The moral differences between the holocaust and bombing Japan

oralloy

Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2013 12:13 am
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:
oralloy wrote:
The Smithsonian exhibit was not tolerated because it was filled with outrageous lies.

Really? What were the lies that they were purposing?

All the fountains of dishonesty blur together. I don't remember which lies were included in that particular fountain of dishonesty.

However, from the article that you cut and pasted, I see that one of the exhibit's lies was about the casualty estimates for the invasion.

As lies go, that is a pretty significant and egregious lie.

reasoning logic wrote:
What kind of world do you want to leave your grandchildren A propaganda world?

It should be pretty clear from the way I am demolishing all the propaganda that you guys are cutting and pasting, that I am very much opposed to propaganda.

Quote:
All my life, to cite just one example, I have believed, as you probably also have, that the atomic bombing of Japan avoided the necessity of an invasion that would have resulted in one million American deaths. It appears that this number, so frequently quoted, is not based on the military analyses done at the time:

...military staff studies in the spring of 1945 estimated 30,000 to 50,000 casualties--dead and wounded--in "Olympic", the invasion of Kyushu. Based on the Okinawa campaign, that would have meant perhaps 10,000 American dead. Military planners made no firm estimates for...the second invasion, but losses clearly would have been higher.

(That was another quote from the proposed Smithsonian exhibit.) But if the losses for the second invasion were five times higher, that still totals 60,000 dead, not one million. Doesn't a Smithsonian curator have a right to put this information before the public?

The War Department commissioned a study that estimated that an invasion of the Japanese home islands would result in serious injuries to 1.7 million to 4 million American soldiers, and American fatalities would range from 400,000 to 800,000.

Former President Hoover, who was advising President Truman and had access to fairly high level information (though he was told nothing of the A-bombs), referred to the potential invasion of the Japanese home islands as costing the lives of 500,000 to 1,000,000 American soldiers.

He may have been referring to the previous study, but since the numbers are slightly different, it might also signal a second study with similar estimates.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2013 12:56 am
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:
Let me guess, You think that America believed that they had "extenuating circumstances," but you do not think that Hitler believed he had an "extenuating circumstances," on his hands and was trying to clean up Europe?

If anyone thinks that Hitler had extenuating circumstances justifying the Holocaust, I recommend that that person be DroneStriked.

(Thermobaric warheads please.)
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2013 01:52 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
These same old farts "that you old farts look up to, thought segregation was normal

It was; it is.

Is Sunday your favorite day of the week? Rolling Eyes
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2013 04:51 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

I think Truman would have been less likely to okay the nuclear bombing of German cities (although some of the German cities were obliterated through conventional weapons) than Japanese cities...primarily because of the ethnic, cultural, and perceived physical differences.

Oh,c'mon, Frank, you know better than that. The fire-bombing of Dresden was in many ways a more horrendous event than either the Hiroshima or Nagasaki attacks. Harry "the buck stops here" Truman would, I'm quite sure, have had no qualms whatever about dropping a nuke on Frankfurt or Manheim or Bonn. But we didn't yet have the bomb when Hitler's little empire fell apart and we could celebrate V-E Day (that's 'Victory in Europe' for you youngsters) in April. The first successful test of an A-bomb wasn't conducted until July at the White Sands range in Almagordo, NM. So we then rushed into production of a couple more of the new 'devices' to insure that we could celebrate V-J ('Victory in Japan') Day in August instead of fighting on til maybe Christmas or January of 1946. As Set has already pointed out, the Japanese just fought on...and on...and on.

Andy, anyone who lived back then saw the difference between the way we thought of the Germans (Nazis) and the way we thought of the Japanese.

In any case, all we can do is to guess...and I choose to guess that Truman would NOT have used the "gadget" on Germany...but had little trouble using it on Japan.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2013 05:16 am
@Frank Apisa,
So WHAT ??
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2013 05:17 am
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

Quote:
These same old farts "that you old farts look up to, thought segregation was normal

It was; it is.

Is Sunday your favorite day of the week? Rolling Eyes
No; Y ??
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2013 08:15 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

So WHAT ??

