The moral differences between the holocaust and bombing Japan

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 09:46 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Babble on David, you're a nasty piece of work in your own right,
and it's typical of your hypocrisy that you make accusations against me.
I 've completed what I had to say.

U do the babbling.
Setanta

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 09:49 am
@OmSigDAVID,
But you do it so much better than anyone else . . .
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 10:55 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
You are conveniently ignoring this post:

And you don't ignore all manner of posts and things that don't match your "history" lessons, Set. And speaking of hypocrisy,

Quote:
Babble on David, you're a nasty piece of work in your own right, and it's typical of your hypocrisy that you make accusations against me.

you are an A2K leader in that respect.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 11:13 pm
@miguelito21,
Quote:
First, although initially American leaders sought Soviet entry into the war, once the atomic bomb was proven their views changed dramatically: The bomb now seemed a way to end the war before the Red Army (and Soviet political influence) got very far into Manchuria. This is precisely the argument Truman used in private the day after the Nagasaki bombing in explaining to the Cabinet his modification of the demand for unconditional surrender.

The demand for unconditional surrender had been modified weeks before the A-bombs, when we issued the Potsdam Proclamation (which was a list of generous surrender terms).

I presume the text is referring to what we did two days after Nagasaki, which was: We flat-out rejected Japan's request that we guarantee Hirtohito would retain unlimited dictatorial power.

I'm not sure why our rejection needed to be explained to the cabinet. Our reply to Japan was pretty straightforward: Hirohito was going to be subordinate to MacArthur.
oralloy

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 11:15 pm
@miguelito21,
miguelito21 wrote:
Setanta wrote:
The Japanese would not surrender.

The Japanese would not surrender unconditionally, i.e. risk losing the institution of the Emperor.
And they did not, even after the two atomic bombs.

Japan was not being asked to surrender unconditionally. The Potsdam Proclamation was a list of generous surrender terms, and it had been issued weeks before.

And Japan did in fact surrender without any guarantee for the Emperor.

Quote:
Martin Zuberi in Strategic Analysis (2001)
Stalin's armies were racing across Manchuria; there was no time to lose. Truman asked Byrnes to draft a reply to the Japanese surrender offer. The carefully drafted reply contained the sentence: "From the moment of surrender the authority of the Emperor and the Japanese Government to rule the state shall be subject to the Supreme Commander of the Allied Powers who will take such steps as he deems proper to effectuate the surrender terms." This assurance implied the retention of the emperor. Through deliberate ambiguity, Japan's conditional surrender was being accepted; but, at the same time, the fiction of unconditional surrender could be maintained.

Nonsense. The condition that Japan asked for was rejected. And there was no ambiguity whatsoever.

Japan asked us to guarantee that Hirohito would retain unlimited dictatorial power as Japan's living deity. And we replied that Hirohito would be subordinate to MacArthur.

And we had backed away from unconditional surrender weeks before, when we issued the Potsdam Proclamation, a list of generous surrender terms.

Quote:
The only substantive change was in the American position.

There was no substantive change in the American position.

Quote:
Hanson Baldwin rightly pointed out, "We demanded unconditional surrender, then dropped the bomb and accepted conditional surrender."

Rightly pointed out??? What he said isn't even remotely true.

We backed away from unconditional surrender weeks before the bombs. Then we dropped the bombs. Then, after the bombs, we received a request for one additional surrender term -- a request which we flat-out rejected. Then Japan accepted our surrender terms as-is.

Quote:
Modification of the terms of surrender, guaranteeing the future of the imperial dynasty, would have terminated the war much earlier.

Not very likely. Japan was dead set on trying to end the war in a draw with the aid of the Soviets. That did not change until the Soviets declared war on them.

