The moral differences between the holocaust and bombing Japan

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2013 03:53 pm
@JTT,
I'm not surprised that you are a student of Zinn
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2013 04:03 pm
@JTT,
Unfortunately JTT you are so utterly rigid in your beliefs that it is very difficult to conduct an enjoyable discussion with you.

You label the opinions of Howard Zinn "The Truth," which is probably in keeping with Zinn's assessment of his writings, but there are plenty of historians who don't see historical facts the way he does. I suppose they are all repugnant liars who can't stand the "The Truth."

You're consistently passionate in your beliefs...I'll give you that, but you are equally overbearing.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2013 04:04 pm
@reasoning logic,
What's with this "we" Kimosabe?
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2013 04:41 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

I'm not surprised that you are a student of Zinn

I tink JTT actually is Howard Zinn.

(Btw, I want to thank those of you who quote JTT's posts in your responses. At least that way I can tell what you're responding to. I've had that basket case on 'Ignore' for quite a while now and reuse to read its idiotic posts except in a "quote" context.)
reasoning logic

Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2013 04:53 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
We are all guilty of not having an empathical or ethical radius that includes others at times.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2013 04:54 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank, you keep talking about the difference in American attitudes toward Japan and Germany. But in the post I'm responding to you make it pretty clear that what you're really talking about is popular attitudes toward Japanese-Americans vs German-Americans. I agree. German-Americans were not consigned to American concentration camps the way the Americans of Japanese descent were. But that's a different kettle of fish from the way we saw the countries of Japan and Germany. Those were both the enemy. I've heard from WW II veterans that in the European Theater of Operations (ETO), American servicemen were discouraged by their commanders from even using the word 'German' to refer to the enemy. If you think 'Jap' is a bad nickname, what about 'Fritz' and 'Jerry'? Intended to be equally insulting.

I quite agree with Farmerman that neither Truman nor any other level-headed POTUS would have hesitated a moment in ordering a nuclear strike on Germany if we'd had the weapon ready in time.
reasoning logic

Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2013 05:49 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
I quite agree with Farmerman that neither Truman nor any other level-headed POTUS would have hesitated a moment in ordering a nuclear strike on Germany if we'd had the weapon ready in time.

When it comes to our goals you do not see a problem with what ever means we use to come to the end?

I agree with a lot of other people on some of these issues even tho we share so many other differences.

Would it be fair to say that "If other terrorists were able to detonate a few nukes here in our country killing many innocent civilians that they too would be level headed if they succeeded in their objective?

neologist

Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2013 06:05 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:
. . . .Would it be fair to say that "If other terrorists were able to detonate a few nukes here in our country killing many innocent civilians that they too would be level headed if they succeeded in their objective?
Another way of saying history books favor the winners. It may be true; but it doesn't help
reasoning logic

Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2013 06:20 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
Another way of saying history books favor the winners. It may be true; but it doesn't help

I do seem to agree with you at times,

What do you think religious books favor? Could some of them favor dogma? Does it help?
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2013 06:36 pm
@reasoning logic,
As neologist has already suggested -- at least by inference -- such considerations are irrelevant to this discussion.

It's not a matter of history being written by the victors. The victors are not capable of changing the facts; they use the same facts that the vanquished have to use. They just put a different spin on it. I completely disagree with oralloy when he accuses Howard Zinn of lying or altering the facts. Zinn's research and scholarship are impeccable. It's his one-sided JTT-like slant on those facts that make his conclusions less than reliable and much of his work distasteful to the average American.

No, it's a simple matter of pragmatism and has nothing to do with moral and/or ethical considerations; those come later when the war is over. At the time, it is the responsibility of the people in charge to do what is best for their side, to make sure that their side wins the war. Morality or ethics have nothing to do with it. And that's one reason why there can be no meaningful comparison between Hitler's Holocaust and the US bombing of Japan. The Jews posed no clear and present danger to Hitler except, perhaps, as potential political opponents. We were at all-out war with Japan.
neologist

Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2013 07:23 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:
. . . . What do you think religious books favor? Could some of them favor dogma? . . . .
My favorite dogma is a King Charles Spaniel, small poodle mix. His name is Tobias Fleabitis; he doesn't know much Latin, so we just call him Toby.
http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/neologist/Toby5_13.jpg
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2013 07:39 pm
@neologist,
Forgive me if I've said this to you before, neo, but my karma ran over your dogma.
RealEyes

Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2013 07:43 pm
@reasoning logic,
Would you like someone to make a case for or against a stated thesis?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2013 08:05 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
Forgive me if I've said this to you before, neo, but my karma ran over your dogma.
That was Stanley. He got so good at chasin' them karmas, He finally caught one.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2013 08:18 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
No, it's a simple matter of pragmatism and has nothing to do with moral and/or ethical considerations; those come later when the war is over. At the time, it is the responsibility of the people in charge to do what is best for their side, to make sure that their side wins the war. Morality or ethics have nothing to do with it.

You would know that was crap, Merry, if you weren't such a coward and you heard this. The war crimes trials at Nuremberg and Tokyo established that what you've stated above is totally false.

