oralloy wrote:
If we maneuvered Japan into attacking Pearl Harbor,
then Japan maneuvered us into dropping the A-bombs on them.
Bear in mind that Hydrogen Boms were not entirely ready yet,
so the Japs had to settle for A-Boms (fission boms). O, well.

( I wonder Y people put a b on the end of the word: bom.
It does not do any good back there; wasting a perfectly good b. )

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 19 Aug, 2013 05:20 am

On reflection, it occurs to me
that we never presented them with a bill for either of those boms.
Those things were expensive.

For that matter, to this DAY, I don't believe that the Japs
have paid us for the damages that thay inflicted on Pearl Harbor, either.

David
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 19 Aug, 2013 05:45 am
@OmSigDAVID,
According to the Treaty of Peace with Japan and the bilateral agreements, Japan agreed to pay around ¥1.03 trillion as reparations.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 19 Aug, 2013 05:56 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

According to the Treaty of Peace with Japan and the bilateral agreements,
Japan agreed to pay around ¥1.03 trillion as reparations.
Thank u, Walter.
I have not kept abreast of events, in that regard.
Do u know whether thay complied with that obligation ?

I wonder how much that is in American money.

David
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 19 Aug, 2013 06:02 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I suggest, David, you can inform yourself. NB: the Security Treaty Between the United States and Japan was signed the same day ...
0 Replies