So what...what???
izzythepush

Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2013 08:18 am
@Frank Apisa,
This should help straighten things out, and explain why Cheetos never caught on over here.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2013 08:33 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
...and I choose to guess that Truman would NOT have used the "gadget" on Germany...but had little trouble using it on Japan.
You would be wrong on that. Einstein met with Roosevelt in 1939 to warn him of the new physics and the fct that Germany had suspended all exprots of uranium oxides and Autunite and carnotite from the areas under her control. Roosevelt began a research committee that wound up , in 1942, as the Manhattan District Project. There is a museum at the Oak Ridge Labs (ORNL) which shows that Germany was the pimary target and that our spy (Actually Britain) had discovered the German plans for the "NEw York Bomber" which was only designed to deliver one type weapon on NYC. We were then in a hurry. Only Germany's surrender intervened and the entire project became devoted to Japan. (In order to help eliminate or reduce loss of life to the Allied troops that would invade the Japanese Home Islands.

All the added story , including the US culpability in actually "Starting WWII" came later, as time separated folks from facts.

We would have bombed the NAzis had we needed to. We could have had a perfect platform to deliver several bombs. (We had an ally, Britain, that was actually a partner in the Manhattan Project)

Their project name was something like the Alloy Tubes Project (sounded like a public works project)
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2013 08:37 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Quote:
...and I choose to guess that Truman would NOT have used the "gadget" on Germany...but had little trouble using it on Japan.
You would be wrong on that. Einstein met with Roosevelt in 1939 to warn him of the new physics and the fct that Germany had suspended all exprots of uranium oxides and Autunite and carnotite from the areas under her control. Roosevelt began a research committee that wound up , in 1942, as the Manhattan District Project. There is a museum at the Oak Ridge Labs (ORNL) which shows that Germany was the pimary target and that our spy (Actually Britain) had discovered the German plans for the "NEw York Bomber" which was only designed to deliver one type weapon on NYC. We were then in a hurry. Only Germany's surrender intervened and the entire project became devoted to Japan. (In order to help eliminate or reduce loss of life to the Allied troops that would invade the Japanese Home Islands.

All the added story , including the US culpability in actually "Starting WWII" came later, as time separated folks from facts.

We would have bombed the NAzis had we needed to. We could have had a perfect platform to deliver several bombs. (We had an ally, Britain, that was actually a partner in the Manhattan Project)

Their project name was something like the Alloy Tubes Project (sounded like a public works project)

Thank you for your guess that my guess would have been wrong.

For the record...Truman made the decision...and I stated that my guess is that TRUMAN would not have used the "gadget" on Germany.

Truman had some quirks that Roosevelt did not.

My guess is that your guess about my first guess being wrong...is that your guess is wrong.
farmerman

Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2013 08:47 am
@Frank Apisa,
My "guess" is based upon evidence. Yours is a hunch based upon your belief that Truman would have continued the costly war when a weapon to end it was at hand.

We didn't go into the Manhattan District Project for the sole purpose of bombing Japan.
You should go and visit the museum at Oak Ridge some time. It follows the history and politics of "Appliances" and "the gadget" and the "peaceful atom"
It even includes the fascinating ,mistakes we made in developing the H bomb after WWII. (We created a bomb of 5 times the destructive potential than calculated because we didn't realize that the two isotopes of Lithium were interchangeable )
JTT

Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2013 10:16 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Yours is a hunch based upon your belief that Truman would have continued the costly war when a weapon to end it was at hand.

It's both immoral and illegal to target civilians in order to shorten a war or protect your own soldiers/civilians. War crimes are war crimes.

But I don't expect the posturing, dishonest "academic" to hear the other side. Same for Frank Apisa.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2013 10:22 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

My "guess" is based upon evidence. Yours is a hunch based upon your belief that Truman would have continued the costly war when a weapon to end it was at hand.

We didn't go into the Manhattan District Project for the sole purpose of bombing Japan.
You should go and visit the museum at Oak Ridge some time. It follows the history and politics of "Appliances" and "the gadget" and the "peaceful atom"
It even includes the fascinating ,mistakes we made in developing the H bomb after WWII. (We created a bomb of 5 times the destructive potential than calculated because we didn't realize that the two isotopes of Lithium were interchangeable )

I did not address why we went into the Manhattan Project...nor did I address what Roosevelt might do.

I made a guess about Truman...and you made a guess about my guess.

0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2013 11:01 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:
No, "credence" does not need to be given to that belief. I mean, not everyone believes laws should be followed (I'm referring to malum in se laws). These people are often referred to as sociopaths.

Just consider how many sociopaths there are that have contributed to this thread. You rarely to never hear folks say that US administrations [UK and others too] should be held to account for their numerous war crimes and terrorist activities.

