"There was two Mini Cooper parked in front of my house", or "there WERE two mini coopers"?

JTT

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2013 02:40 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
Would you accept the use of "loves" in this

Quote:
i know O'George loves this song.

Describe what's wrong with it, Spendi.

Do you have grammatical concerns? Laughing
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2013 02:43 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
The only problem with that, JT, is that ducks and geese migrating and salmon returning to their birthplace are not part of the certain things I was referring to.

You haven't been referring to the language issues for some time because, as I've already noted, you haven't the foggiest notion of the language issues.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2013 02:46 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
Describe for me some rules that are prescriptive.

That names of people begin with a capital letter. Which mr e.e,cummings abused as does Setanta when he wishes to downplay his ego. As you do with my username.

That you don't put the cart before the horse.

There's a grammar to every activity that is civilised. Manners. Etiquette. Form.
spendius

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2013 02:51 pm
@JTT,
I now get a rosy glow of satisfaction when you say I'm a "full-blown idiot" (the hyphen does matter), or a "terribly confused mutt".

"Terribly" is the wrong word. It's use demonstrates a lazy mind. Especially in written form. It's as bad as "awfully".
JTT

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2013 03:13 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
That names of people begin with a capital letter. Which mr e.e,cummings abused as does Setanta when he wishes to downplay his ego. As you do with my username.

There's no need to editorialize just to hide your ignorance on this subject. Just describe the prescriptive grammar rules.

Quote:
as does Setanta when he wishes to downplay his ego

That's happened here at A2K??!!
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2013 03:17 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
"Terribly" is the wrong word.

Why do you take such pains to highlight your ignorance, Spendius?

Treat us to another glorious eruption of Spendium.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2013 03:21 pm
Mini Cooper is not a plural just as corvette is not both singular and plural. There was one goose in the front yard, there were two geese in the front yard. Correct gammar and informal spoken English usually differ. Spoken English tends to relax the grammar. However, if you are applying for a job, your résumé and job interview should be done in accordance with proper grammar. You never go wrong with correct grammar, sometimes you might appear less than sharp if you rely on slang or sloppy sentence construction.

I'm more than a little surprised that such a simple question could create such heat. I'm guessing this is more about personality clashes than grammar primers. I'm not interested in taking sides and I'm not sure at this point with which poster I may or may not agree. I'm not sure why I even posted since this whole whoop de do is pretty silly.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2013 03:27 pm
@glitterbag,
I've just been reading David Foster Wallace, whom I've probably avoided for years since he was famous and had a three word name. Kidding. That man could write, and write in more complex ways than this bifurcated grammar hullaballoo, much ado.
JTT

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2013 03:38 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
I've just been reading David Foster Wallace, ... . That man could write,

And yet he was another prescriptivist buffoon, Osso. He was a shining example of the difference between conscious and and unconscious knowledge of English grammar.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2013 03:42 pm
glitterbag says:
Quote:
I'm more than a little surprised that such a simple question could create such heat. I'm guessing this is more about personality clashes than grammar primers. I'm not interested in taking sides and I'm not sure at this point with which poster I may or may not agree. I'm not sure why I even posted since this whole whoop de do is pretty silly

That's kind of what happens when you've got a descriptivistnazi in the house.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2013 04:02 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

glitterbag says:
Quote:
I'm more than a little surprised that such a simple question could create such heat. I'm guessing this is more about personality clashes than grammar primers. I'm not interested in taking sides and I'm not sure at this point with which poster I may or may not agree. I'm not sure why I even posted since this whole whoop de do is pretty silly

That's kind of what happens when you've got a descriptivistnazi in the house.
[/quote

I don't know what that means. I don't think I want to know.

Ossobucco, I know what you mean, sometimes authors blow me away with their skill.
To the other poster: you can learn something from someone you envy or dislike. If you are smart, you will educate yourself, if you aren't smart, c'est la vie.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2013 04:04 pm
@glitterbag,
However this thread strikes you, gtb, the argument is not "silly".

Everything the contra-prescriptivist says is banal. It is well known that there are different ways of using language depending upon location, class, habit, pronunciation, accent, spelling and even different meanings to the same word.

A standard usage, as you imply, provides a unity. The land mass now known as the USA had many languages, as I gave an example of, not very long ago. Now there is a semblance of a unified standard which is a symbol of a unified political entity.