Offering Japan better surrender terms would not have changed their desire to end the war in a draw.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 16 Aug, 2013 12:00 am
@oralloy,
I suppose, you mean the Potsdam Declaration, which was issued by the UK, the USA and China? (As far as I know, there wasn't a Potsdam Proclamation just by the USA.)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 16 Aug, 2013 12:03 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Japan was not being asked to surrender unconditionally. The Potsdam Proclamation was a list of generous surrender terms, and it had been issued weeks before.
Quote:
(13) We call upon the government of Japan to proclaim now the unconditional surrender of all Japanese armed forces, and to provide proper and adequate assurances of their good faith in such action. The alternative for Japan is prompt and utter destruction.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 16 Aug, 2013 02:01 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
Quote:
Modification of the terms of surrender, guaranteeing the future of the imperial dynasty, would have terminated the war much earlier.

Not very likely. Japan was dead set on trying to end the war in a draw with the aid of the Soviets.
That did not change until the Soviets declared war on them.

Offering Japan better surrender terms would not have changed their desire to end the war in a draw.
The Japs knew that the commies woud end the monarchy
and perhaps end Hirohito, as thay had ended the Czar.

David
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 16 Aug, 2013 06:17 am
@miguelito21,
Quote:
Robert Messer in A HISTORY OF OUR TIME, 1995:
"The recent discovery of this evidence [Truman's private journal and letters written at the time he gave the bombing order] [...] reveals, for example that,contrary to his public justification of the bombings as the only way to end the war without a costly invasion of Japan, Truman had already concluded that Japan was about to capitulate.
[...]
The declassification of government documents and presidential papers, and the release of privately held manuscript sources such as Stimson's private diary forced a revision if not a total refutation of accepted orthodoxy.
[...]
In the 1970s the work of Martin Sherwin, Barton Bernstein, Gregg Herken, and others revealed the early and continuing connection U.S. leaders made between the bomb and diplomacy.
[...]
Referring to the Soviet commitment to declare war on Japan three months after the defeat of Germany, Truman noted Stalin's reaffirmation of the agreement he had made with Roosevelt at Yalta: "He'll [Stalin] be in Jap War on August 15th." To this Truman added: "Fini Japs when that comes about." In these two brief sentences Truman set forth his understanding of how the war would end: Soviet entry into the war would finish the Japanese.
[...]
In writing to his wife the following day (July 18), the president underscored the importance of Soviet entry and its impact upon the timing of the war's end. "I've gotten what I came for—Stalin goes to war on August 15 with no strings on it.... I'll say that we'll end the war a year sooner now, and think of the kids who won't be killed! That is the important thing."
The implications of these passages from Truman's diary and letters for the orthodox defense of the bomb's use are devastating: if Soviet entry alone would end the war before an invasion of Japan, the use of atomic bombs cannot be justified as the only alternative to that invasion.
[...]
the issue was no longer when the war would end, but how and on whose terms. If he believed that the war would end with Soviet entry in mid-August, then he must have realized that if the bombs were not used before that date they might well not be used at all. This relationship between the Soviet entry, the bomb, and the end of the war is set forth in Truman's diary account for July 18.
[...]
Truman apparently believed that by using the bomb the war could be ended even before the Soviet entry. The bomb would shorten the war by days rather than months. Its use would not save hundreds of thousands of lives—but it could save victory for the Americans. The race with the Germans had been won. It was now a race with Soviets.
[...]
It is in this light that the new evidence, in both the Potsdam diary and letters to his wife, calls for a reevaluation of the old issue: why were the only two bombs available used in rapid succession so soon after testing, and on the eve of the planned Soviet entry into the war?

Books written in the 1970s constitute "recently discovered evidence" and "new evidence"??? Must be a time warp somewhere.

This was apparently written in 1995. Did the author pull a Rip Van Winkle and sleep 20 years just before writing his article?

Anyway, Truman didn't know that Soviet entry into the war would make Japan surrender. Truman hoped that Soviet entry into the war would make Japan surrender. And he further hoped that if Japan still refused to surrender, Soviet participation would be a big help on invasion day.

But Truman did not in any way know. The author makes it sound like Truman was a reliable psychic or something.

