I Am Learning to Speak Canadian. Please help.

Setanta

Reply Fri 31 May, 2013 09:24 am
The first time i went to Cana-duh, i stopped at a TD bank to change some money. There were no other customers in the bank, and there were four cashiers, all of them looking off into the distance with severe looks on their faces. I had no clue. I happened to look down, and saw that my feet were over a white line marked on the floor. I stepped back, putting my toes right on the line. All the cashiers smiled at me and nodded. I said: "**** you people," and found somewhere else to change my money.
Joe Nation

Reply Fri 31 May, 2013 09:47 am
@Setanta,
There was considerable discussion while the Calgarians were here as to whether it was permissible to cross a street while :
1) the Don't Walk Sign was still on
and
2) there wasn't any traffic within a quarter mile (hmm. .25/1 :X/1.6= .4) POINT FOUR Kms in either direction.

I pointed out to them that New Yorkers cross streets whenever they damned well please, staring into the eyes of the drivers and DARING them to hit them.

Joe(the paperwork isn't worth hitting anybody, so they don't. Mostly.)Nation
Setanta

Reply Fri 31 May, 2013 10:17 am
Like the time i was pounding on the hood of this clown's Mercedes and yelling: "Sure, go ahead, hit me with your dirty Nazi car--you obviously have lots of money at stake in a law suit." He looked ready to explode, but he stopped, and he didn't say a word.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 31 May, 2013 11:11 am
Stereotypes about Canada . . .

I love the part about eating poutine, bacon and maple syrup . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 31 May, 2013 11:15 am
Russell Peters is just about the funniest comedian in Canada . . . how to become a Canadian.

ossobuco

Reply Fri 31 May, 2013 02:04 pm
@Joe Nation,
I should pay attention to your conversion efforts - I think it would be easier if I just went ahead and spent time doing some memorizing and self testing (just like fourth grade back in the old days) as I weary of looking conversions up (http://www.onlineconversion.com/). I've worked with millimeters and centimeters and meters but have generally shined on worrying about kilometers. Now that I read some Brit newspapers and various non american english speaking food blogs, I'm a busy bee looking up how the hell much flour to add, weight wise. I'm probably not horrible about guessing re F and C temperatures, but I'm not great at it either.

Mercy, it's warm and windy here today.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 31 May, 2013 09:39 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

You can make your gravy however you want. Poutine is made with real cheese.

nuh unh

poutine gravy cannot be spicy

poutine is made with curds, not cheese

(you think he'd know this stuff by now)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 31 May, 2013 09:41 pm
@Joe Nation,
You have to decide where you stand in the butter tart wars.

This is more serious than you'd expect.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 31 May, 2013 09:44 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:
And I am going to keep looking unless I can make the 'gravy' with hot pepper flakes, cumin and chili powder.

you can give up on being a friend of a Canajun with an attitude like that toward poutine gravy

seriously.

We may apologize to doors when we bump into them, but we do occasionally get pissed off and messing with poutine gravy could do it (at least in the eastern part of the country).

If you're talking born and bred Prairie types you usually have to know varenyky.
margo

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 02:05 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

If you're talking born and bred Prairie types you usually have to know varenyky.

please explain>!?
Setanta

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 02:42 am
You didn't get all bent out of shape when we went to that over-priced fru-fru place with the chorizo in the poutine gravy. Curds are real cheese.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 05:38 am
ehBeth's right - it certainly is regional. I think there might be one fast food joint that sells poutine here in Calgary. I'm sure you can get it elsewhere but I've never looked, so have no idea. I know I've never eaten it - it's a heart attack in a bowl. I don't even like fries so I know I wouldn't like poutine. Sacrilege, I know, but then, I'm from Vancouver where we love our sushi.
Setanta

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 05:47 am
Heart attack in a bowl . . . mmmmmmmmmmmmmm . . .
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 07:44 am
@margo,
The Canadian prairies have a very large Ukrainian, Polish, Russian etc population. We you go to a wedding and so on, buffet of any type at all, doesn't matter if the hosts are lebanese or italian or irish, you'll find perogy and cabbabge roles on the menu. It's a regional thing.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 07:48 am
@Mame,
All the fast food places that serve gravy now have poutine. But it's horrible stuff for the most part, most of them just use Mozzarella. We have one upscale Poutine place in Edmonton. I've never been. When I was in T.O. stayed in a hotel across from a poutine restaurant. I'm not sure if it was open or not, never saw anyone come or go.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 09:26 am
@Ceili,
You were across from Smoke's Poutinerie. It's busiest after midnight - especially between stripper sets across the street. Smoke's also has at least one truck in town.

They're expanding across Canada now - there's one in Edmonton, one in Calgary, a bunch in BC. Wherever you find people from NB and Quebec you need a poutine joint.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 10:29 am
Every time I meet a Canadian I ask if they're an American, then I have to apologise.

There really should be some way of telling you people apart, can't you wear name badges or something?
Ceili

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 03:22 pm
@ehBeth,
Makes sence. It was an interesting neighbourhood... kinda like my hood at home.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 03:26 pm
@izzythepush,
Were generally paler ;0
Long winters and all...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 03:30 pm
Even the Burger King here makes an at least "not bad" poutine, and they use real cheese curd. I can't imagine what slapping some mozzarella on fires and pouring brown gravy over must be like, and i don't really want to find out. Harvey's has got some good poutine. Just ask Thomas, who didn't want to share.