I Am Learning to Speak Canadian. Please help.

FOUND SOUL

Reply Sun 2 Jun, 2013 05:02 pm
@ehBeth,
Toronto is where my "daughter" of IDK 8 years lives. She cracks up when she speaks to me on the phone, wondering how you all like Aussie accents eh?

Should be over there all going well, next year around this time... Should meet up too eh?

Wink
ehBeth

Reply Sun 2 Jun, 2013 05:06 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
Birthday partay!
FOUND SOUL

Reply Sun 2 Jun, 2013 05:14 pm
@ehBeth,
Haha.

Hell yeah !!! Wink That would be awesome....

We'll try to aim at the wedding before and therefore, be there around that date Wink Just Ms Kia, diabetic................Must find someone that comes to the house for that long Sad
0 Replies

Debacle

Reply Sun 2 Jun, 2013 05:26 pm
Longest peaceful border in the world, eh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZxa2D84IIo
ossobuco

Reply Sun 2 Jun, 2013 08:01 pm
@Debacle,
Tangent, but not all so far..

Gopnik on Rob Ford:
http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/comment/2013/05/rob-ford-anthony-weiner-shakespeare.html
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 3 Jun, 2013 01:01 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

chai2 wrote:

Isn't the apparatus used to bbq a grill?

nope

it's kind of the reverse here - technically, we grill on the bbq - and the whole event of using the bbq is called a bbq - so you invite people over for an afternoon bbq

this is a bbq in Canada

http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/image/CanadianTire/0853296_1?$medium$&defaultImage=image_na_EN

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/2/OutdoorLiving/BBQs/NaturalGasBBQs/PRD~0853063P/Master+Chef+S420+Natural+Gas+BBQ.jsp?locale=en

Fit right in down here!

'zackly the same!
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 3 Jun, 2013 04:29 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

chai2 wrote:

nope

it's kind of the reverse here - technically, we grill on the bbq - and the whole event of using the bbq is called a bbq - so you invite people over for an afternoon bbq

this is a bbq in Canada

http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/image/CanadianTire/0853296_1?$medium$&defaultImage=image_na_EN

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/2/OutdoorLiving/BBQs/NaturalGasBBQs/PRD~0853063P/Master+Chef+S420+Natural+Gas+BBQ.jsp?locale=en

This is a bbq in the U.S. also.....

We call it a grill, or a bbq grill.

So, we're all talking about the same apparatus.

Americans invite people over for a bbq also. We don't invite them over for a grill.
When I was a girl, in NJ, that meant hot dogs and hamburgers with grill marks on it, prepared on a grill, or bbq grill.

Now that I'm somewhere else, when people refer to bbq, they refer to the same apparatus, only including how the food is prepared, i.e. rubs, sauces, marinades, etc. You can do this yourself, or buy it prepared by someone who has a huge barbeque, and all the different sauces, rubs, marinades....which they've developed themselves. Which is why people prefer going to different places, and why they get to passionate about whose bbq is better.

If you google images for "grill" you come up with the same exact thing....like this....

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR22oqWLntHS17QHo3K7yK_0vqTnGa6hDyAQ7EO96N3lkNOcIxD

It's a bbq grill, all right?

chai2

Reply Mon 3 Jun, 2013 04:48 am
BTW, to clear things up....

Re my first post about the Indian family of Russel's, and the BBQ that he was inviting his friends to to make them "Canadian".....

I wasn't arguing, or even commenting on the fact he was calling it a BBQ, since he was obviously preparing it on a bbq grill.....it was the fact that all he was cooking was hot dogs and hamburgers.

Which is tied into the (maybe old and outdated) joke that Canadian food is bland....now before you get your chonies is a twist, that's not something I personally made up. You can find plenty of references online.