The one-sidededness you speak of is the doing of the US largely, and the UK, Russia. The governments of these countries have never followed the ideals set down after WWII. It's never really been expected of Russia/the USSR because they were the bad guys, the evil doers.

Turns out that it was the US that has been the evil doer.

Given the depth of your delusion, if you were Germans instead of Americans, you would be making all these phony excuses for Hitler and the Nazis because the US has done the equivalent in evil deeds.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 01:53 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
No, it's a simple matter of pragmatism and has nothing to do with moral and/or ethical considerations; those come later when the war is over. At the time, it is the responsibility of the people in charge to do what is best for their side, to make sure that their side wins the war. Morality or ethics have nothing to do with it.

I once heard Rush Limbaugh say something very similar, He said wars are won by Killing civilians as in targeting them.

Quote:
The Jews posed no clear and present danger to Hitler except, perhaps, as potential political opponents. We were at all-out war with Japan.

Wars are fought for what ever reasons that are in front of the the people in dispute and not for reasons that we hold to be clear or unclear dangers. They seem to be fought because one side thinks the other side has done something wrong "like getting in their way"
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 03:37 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

Frank, you keep talking about the difference in American attitudes toward Japan and Germany. But in the post I'm responding to you make it pretty clear that what you're really talking about is popular attitudes toward Japanese-Americans vs German-Americans. I agree. German-Americans were not consigned to American concentration camps the way the Americans of Japanese descent were. But that's a different kettle of fish from the way we saw the countries of Japan and Germany. Those were both the enemy. I've heard from WW II veterans that in the European Theater of Operations (ETO), American servicemen were discouraged by their commanders from even using the word 'German' to refer to the enemy. If you think 'Jap' is a bad nickname, what about 'Fritz' and 'Jerry'? Intended to be equally insulting.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

As for whether Truman would or would not do anything...I will continue to call my guesses about that..."my guesses." I think your certainty is a bit much.
Setanta

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 04:25 am
In Germany, in 1938, Hahn and Strassmann of the Kaiser Wilhelm Institute in Berlin successfully bombarded uranium atoms to produce fission. The amounts were far too small to get a chain reaction such as that in a bomb, but the implications were not lost on physicists. In 1939, using Einstein's prestige, physicists in the United States sent a letter signed by Einstein to FDR calling on him to investigate the possibility of using fission to produce a powerful bomb. In Britain, Frisch and Peierls at the University of Birmingham calculated the critical mass of uranium 235, and the energy which could be released by that critical mass, which was less than 25 pounds--indicating that a bomb was feasible.

The Manhattan Project and the British tube alloy project were initiated before the war began in Europe, and before Japan was a threat on anyone's horizon. The original impetus for atom bomb development was to produce a bomb before Germany did, or at least as quickly as Germany did. The original purpose of both projects was predicated on Germany developing such a bomb.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 04:37 am
@Frank Apisa,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
There is nothing "insulting" about either saying the Japs or the Fritzes.
Japs is simply an abbreviation, like Dave is for David or Bob is for Robert.
If u wanna make it an insult, u need to add a pejorative adjective,
e.g., sneaky Japs, dirty Japs, brutal Japs etc.

Lustig Andrei wrote:
I quite agree with Farmerman that neither Truman nor any other level-headed
POTUS would have hesitated a moment in ordering a nuclear strike on Germany if we'd had the weapon ready in time.
Tho there is nothing rong
with favoring your own race,
which is a natural thing to do, in this case we must not lose sight
of the fact that we were at war with the Germen, tho not on a racial basis.
Accordingly, we must not give aid and comfort to the enemy; that 'd be treason.

Frank Apisa wrote:
We'll have to agree to disagree.

As for whether Truman would or would not do anything...I will continue to call my guesses
about that..."my guesses." I think your certainty is a bit much.
I believe that u have a 9th Amendment right to GUESS, Frank.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 05:14 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
In Germany, in 1938, Hahn and Strassmann of the Kaiser Wilhelm Institute in Berlin successfully bombarded uranium atoms to produce fission. The amounts were far too small to get a chain reaction such as that in a bomb, but the implications were not lost on physicists. In 1939, using Einstein's prestige, physicists in the United States sent a letter signed by Einstein to FDR calling on him to investigate the possibility of using fission to produce a powerful bomb. In Britain, Frisch and Peierls at the University of Birmingham calculated the critical mass of uranium 235, and the energy which could be released by that critical mass, which was less than 25 pounds--indicating that a bomb was feasible.

The Manhattan Project and the British tube alloy project were initiated before the war began in Europe, and before Japan was a threat on anyone's horizon. The original impetus for atom bomb development was to produce a bomb before Germany did, or at least as quickly as Germany did. The original purpose of both projects was predicated on Germany developing such a bomb.
R u sure about that??
Ever hear of the Rape of Nanking (1937), the capital of China?
I dunno, but I suspect that the Chinese felt threatened by the Japs by then.
Most folks accept 1939 as the beginning of WWII in Europe.
(Some have plausibly argued that the Second World War began in 1914.)

I was under the impression that the Manhattan Project
got started around approximately 1941 or 1942. Yes ?

David