Game over for gun controls in any country in the world

BillRM

Reply Thu 9 May, 2013 05:23 pm
Well if you have a fairly cheap 3d printer you to can now manufacture your own undetectable firearms.

A hundred thousands copies of the first plans for such a firearm are out there so game over for gun control in any country in the world.

Quote:

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/05/09/dod-forces-3d-gun-printer-defense-distributed-to-pull-weapon-specs-off-website/

Pentagon scrubs 3D gun plans from Internet, says designer
By Perry Chiaramonte
Published May 09, 2013
FoxNews.com

Defense Distributed was forced to have the blueprints for its "Liberator" 3D-printed gun removed from its website by the Dept. of Defense (FoxNews.com)

May 5, 2013: A 3D printed gun created by Defense Distributed is successfully test fired by creator Cody Wilson. Wilson plans to put the blueprints for the gun online shortly. (Defense Distributed)

A portion of a downloadable blueprint that a 3D printer can use to build a gun.
Next Slide Previous Slide
The world's first 3D-printed handgun, The Liberator, has had its liberty taken away by the government.

Plans for the working handgun were posted online Monday by Cody Wilson, founder of Defense Distributed, potentially allowing anyone with access to a 3D printer to make a firearm from plastic. The plans, which had been in the works for months, caused alarm among gun control advocates but were seen by some Second Amendment advocates as a breakthrough. More than 100,000 copies of the plans were downloaded before the federal government took the files.
“[Defense Distributed's] files are being removed from public access at the request of the U.S. Department of Defense Trade Controls," read a banner atop the website. "Until further notice, the United States government claims control of the information.”

Wilson tells FoxNews.com that he decided to comply to a request by the Pentagon to take down the gun specs from his website while he weighs his legal options.

"They asked that I take it down while they determine if they have the authority to control the info," he said. "It's clearly a direct response to everything we did this week. 3D printing is clearly not the best way to make an effective weapon."
"Until further notice, the United States government claims control of the information.”
- Defense Distributed website

Wilson says he has complied to most laws on the books and feels that the D.O.D.'s request may be more politically motivated.
"If this is an attempt to control the info from getting out there, it's clearly a weak one," he said, adding that the CAD design for the weapon has already spread across the Internet at downloading sites like the Pirate Bay.
Officials from the Department of Defense did not immediately return requests for comment.
All 16 parts of the controversial gun, called the Liberator, are made from a tough, heat-resistant plastic used in products such as musical instruments, kitchen appliances and vehicle bumper bars. Fifteen of the components are made with a 3D printer while one is a non-functional metal part which can be picked up by metal detectors, making it legal under U.S. law. The firing pin is also not made of plastic, though it is easily crafted from a metal nail.
The weapon is designed to fire standard handgun rounds and even features an interchangeable barrel so that it can handle different caliber rounds. The blueprint files were made available online today for download.
Defense Distributed is a not-for-profit group founded by Wilson, a law student at the University of Texas. He said the Liberator project was intended to highlight how technology can render laws and governments all but irrelevant.
"I recognize that this tool might be used to harm people," Wilson told Forbes. "That’s what it is -- it’s a gun. But I don’t think that’s a reason to not put it out there. I think that liberty in the end is a better interest."
His publishing of the printable blueprints online instantly sparked outrage in the U.S.
Using the file, anyone with access to a 3D printer could theoretically print the gun with no serial number, background check or other regulatory hurdles.
U.S. Rep. Steve Israel, D-N.Y., has already called for national legislation to ban 3D-printed guns.
"Security checkpoints, background checks and gun regulations will do little good if criminals can print plastic firearms at home and bring those firearms through metal detectors with no one the wiser," Israel said.
"When I started talking about the issue of plastic firearms months ago, I was told the idea of a plastic gun is science-fiction," he added. "Now that this technology is proven, we need to act now to extend the ban on plastic firearms."
Sky News contributed reporting to this story.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 14,056 • Replies: 118

BillRM

Reply Thu 9 May, 2013 05:43 pm
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Thu 9 May, 2013 07:40 pm
I hope all the gun nuts make one. I understand after a few rounds it tends to blow up in ones hand.
BillRM

Reply Thu 9 May, 2013 08:20 pm
@RABEL222,
Quote:
hope all the gun nuts make one. I understand after a few rounds it tends to blow up in ones hand.

It a first of it kind and a proof of principles and people will created far better weapons using the same technology in very short order.

The name of the gun is the same as a WW2 throw away gun that was simple and cheap to make that the allies was planning on dropping in great numbers [millions] in Europe to make the Germans unhappy.

Somehow I have a feeling that the designer was aware of the above when he name this prototype weapon.
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 9 May, 2013 08:27 pm

I first saw this technology about 3 years ago.
It's pretty cool, but I never fired a 3D firearm and have no desire to print one up.
roger

Reply Thu 9 May, 2013 08:29 pm
@BillRM,
I suppose any day now, you're going to need an FFL to sell a printer.

Seriously, I doubt they showed us the first shot it fired. It sure wouldn't be my hand holding a plastic prototype without ever having it fires from a Ransom or other device.
BillRM

Reply Thu 9 May, 2013 08:33 pm
@H2O MAN,
Quote:
I first saw this technology about 3 years ago.
It's pretty cool, but I never fired a 3D firearm and have no desire to print one up

What is interesting to me is not the first prototype, cheap at home weapon but the fact that technology is going to be placing more and more abilities for the home hobbies to turn out weapons on the cheap if need be and the internet is going to spread that knowledge world wide no matter what the governments of the world desire.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 9 May, 2013 08:42 pm
@roger,
Quote:
I suppose any day now, you're going to need an FFL to sell a printer

This is just the beginning and even if you decide to stop the 3-D printer technology as useful as that promise to be that is a stop gap at best.