Hence, I took the joke as "calling plain hot dogs/hamburgers bbq" (same as what I grew up with) but now I, and a lot of people who live all over, even Argentina, think of food that's been infused with all sorts of hot/spicy/sweet/etc. flavors, as opposed to a hot dog with grill marks on it.

ehBeth

Reply Mon 3 Jun, 2013 06:25 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

ehBeth wrote:

chai2 wrote:

nope

this is a bbq in Canada

the learning to speak Canajun thread

it is a bbq - not a bbq grill or a grill

it is a bbq

a grill here is a kind of restaurant - traditionally a place where there will be a short-order cook behind a counter - grilled cheese will always be on the menu at a grill

if Joe tells his new gal he's going to a grill, she'll think he's going to a restaurant

if he tells her he's going to a bbq, she'll know he's going to a friend's place where food will be bbq'd on a bbq
Joe Nation

Reply Mon 3 Jun, 2013 06:47 am
Thus far, I think I have learned I must say "Sorry" at numerous times and we successfully determined what the process of cooking various meat products is called.

Joe(This is taking longer than I thought it would)Nation
Setanta

Reply Mon 3 Jun, 2013 07:00 am
Shut up, Joe ! ! !

Wait a minute . . . you asked the question . . . uhm . . . Oh, sorry.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 3 Jun, 2013 07:20 am
@Joe Nation,
Now we move to the "thank you" portion of the competition.

You must always be the first AND last person to say thank you in any interaction where there is any possibility thank you might be in any way appropriate (or not).
George

Reply Mon 3 Jun, 2013 09:13 am
Question:

Is it required of all Canadian waitstaff that they resond "Perfect" to
whatever the customer orders?
roger

Reply Mon 3 Jun, 2013 12:30 pm
@George,
That's better than overhearing something like "Oh look! He's eating it".
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 3 Jun, 2013 03:01 pm
Is it true that the helpstaff in stores in Canada are, shall we say, not as intrusive as the associates in your basic American shopping centers?

Joe(god helps those who help themselves?)Nation
FOUND SOUL

Reply Mon 3 Jun, 2013 03:12 pm
@Joe Nation,
"thank you" for asking that question.

Apparently I am learning too, you have to say thank you at every opportunity Smile
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 3 Jun, 2013 07:25 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

chai2 wrote:

ehBeth wrote:

chai2 wrote:

nope

this is a bbq in Canada

the learning to speak Canajun thread

it is a bbq - not a bbq grill or a grill

it is a bbq

a grill here is a kind of restaurant - traditionally a place where there will be a short-order cook behind a counter - grilled cheese will always be on the menu at a grill

if Joe tells his new gal he's going to a grill, she'll think he's going to a restaurant

if he tells her he's going to a bbq, she'll know he's going to a friend's place where food will be bbq'd on a bbq

Oh, I'm sorry, is the one of the rare as hen's teeth threads where no one says absolutely nothing unless it specifically pertains to the thread?

You didn't start the thread even, and didn't chime in until the 3rd page, so relax.

Why aren't you making these same type points to all the other people who have dared to post about England, Australia and other places, but making no mention of Canada?

I think you're taking this whole thing that this is supposed to be only about how Canadians speak a little too far.

BTW, I've randomly asked about 4 or 5 people today if they consider a hot dog that was cooked outside with little burn marks on it bbq, and the responses were all on the level of.....What? Are you kidding.

Again, I'm sure Canada has some excellent bbq, whether in your terminoloy, mine or someone who's out there watering his lawn with a hose pipe.

Relax, it's just a little joke thread.
chai2

Reply Mon 3 Jun, 2013 07:26 pm
@chai2,
thank you.

<snort>
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 3 Jun, 2013 08:21 pm
@Joe Nation,
Depends on the store. If its marked with big red and yellow signs advertising a 'close out' sale. You can guarantee they'll follow you like sharks. Or if you go car shopping, but why would you.. cars are way more expensive here and not in a good way.
Some name brand stores, where people have drunk the Koolaid, are more obnoxious than others or they'll totally ignore you. Pretty much par for the course where ever I've been. Except Thailand where an elderly woman yelled "You wasse my time, get out!!. After being dragged unwillingly to yet another tailor shop by a Tuk Tuk driver. I stuck to cabs after that.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 3 Jun, 2013 08:42 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Now we move to the "thank you" portion of the competition.

You must always be the first AND last person to say thank you in any interaction where there is any possibility thank you might be in any way appropriate (or not).

That sounds just like Hawaii. Either "Thank you" or "Mahalo" (means the same thing) are the two most commonly heard words anywhere you go. They'll thank you that you asked them for directions to the public toilet.