I Am Learning to Speak Canadian. Please help.

ossobuco

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 03:40 pm
@Setanta,
But..
Thomas steals your whole plate..

(waves to Thomas)
Setanta

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 03:43 pm
You can live here a long time, and still slip up. I often took the little dogs to a local church, and i would sit on the steps and they would lie down on the lawn. One evening, women were coming out of the church with girls, their daughters i assumed, so i asked one woman: "Girl Scouts tonight?" She looked at me blankly for a moment, and then said: "Oh . . . Girl Guides." I had tipped my hand, i had revealed my nationality.
chai2

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 03:55 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Russell Peters is just about the funniest comedian in Canada . . . how to become a Canadian.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOm-15621bs[/youtube]

When I heard this guy referring to hamburgers and hot dogs as barbeque, I had to laugh.

ha.
ha.
ha.

I was in New Jersey last week, and on a day I had taken to myself, I drove around, flaring up conversations with complete strangers, telling them I'd never been to NJ before.
"You know what? This is the first time I've ever seen the ocean."
"You know what? My friend told me all about NJ pizza, and I'd never had any before, before this slice (this on the Point Pleasant boardwalk)"

The pizza guy was funny. He asked me if his NJ pizza "lived up to my expectations".
I said "oh yea, it's great! (actually it was so-so) Ya'll have to come to Texas to have some of our barbeque."

"Oh" he said, "We got barbeque here. There's this place in Jackson that's got great steak tips"

Steak tips?

I told him steak tips wasn't barbeque. This was news to him.

An aside....people from NJ have no idea of the difference amongst the accents of the people from Mississippi, North Carolina, Texas, Georgia etc. etc.
Therefore you do not have to try hard to convince someone you are from Texas, even if you're afraid you still have the vestiges of a NE accent from 30 plus years ago.

Texas BBQ....

http://www.etraveltrips.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/texas-bbq1.jpg

Steak tips.....

http://img4-3.myrecipes.timeinc.net/i/recipes/ck/10/01/steaktips-peppered-gravy-ck-l.jpg
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 08:37 pm
you have to actually EAT barbecue from ANYwhere before you judge it. The BBQ served by Slick's in Muskogee is Nothing like the BBQ that come out on an actual plate in Knoxville, Tennessee .
Joe (Slick serves his on white butcher paper.)Nation
Debacle

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 08:43 pm
@Setanta,
Set, when I lived in England, I seldom revealed my nationality, neither by my accent nor in the things I said.

North American, yes, but U.S., no. Couldn't begin to count the times folks would ask me, "Are you Canadian?"

I'd reply, "Naw suh, Amurican."

"Well," they'd say. "You certainly sound Canadian."

"Well good gawd a'mighty! Whenja evah heah a Canadian tawk lack this?"

"Well, you sound Canadian to me."

Incredible! Don't they evah watch T.V. or go to the filums?

If they persisted, Ah'd tell 'em, "Looky heah, now. The onliest shure far way a tellin' a Canadian fum an Amurican is that ever thang a Canadian sez sounds lack thur astin' a question."
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 08:43 pm
@cherrie,
cherrie wrote:

As an Aussie he would have had a hose, not a hosepipe.

Well he was, and he didn't.

0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 09:25 pm
@Joe Nation,
uhhh.

that is Knoxvull, andy...

and be sure to order the cole slaw on the side.
Debacle

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 09:42 pm
@Rockhead,
Right, Knoxvull.

But if you was to get lost in the boonies, happily you'll eventually find yourself in the Moonlite http://www.moonlite.com/ in Owensboro, KY.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 09:48 pm
@ossobuco,
Well, Thomas didn't actually eat the plate.

I think.

He certainly enjoyed the poutine and the couple of dozen butter tarts I bought.