You would need to freeze all technology in wide areas to deal with both the internet and the new manufacture technologies. .

Having the designer take the CAD plans off the net after it been downloaded a 100,000 times and is already on the peer to peer networks is a pitiful response to say the least by the US government.
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 9 May, 2013 08:46 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Having the designer take the CAD plans off the net after it been downloaded a 100,000 times and
is already on the peer to peer networks is a pitiful response to say the least by the US government.

Agreed.
raprap

Reply Fri 10 May, 2013 05:12 am
Technology like this will only lead to technology that makes firearms obselete.

Considering that most ammunition require caps it is only an application of technology that will allow directed energy to initiate those caps remotely.

Something like that will make large capacity magazines into larger and larger remotely controlled hand gernades. Just imagine a situation where all of the ammunition in your large capacity wannja be assault weapon goes off in your hands.

I love science, sooner or later science fiction becomes established technology.

BTW this sort of application of technology only proves the well established adage--offensive weapons and tactics are quickly supplanted by defensive weapons and tactics.

Rap
Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 10 May, 2013 05:24 am
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

BillRM wrote:

Having the designer take the CAD plans off the net after it been downloaded a 100,000 times and
is already on the peer to peer networks is a pitiful response to say the least by the US government.

Agreed.

It may be a silly question, but if one of these guns is used to kill someone in the USA, would it be feasible to go after the guy who put the design on line?
Conspiracy? Aiding in some way?
Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 10 May, 2013 05:36 am
Tico will know.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 10 May, 2013 06:44 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

H2O MAN wrote:

BillRM wrote:

Agreed.

It may be a silly question, but if one of these guns is used to kill someone in the USA, would it be feasible to go after the guy who put the design on line?

Would you go after vehicle designer(s) the next time someone in the US or the rest of the world is killed with a motorized vehicle? Silly question?
Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 10 May, 2013 07:15 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

H2O MAN wrote:

BillRM wrote:

Agreed.

Who are you to say it is a silly question.
Would you think it reasonable if I inferred that you were the village idiot for trying to compare a car, which is primarily designed to be a means of teansport, with a gun which is designed only to have one function, to fire a bullet which can maim or kill?

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 10 May, 2013 07:23 am
@Lordyaswas,

Who are you to suggest it was a silly question and why is it that you know nothing about guns & cars?
BillRM

Reply Fri 10 May, 2013 07:55 am
@raprap,
Quote:
Something like that will make large capacity magazines into larger and larger remotely controlled hand gernades. Just imagine a situation where all of the ammunition in your large capacity wannja be assault weapon goes off in your hands.

Nonsense for any numbers of reasons such as most guns are still metal and the caps are surrounded by metal that would shield any RF attempts to set them off remotely.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 10 May, 2013 07:58 am
@H2O MAN,
I think you need to upgrade your spectacles, h20.

Now scroll back and get someone to read the last few posts for you.

And what, pray tell, was wrong with my previous post re. guns and cars?

I asked a question. You just swatted it aside in not a very nice way, and you wonder why I challenge that.
I (thank god) do not reside in your country, so I am unfamiliar with your laws, hence the question.
If, as the host and author of this thread you do not have the courtesy to answer me in a civilised fashion, then that's your failing.

In your opening lines, you stated that this gun is undetectable. I will now ask another question or two and expect grown up answers this time.

Is it legal for someone to own an undetectable firearm in the USA?
If not, is it legal to publish how to make one?

If the Boston bombers had got the bomb making instructions from a USA website, would the publisher have been breaking the law?

Now remember, I'm a guest visitor on your thread and not from the USA, so please excuse my knowledge gap regarding your laws and whatever you do, don't go getting your knickers in a twist again over thinking up a smart answer, as you will only be derailing your own thread and that would be silly.
H2O MAN

Reply Fri 10 May, 2013 08:03 am
@Lordyaswas,
Quote:
Silly Question? Conspiracy? Aiding in some way?

Yes, no and no.

I wonder if you would ask the same questions if the Obama administration
had posted the entire ObamaCare plan online for all to download and read?

Unfortunately this was not the case because as Princess Pelosi said:
" we have to pass it before we know what's in it" or some stupid **** like that.

I guarantee ObamaCare will kill more Americans than any 3D printed weapons.
BillRM

Reply Fri 10 May, 2013 08:04 am
@Lordyaswas,
Quote:
t may be a silly question, but if one of these guns is used to kill someone in the USA, would it be feasible to go after the guy who put the design on line?

NO!!!!!!!!!!

To short stop the anti gun people from attacking the firearm manufactures they have been given special protections from civil suits and other legal actions.

Next you can not go after someone for detailing how a "crime" could be achieve due to the first amendment . In that regard a far right author wrote a book concerning the bombing of the FBI building in Washington detailing how to do so and Tim McVeigh used that book as a guide in his bombing of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in downtown Oklahoma.

No charges of any type could be placed on the author for having such details plans in his book and then having someone used them to bomb a Federal building.
BillRM

Reply Fri 10 May, 2013 08:08 am
@Lordyaswas,
I
Quote:
s it legal for someone to own an undetectable firearm in the USA?
If not, is it legal to publish how to make one?

No that is the reason that the designer placed a piece of metal in his prototype and his plans however that can of course be removed if you do not care about breaking such laws.
0 Replies