For all Truman knew, Japan would refuse to surrender even with both the Soviets and the A-bombs against them.

Also, referring to those A-bombs as "the only two" is misleading. Those two A-bombs were the first of what would have been a great many A-bombs that would have been produced had the war continued.
JTT

Reply Fri 16 Aug, 2013 10:46 am
@oralloy,
More Oralboy foot stomping and lying.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 17 Aug, 2013 05:57 am
@miguelito21,
Quote:
Gar Alperovitz, Robert L. Messer, Barton J. Bernstein in International Security, Vol. 16, No. 3

Gar Alperovitz is an extremely notorious liar. He is even worse than Zinn.

Zinn only makes things up and then claims they are true. Alperovitz actually twists people's words around and presents them in misleading contexts in order to make it look like there is actual evidence for his fraudulent scenarios.

Quote:
in the late summer of 1945 President Truman and his top advisers were aware that use of the atomic bomb was no longer necessary to avoid an invasion. In his recent survey of the literature on the bomb decision, J. Samuel Walker, chief historian of the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, concludes:
"Careful scholarly treatment of the records and manuscripts opened over the past few years has greatly enhanced our understanding of why the Truman administration used atomic weapons against Japan. Experts continue to disagree on some issues, but critical questions have been answered. The consensus among scholars is that the bomb was not needed to avoid an invasion of Japan.... It is clear that alternatives to the bomb existed and that Truman and his advisers knew it."

That might be a quote from his first edition, but it's not what his revised edition says.

That said, it certainly seems true enough that there was an alternative to invasion and the bombs. All Truman would have to do is refuse to drop the bombs and refuse to invade, then slog through the war as best he could without doing either one.

The fact that it would have been possible for Truman to do this, though, does not seem to be a matter of much significance. Who in their right mind would ever think of such a course of action? It was the height of the most brutal war in human history. Truman had a weapon that would significantly help us fight that war. Why in the world would he decide to hold back for no reason and not use it?

Quote:
The Japanese leaders had decided to surrender and were merely looking for sufficient pretext to convince the die-hard Army Group that Japan had lost the war and must capitulate to the Allies. The entry of Russia into the war would almost certainly have furnished this pretext, and would have been sufficient to convince all responsible leaders that surrender was unavoidable.

This is from the intelligence analysis given to Ike several months after Japan surrendered??

In any case, it relies strongly on hindsight. And not only that, it isn't very accurate.

In reality, Japanese leaders were divided between "those who wanted to surrender" and "those who wanted to end the war in a draw with Soviet aid".

And the leaders "who wanted to end the war in a draw with Soviet aid" were the faction that dominated up to the point when the Soviets declared war. It was only then that Japan's leaders decided to surrender. And by that point both A-bombs had already been dropped.

Quote:
as Japan's condition worsened American leaders understood in advance-well before use of the atomic bomb was authorized- that an invasion was increasingly unlikely.

Actually, American leaders fretted about the potential invasion all the way to the end of the war, even after both A-bombs had been dropped.

Quote:
As early as April 18, 1945, the Joint Intelligence Staff put the crucial issue thus: "If at any time the U.S.S.R. should enter the war, practically all Japanese will realize that absolute defeat is inevitable."
[...]
Marshall's advice to the President on June 18, 1945, was presented seven weeks before the bombing of Hiroshima. During the ensuing period, Japan's condition deteriorated even further, with the result that a Soviet attack appeared likely to have even greater shock impact. On July 6, 1945, for instance, the Combined Intelligence Committee offered this assessment to the Combined Chiefs of Staff: "An entry of the Soviet Union into the war would finally convince the Japanese of the inevitability of complete defeat."

Unfortunately, it seemed that knowledge of inevitable defeat was not preventing Japan from fighting to the death and killing lots of Americans in the process.

Quote:
It is important to note that these "estimates of the situation" preceded the most important indication that the Japanese recognized their situation was impossible: the direct personal intervention of the Emperor beginning in late June.

