Game over for gun controls in any country in the world

izzythepush

Reply Fri 25 Oct, 2013 03:03 pm
@BillRM,
I can confirm that there were experts talking about metal printers on the BBC today. The military have been using them for some time apparently. Btw, your article has changed, now it's looking like it's a spare part for the printer itself, not a bit of a gun after all.

Quote:
A man suspected of possessing a 3D printer with component parts to make a gun said the seized equipment had "nothing to do with a gun whatsoever".

It follows police raids in Greater Manchester on Thursday, in which officers seized computer equipment.

The arrested man said the suspicious parts were simply parts for the 3D printer.

Experts have also cast doubts on the claims, saying the parts were not sophisticated enough to make a gun.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-24669969
parados

Reply Fri 25 Oct, 2013 03:04 pm
@BillRM,
Just google 3d metal printer. I hadn't known about them before either.

They use a laser to heat metal dust. Titanium seems to be popular.

AMAZE hopes to build a satellite with a 3d metal printer and save weight from not having to bolt anything together.
parados

Reply Fri 25 Oct, 2013 03:06 pm
@parados,
Article here with pictures of parts.

http://www.3ders.org/articles/20130118-3-meter-long-titanium-airplane-part-3d-printed-in-one-piece.html
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 25 Oct, 2013 04:15 pm
@parados,
Thanks and is it not amazing how the technology keep advancing?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 25 Oct, 2013 06:51 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
I can confirm that there were experts talking about metal printers on the BBC today.
The military have been using them for some time apparently.
If the military can do it,
then that proves that it is possible.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 25 Oct, 2013 06:54 pm

I look forward to the day when silent fasers (classic Star Trek)
will be replicated in the home; such that the target vanishes when hit.

David
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 25 Oct, 2013 08:29 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
I have no doubt that 3D printers will pump out huge volumes of AK47 submachineguns for the household,
to the consternation n frustration of supporters of victim disarmament.

Full auto weapons require a certain degree of precision. But perhaps that could be achieved by 3-D printers.

However, one additional thing they require is lots and lots of quality ammo. And if this is taking place under a government that is trying to prevent the ownership of weapons, the need to continuously manufacture and distribute a large amount of ammo is a serious liability.

A much better weapon for clandestine production under an unfriendly government would be the equivalent of a sawed-off double-barreled shotgun.

Such a gun would be a lot less complicated to create. It would expend ammo at a much lower rate. And the ammo would be much easier to manufacture. Just cast a bunch of round lead balls and you have a ready supply of buckshot. You wouldn't even need to worry about having your buckshot made to an exacting size tolerance.
BillRM

Reply Fri 25 Oct, 2013 08:36 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
A much better weapon for clandestine production under an unfriendly government would be the equivalent of a sawed-off double-barreled shotgun.

You would hardly need a 3-D printer to produce such a weapon just a trip to a hardware store plumber section.

Hell there was two gentlemen that produce a working double barrel shotgun for a prison break using curtain rods and match heads and a battery and broken light bulbs.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 25 Oct, 2013 08:40 pm
@oralloy,
During the US civil war period there was one hell of a weapon that was a revolver with a shot gun build in.

If you can not deal with the problem with 6 or so rounds of handgun bullets you still have one shot gun blast.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/02/Le_Mat_Revolver.jpg/300px-Le_Mat_Revolver.jpg

RABEL222

Reply Fri 25 Oct, 2013 08:56 pm
@BillRM,
Look for yourself. If you find its true I can see you buying a printer and printing yourself A 60 cal. machine gun. I dont want to be any help for something like that!!
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 25 Oct, 2013 09:04 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
During the US civil war period there was one hell of a weapon that was a revolver with a shot gun build in.

If you can not deal with the problem with 6 or so rounds of handgun bullets you still have one shot gun blast.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/02/Le_Mat_Revolver.jpg/300px-Le_Mat_Revolver.jpg

I bet the recoil was stiff.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2013 12:54 am
@oralloy,
Yes, with the discharge of a shotgun round,
but the piece itself is very heavy, absorbing some of the recoil.
Of course, it is not as heavy as a shoulder-mounted shotgun is.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2013 01:02 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:
I have no doubt that 3D printers will pump out huge volumes of AK47 submachineguns for the household,
to the consternation n frustration of supporters of victim disarmament.

Full auto weapons require a certain degree of precision. But perhaps that could be achieved by 3-D printers.
AK47s?? Kiddest thou me???
Thay have a reputation; very ruff fit; rugged and cheap. RELIABLE!!
I understand that thay have been selling in Arab bazaars for $12 for years.

David
oralloy

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2013 02:11 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
AK47s?? Kiddest thou me???
Thay have a reputation; very ruff fit; rugged and cheap. RELIABLE!!
I understand that thay have been selling in Arab bazaars for $12 for years.

There are some tolerances beyond which even an AK-47 will not function. However, upon reflection, I think it is likely that 3-D printers will be able to manage those tolerances.

Will 3-D printers also be able to make bullets and brass? If so, perhaps that will solve the problem about the need for a reliable supply of ammo.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2013 08:03 am
@oralloy,
That leaves us with the issue of powder; any ideas ?
oralloy

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2013 04:30 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
That leaves us with the issue of powder; any ideas ?

My first thought is that the powder needs to be low tech and easy to make clandestinely. And the gun needs to function reliably using such powder.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 15 May, 2014 11:54 am
Quote:

http://bluesky.chicagotribune.com/chi-arrest-3d-printed-guns-bsi-news,0,0.story

A 27-year-old Japanese man was arrested on Thursday for illegally possessing handguns made by a three-dimensional printer, media said, marking the first such case in Japan, a country that takes pride in its low crime rate.

Police in April found five plastic guns and a 3D printer at the suspect's home in Kawasaki, south of Tokyo.

Two of the handguns were later proved capable of killing or wounding people, although no bullets were found at his home, public broadcaster NHK said.

Police also found blueprints for manufacturing guns stored in the suspect's personal computer. The blueprints were believed to have been downloaded from the Internet, NHK said.

"I made the guns by the 3D printer at home. I did not think it was illegal," the suspect, a college employee, was quoted by NHK as telling police.

A spokesman at Kanagawa Prefectural Police, which covers Kawasaki, declined to comment.

The suspect has frequently made Twitter entries aimed at justifying possession and manufacturing of guns and once said on the Internet "Gun restrictions are violation of human rights," NHK said.

Jiji news agency reported the suspect also possessed 10 toy guns.

(Reporting by Kiyoshi Takenaka; Editing by Nick Macfie)

Email

0 Replies

nikkdagger

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2014 07:05 am
I guess we just have to wait until 3D printing will actually take off.

At this point, it seems like a bad thing, because for people who are for the liberalization of gun control laws the situation can be perfectly described by this picture:
http://helpfulpapers.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Gun-Control-Essay.jpg
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2014 07:29 am
@nikkdagger,
I am not a gun manufacturer,
but I avidly support a lot more guns for the citizens!

The voters in Tenn. who defeated Al Gore in 2OOO
were not all GUN MANUFACTURERS, but thay resented his gun control desires.
0 Replies