JTT is well known for drawing attention to the damage the US causes to the world and perhaps thinks that returning the area to what it used to be in terms of language use will eliminate the power. Which it would if there was a few dozen or more localised tribes and no prescriptivist base line.

The argument is not silly. It is silly to assert that it is.
JTT

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2013 04:10 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
Correct gammar and informal spoken English usually differ. However, if you are applying for a job, your résumé and job interview should be done in accordance with proper grammar. You never go wrong with correct grammar,

Quote:

Stan·dard English

NOUN:
The variety of English that is generally acknowledged as the model for the speech and writing of educated speakers.

Usage Note:
People who invoke the term Standard English rarely make clear what they have in mind by it, and tend to slur over the inconvenient ambiguities that are inherent in the term. Sometimes it is used to denote the variety of English prescribed by traditional prescriptive norms, and in this sense it includes rules and usages that many educated speakers don't systematically conform to in their speech or writing, such as the rules for use of who and whom. In recent years, however, the term has more often been used to distinguish the speech and writing of middle-class educated speakers from the speech of other groups and classes, which are termed nonstandard. This is the sense in which the word is used in the usage labels in this dictionary. But it should be borne in mind that when it is used in this way, the term is highly elastic and variable, since what counts as Standard English will depend on both the locality and the particular varieties that Standard English is being contrasted with. A form that is considered standard in one region may be nonstandard in another, and a form that is standard by contrast with one variety (for example the language of inner-city African Americans) may be considered nonstandard by contrast with the usage of middle-class professionals. No matter how it is interpreted, however, Standard English in this sense shouldn't be regarded as being necessarily correct or unexceptionable, since it will include many kinds of language that could be faulted on various grounds, like the language of corporate memos and television advertisements or the conversations of middle-class high-school students. Thus while the term can serve a useful descriptive purpose providing the context makes its meaning clear, it shouldn't be construed as conferring any absolute positive evaluation.

http://education.yahoo.com/reference/dictionary/entry/Standard%20English

0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2013 04:20 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

However this thread strikes you, gtb, the argument is not "silly".

Everything the contra-prescriptivist says is banal. It is well known that there are different ways of using language depending upon location, class, habit, pronunciation, accent, spelling and even different meanings to the same word.

A standard usage, as you imply, provides a unity. The land mass now known as the USA had many languages, as I gave an example of, not very long ago. Now there is a semblance of a unified standard which is a symbol of a unified political entity.

JTT is well known for drawi. ng attention to the damage the US causes to the world and perhaps thinks that returning the area to what it used to be in terms of language use will eliminate the power. Which it would if there was a few dozen or more localised tribes and no prescriptivist base line.

[/quot

Something tells me you are pontificating. The fact you assert this issue to be so important is silly. Lets compromise, I will acknowledge that this is superficially important if you will acknowledge the responses are all heat and no light. Sometimes an orange is just an orange, not symbolic of superficial tarted up self important clap trap designed to make someone sound smarter than the rest of the membership.

Well this has been as much fun as I thought it would be, don't think I need any more fun of this sort. Everybody go enjoy the rest of the evening.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2013 06:34 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
JTT is well known for drawing attention to the damage the US causes to the world and perhaps thinks that returning the area to what it used to be in terms of language use will eliminate the power. Which it would if there was a few dozen or more localised tribes and no prescriptivist base line.

The one above is completely bonkers. To call it an argument is, in itself, bonkers.
spendius

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 06:24 am
@JTT,
Two assertions. As such, meaningless. A prescriptivist requires verbal expressions to have meaning to the reader or listener.

Prescriptivism, as I have said without reply, is concerned with manners, etiquette and form as well as with communication. Fetish. Even superstition.

It also helps to form a disciplined mind.

Only a contra-prescriptivist would be so far bereft of manners, good form and discipline as to inflict on a discourse two superfluous quacks.
JTT

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 11:51 am
@spendius,
Says Mr Empty Assertions. You're so far out to lunch, Spendi. You don't even understand the meanings as they relate to this discussion on language. Any comment you have made about how language works has been specious.
spendius

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 06:19 pm
@JTT,
I would consult an expertologist if I was you JT.
JTT

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 07:57 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
if I was you JT

"Were" is the past subjunctive form of to be in English, not was.
JTT

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2013 02:03 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
Re: spendius (Post 5269726)
if I was you JT

"Were" is the past subjunctive form of to be in English, not was.

Quote:
It also helps to form a disciplined mind.

Is this you, an example of an undisciplined mind, Spendius?