I Am Learning to Speak Canadian. Please help.

Setanta

Reply Wed 19 Jun, 2013 09:35 am
I suspect that it peeves the hell out of Canajuns to be mistaken for 'Mericans.
Joe Nation

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 04:44 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I suspect that it peeves the hell out of Canajuns to be mistaken for 'Mericans.

True that.
About as much as when American ask Australians what part of England they are from?

Joe(What say you, Guv'na?)Nation
ehBeth

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 06:23 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

I always think that a Canadian sounds like an Aberdonian trying to sound American.

that makes sense when you're speaking to someone who's from the Ottawa Valley

further west, the Ukrainian influence has created a very different sound and, well, Newfoundlanders sound like something else instead. Something else marvellous - but never to be confused with any kind of American (well, maybe someone from the Chesapeake sounds a tiny bit similar)
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 05:38 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

About as much as when American ask Australians what part of England they are from?

Joe(What say you, Guv'na?)Nation

Dat's true, too!
ehBeth

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 06:18 pm
@margo,

when General Lee visited Toronto, we spent some time in a bar with a waitress from Newfoundland

I don't think he ever understood a word she said, but he enjoyed listening to her.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 06:28 pm

love me some Shaun Majumder
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 06:34 pm
@ehBeth,
Does that guy remind you of Thomas?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 06:47 am
Note: I have been informed that although Americans think this:

xxxo

at the end of a note means Three Kisses and a Hug.

Calgarians are of the opinion that it means:
Three Hugs and One Kiss.

Joe(I am being re-edjumacated)Nation
0 Replies

Debacle

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 08:09 am
I hear perfectly well what you're saying, but I don't think you're saying what I'm hearing.

There be the rub.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 09:01 am
@Debacle,
I'm not speaking too fast, you're listening too slow.
Debacle

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 10:08 am
@ehBeth,
You're indubiously correct, m'dear. It's this infernal flea market ear trumpet what's dubious.
0 Replies

Debacle

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2013 06:51 pm
I bet them fellers from Newfunland would have no trouble understanding Blaster Bates, the most infamous demolition expert in the history of the British Isles.

0 Replies

artisinha786

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2013 07:23 am
Many types of the best language converter tools are available in the internet. Search a good tool and other informative information which is helping to learning speak Canadian language like as video, books and etc.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2013 07:31 am
@artisinha786,
You do realize that this is a joke thread, right? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

GorDie

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2015 08:01 pm
@Joe Nation,
Yo. = means "hey / hello"

the term "tipoff" is used when talking about police or girlfriends, "Who tipped off my mom?" (and told her I left the cup on the table without a coaster.)
* a coaster = is placed under a cup so that it does not leave a water stain on the wood. *
"The cops are here!" said the crook (thief). "You tipped them off?"
"Who tipped of my girlfriend that I was going to a party? She is texting me, saying that I am not allowed to go."

anyways. I would love to help you learn how to speak fluent, cultural, function English. Canadian English is JUST called English. we use 100% all the same grammar rules.

One tip.
90km = 55m 50km=30m. nothing else matters about kilometers vs miles
water boils at 100'c.
water freezes at 0'c.
30'c Celsius is a hot day.
we still measure pool temperature in Fahrenheit.
we cook in Fahrenheit.
and it can still snow at 10'c. but 20'c is great weather.
-20'c is when it starts to really feel cold when the wind is blowing.

second tip. "Perspiring" is a word I have heard so little... I actually wonder what it means.

it is kms not KMs

When measuring distance. not speed. whether you use miles or kilometers doesn't matter to us. All major Canadian cities are close enough to the American boarder and our Cars say Miles in them too.

about -
ah - bow - t.
Is how I say it.
Owe. as in "Owe I hurt my self." [Ouch]

oh ahahah. Calgarian. I'll stop there. they are like hicks of Canada. They are so stuck in their own little world I wouldn't know if they even know which direction the way out of town is XD

The great Plains XD ahah. I would suggest that if your having breakfast. Pretend your in the USA. there is no difference. there is a restaurant for every variety and none is a specific Canadian culture. You have people who go to THEIR OWN favorite places which they pretend are famous.. but really. Welcome to whatever you want. This is Canada. we should have it all.
Worlds richest country.

peace.
0 Replies

GorDie

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2015 08:05 pm
@Joe Nation,
Eh. are you already in Canada?
I am Canadian eh. So I am interested if your actually in my country already.
I don't really know what I care. But, you know eh.

You use the turn "eh" as an acknowledgement. not as a habitual utterance.

The term "eh" means technically the same things as, "okay" when you ask a question or are prepping for a statement.

"okay. I have the tickets."
"Ehh, I was wondering if you were gonna buy me one."
"Eh, I always do."
"NO you don't."
"eh, take it easy on a guy. Hey/eh. do you want popcorn"?"
"You owe me money don't you-"
Joe Nation

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2015 11:13 am
@GorDie,
Well, the Calgarian and I are no longer together, so the urgency to learn proper Canadian is also gone.

Anyone seen or heard from Mame ? She disappeared without a word.

Joe(NYC)Nation
0 Replies

eglwyswas

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2015 01:47 pm
@Joe Nation,
You should definitely use the metric system for measurement. The one part of metric that I have completely adapted to is the use of Celsius. No need to transfer into Fahrenheit. If you live long enough using Celsius it will become second nature. As to the pronunciation of "about" I am not sure if there is an adequate spelling for the "ou" pronunciation here in Canada. "Aboot the hoos" just doesn't cut it. Not sure as well that you can overuse "eh". Being an American from Alabama who has lived in Canada for 43 years trust me, the accent CAN be mastered!
George

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2015 07:46 pm
@eglwyswas,
eglwyswas wrote:
. . . If you live long enough using Celsius it will become second nature. . .
I don't have that kind of life expectancy.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2015 03:04 am
I don't see the metric system as being any more rational than U.S. Standard. Anyway, i like to piss people off by using fahrenheit. The Canajuns may be dedicated to the metric system, but they still sell butter in 455 gram blocks (one pound), and when you buy anti-freeze (a necessity in Canadia), it's sold in four liter jugs. Basically, a lot of things didn't change, they just relabeled it. M & M Meat Markets label everything in pounds and ounces.
0 Replies