You, Tico, are among the leaders when it comes to being a sociopath. You rank right up there with Oralloy, BillRM, Setanta, ... .

Your premise is false based on the fact that being unconcerned does not equal sociopathology. It only equals having more important things to occupy one's thoughts and daily activities. Now if you had a baby to feed, would you be on the computer, reading my post, if the child was hungry and crying. I believe not. Now extrapolate that towards others and you'll see that your attempting to reprioritize other's concerns is just your personal brand of self-empowerment. However, in the real world, you have no empowerment, nor any authority to redirect anyone's concerns on a public forum.

Simply put, you are only pretending to have an ethical right to be on your soapbox; it is really just your self-annointing of yourself to have a self-rightous mission. Sorry. Your game of self-annointing with a mission is quite boring, in my opinion. I really have no need to stroke your ego; you should find a more ego stroking venue, in my opinion.
Foofie

Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2013 11:17 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

...In any case, all we can do is to guess...and I choose to guess that Truman would NOT have used the "gadget" on Germany...but had little trouble using it on Japan.

But, you are not explaining your guess, so the reader too must guess what drives your guess. The "inference" being racist attitudes towards Asians? Or, perhaps, the possible concern that the large German-American population might have felt like it would be hard to remain Americans, if that occurred?

Now that you brought up that puzzle, what if Fascist Italy was still in the war. Would the U.S. have used it on Italy? Now the guess, by someone, might include the inference that America's perception of Italians was not like America's perception of Germans. You might have opened up a can of worms, so to speak. It might be a very difficult question to ask, considering that in the late nineteenth century, I believe only British, Germans, Scandanavians were considered as white as a snowflake. Some were just non-white; not Black, but not white. Jews from Russia were Oriental, by the way.

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2013 12:12 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

JTT wrote:

Quote:
No, "credence" does not need to be given to that belief. I mean, not everyone believes laws should be followed (I'm referring to malum in se laws). These people are often referred to as sociopaths.

Just consider how many sociopaths there are that have contributed to this thread. You rarely to never hear folks say that US administrations [UK and others too] should be held to account for their numerous war crimes and terrorist activities.

You, Tico, are among the leaders when it comes to being a sociopath. You rank right up there with Oralloy, BillRM, Setanta, ... .

Your premise is false based on the fact that being unconcerned does not equal sociopathology. It only equals having more important things to occupy one's thoughts and daily activities. Now if you had a baby to feed, would you be on the computer, reading my post, if the child was hungry and crying. I believe not. Now extrapolate that towards others and you'll see that your attempting to reprioritize other's concerns is just your personal brand of self-empowerment. However, in the real world, you have no empowerment, nor any authority to redirect anyone's concerns on a public forum.

Simply put, you are only pretending to have an ethical right to be on your soapbox; it is really just your self-annointing of yourself to have a self-rightous mission. Sorry. Your game of self-annointing with a mission is quite boring, in my opinion. I really have no need to stroke your ego; you should find a more ego stroking venue, in my opinion.

It is a "can of worms", Foofie...but it is well worth considering.

The Japanese Americans certainly were treated differently from the German Americans...and Truman's biases are reasonably well documented.

I am strictly making a guess, but my GUESS is that Truman would have been much, much, much less likely to use that "gadget" on Germany (or Italy)...than on Japan.

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2013 12:19 pm
@Foofie,
Just reply to it, if you must. No need to quote the little pismire.

Better yet ..

http://imageshack.us/a/img836/1068/4hcg.jpg
Foofie

Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2013 12:27 pm
@Frank Apisa,
There's one more variable, perhaps, in the decision as to whom to bomb. And that might include the aesthetics at that time, not any racism. Meaning, as hard as it might be to accept, in bombing Germany or Italy (for sure Italy), how atrocious would it be to annihilate all the good looking Germans or Italians. Knowing that there is likely more than one Sophia Loren look alike in Italy, what a sin against beauty it would be to even think the thought of bombing Italy. OMG, what a waste of beauty. A sin against humankind.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2013 01:34 pm
@Ticomaya,
You really hate to hear the truth, doncha, Tico.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2013 03:49 pm
@reasoning logic,
Are you really suggesting that Nazi Germany considered the Jews their wartime enemies and that their efforts to exterminate them amounted to warfare?

I suspect you are, which is quite sad.