"There was two Mini Cooper parked in front of my house", or "there WERE two mini coopers"?

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 02:52 am
Hi there,

This has been bugging me for some time. Which statement would you say makes more sense grammatically?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 9 • Views: 19,830 • Replies: 459

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 04:39 am
@ExplosionsHurt,

there were two mini coopers.

"was" indicates that there is only one...
fresco

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 08:15 am
@Region Philbis,
...or alas, that you are a product of second rate educational system. Sad
Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 08:34 am
What is you trying to say here?
0 Replies

Aesop

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 08:39 am
@Region Philbis,
It depends on the subjunctive mood wise guy.
Both sentences are valid depending on the context.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 09:21 am
Oh, this oughtta be fun. Just bookmarking. I ain't saying nothin'!
fresco

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 09:39 am
@Aesop,
Geschwätz !
Aesop

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 09:43 am
@fresco,
Erklären !
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 10:21 am
This thread is full of more sh*t than a manure spreader . . .
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 10:30 am
@ExplosionsHurt,
They would have said "was" in Boswell's day. But they didn't have Mini Coopers then. I think it is much more stylish that "were".

I have met plenty of young ladies who say "I were" and "we was". It is attractive to my ear. It signals that the charges won't be extortionate. Not at first anyway.
0 Replies

Aesop

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 10:33 am
The dog **** over here smells the worst. Whew!
Where is my handkerchief?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 10:34 am
@Aesop,
What exactly is the "subjunctive mood" Aesop?

Has it anything to do with Underneath the Arches?
Aesop

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 10:42 am
@spendius,
The verb can be either was or were since it is used in subjective, doubtful, hypothetical, or grammatically subordinate statement depending on the context (supposing vs unexpected), such as this example in the forum.
The best method of course is to try to avoid "there is" and its various constructions, which many authorities consider "weak."
Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 10:45 am
@Aesop,
You're so full of sh*t your eyes must be brown.
Aesop

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 10:50 am
@Setanta,
Want an example Mr. Not-so-full-of-****?
Mark Twain - If there was two birds sitting on a fence, he would bet you which one would fly first.
Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 10:54 am
@Aesop,
And you call that an authority?

I'm not the one here who is completely clueless about the use of the subjunctive in English. Here, do a little reading before you make a fool of yourself again. "Were" is the past subjunctive form of to be in English, not was.
JTT

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 11:03 am
@fresco,
I haven't noticed anything in particular that would suggest Region hasn't had a decent education, Fresco.
0 Replies

Aesop

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 11:08 am
@Setanta,
There was two boys eating oranges.
How is "There" Insertion ordered with respect to the Verb Form rules and Passive transformation in this example then?
Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 11:15 am
@Aesop,
You can do your bullshit dance to your heart's content. You're blowing smoke. That sentence is not in the subjunctive mood, and if it were, the past subjunctive form of to be in English is "were." No matter how much nonsense you make up in a failed attempt to make it look as though you know what you're talking about, that doesn't change.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 11:24 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
I'm not the one here who is completely clueless about the use of the subjunctive in English. Here, do a little reading before you make a fool of yourself again. "Were" is the past subjunctive form of to be in English, not was.

A little harsh, doncha think, Setanta, considering you stopped reading after the first paragraph.

Quote:
Terminology varies; sometimes what is called the present subjunctive here is referred to simply as the subjunctive; and, the form were may be treated just as an alternative irrealis form of was rather than a past subjunctive.

Even the first paragraph had all you would have needed, if you had [subjunctive mood] even a basic understanding of this area of language, to prevent you from making a fool of yourself.

"In Modern English the subjunctive form of a verb is in many cases the same as a corresponding indicative form, and thus subjunctives are not a very visible grammatical feature of English."

You frequently hypercorrect on this very issue because of the ignorance you've absorbed on this topic.

0 Replies