I am injured. Dammit.

Joe Nation

Sat 2 Mar, 2013 05:51 am
@Setanta,
Thanks....yes, patience.....I hear it's a virtue.

I haven't got any.

If my dogs **** in the house, I'd really stare at them.

Joe(on their way to a good home)Nation

Wink
JTT

Sat 2 Mar, 2013 04:57 pm
@Joe Nation,
Quote:
Joe(as if it matters)Nation

You didn't get the sarcasm, Joe. I know it was subtle. Of course, it doesn't matter.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Sat 2 Mar, 2013 05:00 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:
If my dogs **** in the house, I'd really stare at them.

doesn't work with the blind dog Confused

but she is a good girl and really does try to find her way out in time

easy to be peeved when you're cleaning up the pee pads and towels but oh so difficult to be upset with her

0 Replies

Joe Nation

Sun 3 Mar, 2013 01:24 pm
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-cdrJ1n7ItBw/UTN4wiwFBHI/AAAAAAAAYQI/T3SXIDzmvJw/s400/direction+3-3-2013+6-43-22+AM.JPG

Slowly making some progress, the tightness now is only in the right calf, but it's very tight. Lots of static squats and calf stretches bring temporary relief.

Epsom salts?

~Onward, ~~~~an actor friend of mine just gave my his Academy copies of Skyfall, Life of Pi and Les Miserables.

Joe(which to watch first?)Nation
MattDavis

Sun 3 Mar, 2013 01:49 pm
@Joe Nation,
The only one of those I have yet seen, is Skyfall.
Obviously the movie is exciting. Thematically it is not terribly deep (who'd expect it to be?), but it does touch a little on intelligence (the characteristic) and identity.
Fun to watch, I won't trouble you (or anyone else) with a dissertation on the film. Wink
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sun 3 Mar, 2013 01:49 pm
@Joe Nation,
Now there's a bonanza..
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Wed 6 Mar, 2013 06:10 pm

Still have some pain, the muscles seem to take turns, the calf seizes, then whatever is the one below the menicus followed by the back of the knee aching
I have very little trouble during the day, I can massage my way along or do squats or whatever, it's during the night that the pain gets to me.

Joe(I. am. getting. better.every. day.)Nation
edgarblythe

Wed 6 Mar, 2013 06:24 pm
@Joe Nation,
That's the attitude, jo(keep on trucking)e.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Wed 6 Mar, 2013 06:25 pm
@Joe Nation,
Recommendation: if you don't have a heated mattress pad, get one. When I've had muscle problems in the past, they've always been worse at night, and they were much worse when I didn't have the heat on.

Cheers
Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

JTT

Wed 6 Mar, 2013 07:32 pm
@Joe Nation,
Quote:
the calf seizes ... it's during the night that the pain gets to me.

If the calf muscle seizes, day or night, you could try this little trick, Joe. Lay on your back, keep your body straight and flat against the bed/floor and try to touch your belly button with your toes. The harder you reach with your toes, the more you will stretch out your calf muscle and the quicker the cramp will stop. When you have a really tight, hard cramp, the first five seconds or so will be very painful but don't stop reaching with your toes. The cramp will go quickly.

This also works for muscle cramps above the knee but it isn't as effective as it is on the calf muscle.

nextone

Wed 6 Mar, 2013 07:54 pm
@JTT,
Try to keep your muscles warm . Heated pad was a good suggestion, or even a sheepskin pad could help. Sweatpants as PJ bottoms, with a matching top, very stylish, might help.
JTT

Wed 6 Mar, 2013 08:05 pm
@nextone,
Joe(nudie)Nation sleeps in the buff. Everyone knows that pj's are for wussies.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Thu 7 Mar, 2013 09:32 am
Good suggestions all,
I can get my heels onto my belly button, but not my toes. heh.
Going to work on slowly pulling the toes downward. I think there is a name for that asana, I just can't think of it.

Doing bicycles, both forwards and backwards does a lot of good, so does, surprisingly enough as I found out last night, reaching up to the ceiling smoke alarms. The stretch lit up the whole right side all the way down to knee and beyond, but then, ......blessed relief.

So now that has become part of the routines.

Things are much better this morning, and last night was a good one.

RE: Heating pads and P.J.s : Yes, on the heating but only when I am sleeping alone; the red headed um, heater provides more than enough and doesn't like either the wire or the competition.

I have heard about people wearing clothes in bed, mostly pioneers or campers, but I haven't done so for about forty years.

Joe(except on first dates or when I have house guests, as a form of courtesy.)Nation
Cycloptichorn

Thu 7 Mar, 2013 10:29 am
@Joe Nation,
A heated mattress pad goes over the entire bed and provides a really low-level heat all night. And it's adjustable on both sides (good thing for me, as my wife likes hers about 4 times as hot as I do).

Glad you are feeling better...

Cheers
Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Setanta

Thu 7 Mar, 2013 10:38 am
There are two dietary remedies for night-time leg cramps, i've used them both and they both work. One is to make sure you get plenty of potassium in your diet--you can get that from bananas and peanuts, but you have to eat a lot. The Girl did some online research and found out that avacados are a very good source.

The other is calcium, which can be used as a remedy at the time you experience the cramps. If you chew up two of the antacid tablets which contain calcium (check the label), they go to work right away--relief within about 15 to 20 minutes. I've been using Tums.
0 Replies

JTT

Thu 7 Mar, 2013 10:49 am
@Joe Nation,
Who is asana?
Ragman

Thu 7 Mar, 2013 11:40 am
@JTT,
Not sure whether or not you're kidding but an asana is a yoga body position.
JTT

Thu 7 Mar, 2013 12:41 pm
@Ragman,
Thanks Ragman. I never knew that.
0 Replies

MattDavis

Thu 7 Mar, 2013 09:39 pm
@Joe Nation,
Quote:
I can get my heels onto my belly button, but not my toes. heh.

I am having trouble visualizing exactly what you are describing do you mean a variation on Butterfly Pose (Purna Titali Asana) ?

This is one of my former instructors:

I apologize in advance for the cheesiness factor. Wink

Matt (you know I'm only kidding Gabe) Davis
Joe Nation

Sun 10 Mar, 2013 06:51 am
@MattDavis,
Thanks for the video.
I'm glad someone is still teaching how to hold postures for extended periods of time in order to be able to sit (for even longer periods) in meditation.

I saw the other day that somebody (it has to be Americans) has decided to have something called Competitive Yoga. What the hell? What's next? Speed reading the Rosary? Having an actual point system to grade the 13 year kid's Bar Mitzvah? (He did well, only two points off for not getting Yom Khah´mee´shee right.)

Oooh, maybe, ....Competitive Meditation !!!
Watch the tape replay, Phil, you can see his facial expression go ever so slightly joyful, that's a thought passing through his conscious sense, or so say the judges, so that's a point off for the champion.
Anyway, ...no, I think what JTT described was a posture on your back. Bringing the feet up and holding them as close to your core as you can while you exhale. It seems to me to be more of a groin stretch that anything else.
~~
Talked via phone to doctor yesterday. Whined about how long this was taking, he says another three to four weeks, bubbie, what do you want?

I'm helping my girlfriend move her stuff to a new apartment. Carrying boxes up and down stairs....gingerly...and today I will be installing closet hardware....because I am crazy....

Joe(about her, about life, )Nation