Laughing

and the peameal roast Joeblow made and the amazing eggs benny Mr. Joeblow made with peameal the next morning

0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 09:56 pm
It's BBQ because that's what we cook it on. Is it southern, nope. But it's BBQ like it or not. Are we about to tell the Argentinians. Brazillians or Uruguayans what they cook isn't BBQ? I doubt it.
chai2

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 10:47 pm
@Ceili,
Hey, where I grew up it was the same thing....it as barbeque because it was cooked on that little round bbq grill in the back yard.

If the hot dog was boiled inside the house, it wasn't bbq.

But I learned it's not just about the apparatus, but the method of preparation. involving different spices, sauces, length of cooking time etc.

Sure I would call bbq from all different areas of the world bbq. But not just based on the fact it has little black grill marks on it.

I'm sure Canada has it's own great versions of bbq.

If it's a hotdog done outside I'll call it a grilled hotdog (or grilled hamburger let's say) because it was done on the grill, if that's all that was done to prepare it.

BBQ has lots of versions, in my mind it's the preparation method.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 10:58 pm
@chai2,
Given that this is the "speak Canajun" thread, the deal is that we cook on bbq's outside - not grills - and everything that's cooked on those bbq's is bbq.

That other stuff called bbq (some of which is amazing) is as much bbq (to Canajuns) as Chinese bbq'd pork is bbq (most Canajuns don't consider it bbq).
chai2

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 11:02 pm
@ehBeth,
Isn't the apparatus used to bbq a grill?

Just trying to get terminology right.

Oh, I know about smokers of course. BBQ comes out of smokers as well.
chai2

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 11:03 pm
@chai2,
btw, off to beddy bye now. sleepy sleepy time, eh?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 2 Jun, 2013 04:03 pm
A friend of mine reminded me yesterday that, when I first moved to New York, I did that "I'm sorry." "Sorry." "Excuse Me" thing ALL THE TIME.

It was beaten out of me.

Just like my tendency to say "Hello" to everyone on the street.

Joe(the only people more friendly than me were the hookers in Times Square)Nation
Eva

Reply Sun 2 Jun, 2013 04:19 pm
@Joe Nation,
<Sigh> ...

All that training, gone to waste...

<Sigh>
0 Replies

Debacle

Reply Sun 2 Jun, 2013 04:36 pm
@Joe Nation,
Same with me, Joe. Only I was in England, saying hi, hello or howdy to everybody I met on a sidewalk (or footpath.) Even when ramblin' over hills and hollers in open terrain and passed anyone within noddin' distance.

Always met with one of two reacations. Either they'd jerk awake, jump aside and say, "Oh, hello" and then quicken their pace, or else they wouldn't say diddly squat, just jump aside and gawk at me.

There's a problem for us Hoosiers and our ilk; we never met a stranger.

De(no, mam, I sho ain't lookin' for a good time)bacle

I saw a beggar leaning on his wooden crutch,
He said to me, "You must not ask for so much."
And a pretty woman leaning in her darkened door,
She cried to me, "Hey, why not ask for more?"

Shut up, Leonard

0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 2 Jun, 2013 04:37 pm
@ehBeth,
I'm sitting here nibbling on pulled pork and fall apart tender ribs.

and smiling.

at least y'all don't try to make mexican food...
ehBeth

Reply Sun 2 Jun, 2013 04:58 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Isn't the apparatus used to bbq a grill?

nope

it's kind of the reverse here - technically, we grill on the bbq - and the whole event of using the bbq is called a bbq - so you invite people over for an afternoon bbq

this is a bbq in Canada

http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/image/CanadianTire/0853296_1?$medium$&defaultImage=image_na_EN

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/2/OutdoorLiving/BBQs/NaturalGasBBQs/PRD~0853063P/Master+Chef+S420+Natural+Gas+BBQ.jsp?locale=en
ehBeth

Reply Sun 2 Jun, 2013 05:00 pm
@Rockhead,
Big Mexican community here and toward where djjd lives.

Except it's Mexican, not Mexican-American. Most Mexicans I know here are IT professionals.

Some really phenomenal Mexican restaurants in Toronto.