It is important to note that the only thing Japan did in late June in response to the Emperor's intervention was: redouble their efforts to fight to the death.

That changed finally in mid July, when Japan switched gears and started trying to end the war in a draw. But "trying to end the war in a draw" does not count as surrendering.

It was only on August 10, after both A-bombs had already been dropped, that Japan started trying to surrender.
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Sat 17 Aug, 2013 07:42 am
@peter jeffrey cobb,
The moral of both historic events as I see the pictures in those links, is that mankind did some horrific tragic events.
I hope they will use the history behind those tragic events to prevent it from occurring again in the future.
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 17 Aug, 2013 08:40 am
@rosborne979,
Quote:
The history he is reporting is accepted as accurate by a lot more than just Americans.

Are you referring to our allies?
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sat 17 Aug, 2013 08:51 am
@rosborne979,
Quote:
That was not implied by my statement at all. Did you miss the point intentionally or did you really just miss it.

I may have missed it, would you like to use more detail?

When I think of the fire bombing of japan and the Holocaust I think of genocide.

I think that they both had reasons that lead up to each event that caused each military to finds ways to justify their actions in their own minds as being good for the world or at least good for themselves.
firefly

Reply Sat 17 Aug, 2013 11:34 am
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
When I think of the fire bombing of japan and the Holocaust I think of genocide.

I think that's because you are not using the term "genocide" accurately.
Quote:
Genocide is "the deliberate and systematic destruction, in whole or in part, of an ethnic, racial, Caste, religious, or national group", though what constitutes enough of a "part" to qualify as genocide has been subject to much debate by legal scholars.

While a precise definition varies among genocide scholars, a legal definition is found in the 1948 United Nations Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide (CPPCG). Article 2 of this convention defines genocide as "any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such: killing members of the group; causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group; deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life, calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part; imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group; [and] forcibly transferring children of the group to another group.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genocide

In the case of the Holocaust, specific groups were targeted for extermination and annihilation, mainly on the basis of religious and ethnic factors, with the intention of eliminating these groups from within a society.

In the case of the atomic bombings, the victims were residents of cities in a country involved in active warfare. The cities, and the victims, were not targeted for reasons other than their location in an enemy country during a time of war.

I honestly cannot see any connection between the Holocaust and the bombings in Japan.

The killing of "innocent" civilians during a time of war, and the sort of "ethnic cleansing" that goes on with genocide, may both be morally reprehensible, but they are not equivalent, and there are significant differences which should not be blurred, if one wants to appraise historical events with any degree of accuracy.
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 17 Aug, 2013 12:08 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
In the case of the atomic bombings, the victims were residents of cities in a country involved in active warfare. The cities, and the victims, were not targeted for reasons other than their location in an enemy country during a time of war.

Kinda the way the citizens in the world trade center died? I wonder if the Germans seen the Jews the same way. The Jews were the Nazi enemies and if they had not been in their country they would have not been targeted?

Quote:

I think that's because you are not using the term "genocide" accurately.

Have scholars come to a consensus for a precise definition of genocide? If not I wonder why that might be, could it be because their side does not want to be charged with it?

Why do you think that the US wanted to be exempt from ever being charged with genocide if a world court ever found them guilty?

This comes from your source

Quote:
International prosecution of genocide
By ad hoc tribunals
Nuon Chea, the Khmer Rouge's chief ideologist, before the Cambodian Genocide Tribunal on 5 December 2011.

All signatories to the CPPCG are required to prevent and punish acts of genocide, both in peace and wartime, though some barriers make this enforcement difficult. In particular, some of the signatories—namely, Bahrain, Bangladesh, India, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore, the United States, Vietnam, Yemen, and Yugoslavia—signed with the proviso that no claim of genocide could be brought against them at the International Court of Justice without their consent.[43] Despite official protests from other signatories (notably Cyprus and Norway) on the ethics and legal standing of these reservations, the immunity from prosecution they grant has been invoked from time to time, as when the United States refused to allow a charge of genocide brought against it by Yugoslavia following the 1999 Kosovo War.[44]

It is commonly accepted[citation needed] that, at least since World War II, genocide has been illegal under customary international law as a peremptory norm, as well as under conventional international law. Acts of genocide are generally difficult to establish for prosecution, because a chain of accountability must be established. International criminal courts and tribunals function primarily because the states involved are incapable or unwilling to prosecute crimes of this magnitude themselves.
firefly

Reply Sat 17 Aug, 2013 12:56 pm
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
Kinda the way the citizens in the world trade center died? I wonder if the Germans seen the Jews the same way. The Jews were the Nazi enemies and if they had not been in their country they would have not been targeted

Your thinking is extremely muddled.

People at the WTC died as the result of terrorist actions, on the part of individuals, not as the result of active warfare between the U.S. and the government of another country.

So now you want to equate all terrorist actions with acts of war, and instances of genocide? What's your basis for doing that--body counts? Rolling Eyes

And, I have news for you, reasoning logic, the Jews were targeted in Poland, Russia, and Hungary, as part of the Holocaust--it was not confined to Germany. You cannot say that, "if they had not been in their country they would have not been targeted." They were targeted for extermination, outside of Germany--simply because they were Jews. The Holocaust was not confined within the boundaries of Germany.
Quote:
Why do you think that the US wanted to be exempt from ever being charged with genocide if a world court ever found them guilty?

There are legal definitions of genocide--I posted one. There are also legal definitions of war crimes. And the United States could be charged under either of those.

The problem is that you are making up your own definitions.

firefly

Reply Sat 17 Aug, 2013 01:10 pm
@reasoning logic,
You might find this interesting, reasoning logic. It is only one example of what went on outside of Germany, regarding the extermination of non-German Jews.
Quote:
Babi Yar

Babi Yar (Russian: Бабий Яр; Ukrainian: Бабин Яр, Babyn Yar) is a ravine in the Ukrainian capital Kiev and a site of a series of massacres carried out by the Nazis during their campaign against the Soviet Union.

The most notorious and the best documented of these massacres took place on September 29–30, 1941, wherein 33,771 Jews were killed in a single operation. The decision to kill all the Jews in Kiev was made by the military governor, Major-General Kurt Eberhard, the Police Commander for Army Group South, SS-Obergruppenführer Friedrich Jeckeln, and the Einsatzgruppe C Commander Otto Rasch. It was carried out by Sonderkommando 4a soldiers, along with the aid of the SD and SS Police Battalions backed by the local police.

The massacre was the largest single mass killing for which the Nazi regime and its collaborators were responsible during its campaign against the Soviet Union and is considered to be "the largest single massacre in the history of the Holocaust" to that particular date, surpassed only by the Aktion Erntefest of November 1943 with 42,000–43,000 victims, and the 1941 Odessa massacre of more than 50,000 Jews in October 1941, committed by the Romanian troops.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babi_Yar

That's genocide, not an act of war, reasoning logic.
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 17 Aug, 2013 01:12 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
So now you want to equate all terrorist actions with acts of war, and instances of genocide? What's your basis for doing that--body counts?

Quote:
People at the WTC died as the result of terrorist actions, on the part of individuals, not as the result of active warfare between the U.S. and the government of another country.

Who Is terrorism defined by the people committing it or the people who oppose the act?

Quote:
There are legal definitions of genocide--I posted one. There are also legal definitions of war crimes. And the United States could be charged under either of those.

How does that work when Bahrain, Bangladesh, India, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore, the United States, Vietnam, Yemen, and Yugoslavia—signed with the provision that no claim of genocide could be brought against them at the International Court of Justice without their consent?
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sat 17 Aug, 2013 01:14 pm
@firefly,
Quote:

That's genocide, not an act of war, reasoning logic.

Are you sure your not talking about ethnic cleansing?